Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

I'm grindin' 'till I'm tired...

Posted On:
    11/01/2011 8:19pm

Style: Judo. Some BJJ/Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Name of this turtle turnover into armbar?

When I attack the turtle, my go-to technique is to get a hook in and go for a face-down armbar. This has been pretty so-so in terms of success rate for me.

Recently I discovered that you can turn someone over onto their backs from this position, then go for the armbar from there. No one at my club seems to know what this technique is called exactly, or the finer points of doing it.

Here is the technique: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaLqVKdzlmE
    (skip to 0:30).

I'm trying to find a video that breaks down the technique step by step and shows a few more details. The one I linked to here would be perfect if the first two parts that the coach refers to were up on youtube (and the camera wasn't behind his back).

My search-fu turns up nothing. Doesn't help that I don't know what it's called or how to describe it.

Anyone have a good guide to this technique that I can use to supplement my training?
    "[Fighting for Points] is doubtless very pretty, and invariably draws applause, but preferences should always be given to blows that do some business, to good straight hits that do something toward finishing the fight.
    A man who has carefully trained for brilliant tapping play, will find himself considerably out of it in case he is called upon to do any real work."
    -A.J. Newton, Boxing.

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer.

Posted On:
    11/01/2011 8:25pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Doesn't really have an official name, Judo doesn't label transitional techniques like that.

"Juji gatame roll over" is probably the best you're going to get... note that there are quite a few variations of this technique.

Edit: found a few here for you:

I actually find it better to pull the leg around towards your head rather than try to pull them straight over like he does in that vid.

It's also worth taking an extra second to secure their arm properly by gripping your own collar (which this guy doesn't bother doing for some reason).

This one, they have a better chance of locking their arms so you gotta **** around breaking their grip afterwards. In BJJ who gives a ****, but in Judo you're unfortunately always on the clock (you're not clear on what you're training... I'm figuring BJJ. PS edit your style field man!).

Edit edit: Here's Craig Fallon doing a better version.

http://www.britishjudoeducation.org....ll-over-entry/

Edit edit edit: haha, so fucking obvious... good luck getting this to work on anyone with half a clue though.

http://www.britishjudoeducation.org....it-back-entry/
    Last edited by Lu Tze; 11/01/2011 8:45pm at .

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    11/01/2011 10:13pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    good discussion of turtle turnover to armlock here http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...t=96853&page=1
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Posted On:
    11/02/2011 11:10am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks guys, that's exactly what I'm looking for.
    "[Fighting for Points] is doubtless very pretty, and invariably draws applause, but preferences should always be given to blows that do some business, to good straight hits that do something toward finishing the fight.
    A man who has carefully trained for brilliant tapping play, will find himself considerably out of it in case he is called upon to do any real work."
    -A.J. Newton, Boxing.

Posted On:
    11/02/2011 12:17pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Epicurus View Post
    Here is the technique: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaLqVKdzlmE
    (skip to 0:30).

I'm trying to find a video that breaks down the technique step by step and shows a few more details. The one I linked to here would be perfect if the first two parts that the coach refers to were up on youtube (and the camera wasn't behind his back).
    That's the Neil Adams Juji, roll. He says so on the video 'Yesterday we did the Russian version, this is the Adams' version'.

There are plenty of videos on it, but I'm going to blow my own horn here and say that my blog description of the technique is the best breakdown available, for free, on the internet.

http://thedifficultway.blogspot.com/...ll-hidden.html

The 'Russian' version he talks about is the Iatskevitch roll

I break down the Iatskevitch roll here:

http://thedifficultway.blogspot.com/...vitch-and.html

Posted On:
    11/02/2011 7:00pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    That's the Neil Adams Juji, roll. He says so on the video 'Yesterday we did the Russian version, this is the Adams' version'.
    Couldn't make out the word "Adams", I thought he was saying "Abbot" and spent like 10 minutes googling that.

Thanks for the links, they're good stuff.
    -A.J. Newton, Boxing.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/03/2011 8:40am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here is another nice turtle turnover

Silent Guardian

Posted On:
    11/03/2011 10:40am

Business Class Supporting Member
     Gladiators Academy Lafayette, LA Style: Judo, MMA, White Trash JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's actually called the "post series" since you post on your forehead.

Adams and Siesenbacher(sp) were the two guys who utilized this in tournaments and popularized it.

There are several grips and variations but they are all very effective.

Adams utilized a figure four grip and Siesenbacher used a lapel grip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk please ignore typos.
    Judo is only gentle for the guy on top.