Administrator

Posted On:
    3/02/2012 9:55am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eudemic View Post
    I suppose it's worth mentioning that despite everything I've had to say about the sword instruction, I've developed a grudging respect for the man and what he's passionate about. I mean, while it is different from what I am used to seeing, it isn't bad (some of the sword stuff aside); and I'm not about to complain about keeping rare arts from snuffing out. It may seem otherwise because of how critical I've been, though.
    What CP said. You also have to remember, at least in my opinion, it is the mediocre students that make an art not the elite. There are guys that make things work. I mean how many videos exist of a 1 year student vs 10 year "master" and the beginner hold his own and wins?

Posted On:
    3/02/2012 11:07am

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    What CP said. You also have to remember, at least in my opinion, it is the mediocre students that make an art not the elite. There are guys that make things work. I mean how many videos exist of a 1 year student vs 10 year "master" and the beginner hold his own and wins?
    Sure. How many formalized styles are there, founded by a superior fighter, consisting of the stuff that worked specifically for that fighter? The founder always seems to be head and shoulders above anybody who trains in that style, because it's optimized for his abilities.

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/02/2012 11:13am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    IMO that's how the 5 and 10 year myths were born. Like I tell people, many of the newer CMA masters, that don't allow cross training, conveniently forget the founders and major students trained in multiple styles under different teachers. Hell, if the myths and histories are taken as truth, these people actually finished learning everything form their master and were given letters to train with someone in a different style or someone with more knowledge.

Posted On:
    3/02/2012 11:45am

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Like I tell people, many of the newer CMA masters, that don't allow cross training, conveniently forget the founders and major students trained in multiple styles under different teachers.
    Yeah, the founder of Mantis supposedly took concepts from 18 other contemporary styles.

Hell, if the myths and histories are taken as truth, these people actually finished learning everything form their master and were given letters to train with someone in a different style or someone with more knowledge.
    The founder of Choy Lay Fut being one, iirc.

Posted On:
    3/02/2012 2:46pm

Style: Limalama, Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is one seminar I really would like to attend. There is so little intact knowledge in the area of non-Chinese/Japanese influenced martial arts left that every one is precious information.

As to cross training yes all the original chunners, if their stories are to be believed, cross trained extensively, in some stories they changed teachers yearly. They also sparred against each other and engaged in physical conditioning, little talk of their chi protecting them.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/02/2012 3:31pm

Style: Out of Practice

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by HereBeADragon View Post
    This is one seminar I really would like to attend. There is so little intact knowledge in the area of non-Chinese/Japanese influenced martial arts left that every one is precious information.
    You know that Bullshido has a whole sub-forum dedicated to Western Martial Arts here, right? With all kinds of information about and practitioners of martial arts that (mostly) have no connection to the Far East?
    Last edited by Eudemic; 3/02/2012 3:34pm at . Reason: Because I edit all of my posts.

Posted On:
    3/02/2012 4:25pm

Style: Limalama, Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eudemic View Post
    You know that Bullshido has a whole sub-forum dedicated to Western Martial Arts here, right? With all kinds of information about and practitioners of martial arts that (mostly) have no connection to the Far East?

Yes I do and I keep up with it and post from time to time. I am also very into saber and longsword fencing. Wish there was more of it in my area.
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213