Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 7 1 2345 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    10/26/2008 2:47am

Style: karate,MMA(between gyms)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Comic: BJJ vs Pancrase. How do the japanese see BJJ?

http://www.onemanga.com/Historys_Str...enichi/229/01/

EVERY TIME ive seen BJJ in japanese Anime, it's almost always with the BJJ guy getting beat.

IE grappller baki for instance. They rarely ever have a badass BJJ charecter. Never seen it. Muay thai will get great respect(IE Apachai, Sagat, Adon) as well as boxing and wrestling, but never BJJ.

Is there some stupid little cultural competition?

Posted On:
    10/26/2008 2:48am

Style: karate,MMA(between gyms)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

You know though, i really love this comic. It's like a fruitier version of Noritaka the trouble maker.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/26/2008 4:33am

Style: MMA + Harmonica

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What? Everyone knows BJJ people ALWAYS jump guard. If you blindfolded one, spun him around and bumped him into a lightpole that lightpole would get armbared the **** out

Posted On:
    10/26/2008 4:52am

Join us... or die
     Style: Hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by illegalusername
    What? Everyone knows BJJ people ALWAYS jump guard. If you blindfolded one, spun him around and bumped him into a lightpole that lightpole would get armbared the **** out
    For some weird reason that makes me think of BJJ magnets.

Also **** histories strongest ****-tard. The author is a fucking moron, seriously, and I think Baki is shitty. HSD is fucking garbage to the max. It's utter faggotry in it's purest form.

I hope the mangaka fagg who draws this **** gets his ass beat by an amy MMA fighter. Seriously, the stupid fucker needs a reality check, the story line and fighting explanations go BEYOND fiction.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/26/2008 8:01am

Style: Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ever notice that Brazilians don't win by decision in Japan, even when they clearly win by decision in Japan? Case in point: Royler Gracie v. Hideo Tokoro, K-1 Dynamite, 12/31/06. Not to mention the stoppage in the Sakuraba fight.

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    10/26/2008 8:29am

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BJJ losing is a common theme in Japan.

Remember that in Japan MMA didn't start with UFC it actually started in the late 80s by Pro Wrestlers. You get BJJ on the scene and all their heros go down.

Manga reflects that distaste:

Garouden: BJJ fighter who was previously undefeated gets trounced by the hero.

Minorou: BJJ Brazilian member of a Karates school turned MMA gets beaten in grappling by a NINJA. However this is the manga that introduced BNJ (Brazilian Nin-Jutsu).

Grappler Baki: Again fictional Gracie beaten down easily by Baki's father.

TOUGH: Constantly puts down GJJ in that Wrestlers and JJJ have better technique. "Compared to this Gracie JuJitsu is just a massage." Tough was filled with PANCRASE placement so there was no bias there. /sarcasm.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/26/2008 8:56am

Style: BJJ, boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think the reason why BJJ won't get popular in mangas is because nobody would like to read 50 pages about people grappling on the ground. I like grappling, but I wouldn't have read a 50 pages comic about a grappling match unless it's so realistic I could learn from it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/26/2008 9:17am

Style: ukemi & tapping out

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's an over the top martial arts manga. It's a fun read, but don't take it seriously. You have to admit, some of the master characters are pretty awesome and hilarious.

Knock-off Cthulhu

Posted On:
    10/26/2008 12:40pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fodland
    I think the reason why BJJ won't get popular in mangas is because nobody would like to read 50 pages about people grappling on the ground. I like grappling, but I wouldn't have read a 50 pages comic about a grappling match unless it's so realistic I could learn from it.
    You clearly haven't read enough manga if you think that those guys can't make literally anything entertaining. Tennis? Go? Pool? Even goddamn baseball? Check, check, check aaand check. And that's just something from the top of my head.
    Curiosity killed the cat. But damn it had a blast.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/26/2008 1:06pm

Style: BJJ, boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hpr
    You clearly haven't read enough manga if you think that those guys can't make literally anything entertaining. Tennis? Go? Pool? Even goddamn baseball? Check, check, check aaand check. And that's just something from the top of my head.
    Oh, I've watched anime and read manga for 11 years, I know how much crap the japanese can make entertaining ( I bet they even have a Mah Jong manga). But still, for me to read it, they'd have to do more than include a big breasted woman who only wins matches because the opponents get choked out by her breasts, or faint from bloodloss ( from nosebleed) when she get's into a north-south position

If the manga had only been 3 volumes or so, I'd read it, but if it had been as long as Hajime no Ippo, NO WAY.
Page 1 of 7 1 2345 ... LastLast