Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Style
    Sento-jutsu
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Ashida Kim selling video without permission

Hello folks,
    I was wondering what the legal options are considering the following.
    Ashida Kim is selling a video of something that is already on Youtube featuring me. Here is the link.
    http://www.dojopress.com/catalogvt93.html
    I understand that his making a profit off of something featuring me without my permission in a privately owned building is very bad for him legally.
    And I really want to find a way to screw him royally.
    Any advice and/or help would be appreciated. My purpose is not to stop him and make him take the link down. I want to find a way to really screw Radford Davis and maybe the rest of the Bukakke Dragon Society in the ass.

Style
    Sento-jutsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here is the video I am talking about. Yes, I am the guy facing the camera at the start of the video.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXce...ature=youtu.be

Style
    BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1) Get a lawyer who will work with you on contingency. You're probably looking for someone that has expertise/experience with Copyright and/or DMCA.
    2) Don't post **** here or anywhere else about the incident in question or the case.

Style
    Judo
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You are Don Roley, the guy in the video I watched in the other thread about this guy Ron Collins?

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...=26809&page=16

"I understand that his making a profit off of something featuring me without my permission in a privately owned building is very bad for him legally."

Why would you assume that it is bad for him legally? Even if you knew you were being recorded the video doesn't belong to you, so whoever made it can copyright and sell it, unless there's something I'm missing. It seems like you consented to being recorded, and invited him into the dojo, the video of it is now being sold (presumably...I doubt anyone would buy it) online by the same party?

I'm not an expert on the civil or criminal laws here but I know you can copyright video you take in a public space (even inside a privately owned building), without getting consent (unless you're filming kids).

The good news is the "story" told at http://www.dojopress.com/catalogvt93.html completely contradicts what's visible in the video, and a lot of what is written in that thread about Ron Collins.

That might provide some consolation...any schmuck dumb enough to shell out "Retail $19.95 + $5 Priority Mail" for a 14 minute cellphone video burned to DVD is going to get what they pay for: a video of Ron Collins and his posse of thugs trying to physically threaten you, and Ron Collins in particular pussying out and backing down from of a lot of what he's said in other videos. I mean it's clear as crystal, you offered to settle this dispute on the mats in a friendly way, and he tucked his cock between his legs.
    Last edited by Pship Destroyer; 11/16/2016 5:16pm at .

Style
    TKD, CMA & American Kenpo
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sadly, whether or not it is legally 'bad for him', it won't be financially good for you Mr. Roley. The problem here isn't anything to do with permissions, copyrights, etc., it would be finding an attorney to take your case on a contingency basis. You would have to pay an attorney to represent you and when you sue a guy who is in his late 60's and still living with his parents, you won't likely collect anything. Ashida Kim (Radford Davis) is kind of like a Thomas Daw, only Ashida actually sold a few of his books (not likely enough to offset publishing / printing costs).

You may want to consult with an attorney, an asset search may actually reveal that Radford owns something. You may have to prove that the use of your image caused you to suffer a loss of some sort.

Style
    lol yet again more Judo !
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Holy Moment View Post
    Sub (Or whomever shitcans these posts), can you please title my Trollshido thread "Ashida Kim: Born Again" when you move my forum detritus there?
    I am on it. I am gonna put this whole thread in YMAS and get that name change in all up on th...

Quote Originally Posted by submessenger View Post
    1) Get a lawyer who will work with you on contingency. You're probably looking for someone that has expertise/experience with Copyright and/or DMCA.
    2) Don't post **** here or anywhere else about the incident in question or the case.
    Wait ... wtf?
    Are we really leaving it here?
    Well ****.

So yeah, OP; Submessenger, Slamdunc, and **** even Pship has given you pretty solid advice.

I would like to add that you will be judged by the company you keep and the works you leave behind. You are now and forever connected to the most assinine and stupid martial arts clubs ever to have wasted space on the earth.

Why did you have them as your peers? I have to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Pship Destroyer View Post
    You are Don Roley, the guy in the video I watched in the other thread about this guy Ron Collins?

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...=26809&page=16

"I understand that his making a profit off of something featuring me without my permission in a privately owned building is very bad for him legally."

Why would you assume that it is bad for him legally? Even if you knew you were being recorded the video doesn't belong to you, so whoever made it can copyright and sell it, unless there's something I'm missing. It seems like you consented to being recorded, and invited him into the dojo, the video of it is now being sold (presumably...I doubt anyone would buy it) online by the same party?

I'm not an expert on the civil or criminal laws here but I know you can copyright video you take in a public space (even inside a privately owned building), without getting consent (unless you're filming kids).

The good news is the "story" told at http://www.dojopress.com/catalogvt93.html completely contradicts what's visible in the video, and a lot of what is written in that thread about Ron Collins.

That might provide some consolation...any schmuck dumb enough to shell out "Retail $19.95 + $5 Priority Mail" for a 14 minute cellphone video burned to DVD is going to get what they pay for: a video of Ron Collins and his posse of thugs trying to physically threaten you, and Ron Collins in particular pussying out and backing down from of a lot of what he's said in other videos. I mean it's clear as crystal, you offered to settle this dispute on the mats in a friendly way, and he tucked his cock between his legs.
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.

Style
    street paddleboarding
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How much do you think they'll possibly profit off that video? Who the **** would buy it?

Style
    Wrestling

Style
    Barre Fighting
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    How much do you think they'll possibly profit off that video? Who the **** would buy it?
    I think that video is hilarious, but I sure wouldn't buy it. I would, however, buy one of these:

http://dojopress.com/catalogts2.bdfs.html

Name:  Dante.jg.jpg
Views: 337
Size:  52.7 KB

All this power for $30:
    In one of his more famous books, Rudyard Kipling described how a young spy was secretly trained to save himself if captured by holding up an amulet and proclaiming himself to be a Brother of the Charm (whatever it might be), implying that if he were harmed his brothers would come to avenge him. This might make his captors hesitate long enough for him to devise an escape or to seize the initiative and strike first. So too it is with the Black Dragon Fighting Society, very often the mere mention of our name is enough to restore order or prevent a mugging. Therefore, in these troubled times, we offer this, our banner, to those who may need it. Members of this group are considered Tatenokai, the Shield Society, who must act in a manner befitting a martial artist and may petition for membership and volunteer to serve as unregistered agents of the society, much like the Baker Street Irregulars of the Sherlock Holmes novels.
    Maybe if we all get one we can get a discount.

Then, there's also this:

http://dojopress.com/catalogbk41.html

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cvr-AAAK.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	28.9 KB 
ID:	17209

I totally wouldn't get this (wink, wink). I mean, I'm already a ninja in the bedroom.

Style
    BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey View Post
    I am on it. I am gonna put this whole thread in YMAS and get that name change in all up on th...

Wait ... wtf?
    Are we really leaving it here?
    Well ****.

So yeah, OP; Submessenger, Slamdunc, and **** even Pship has given you pretty solid advice.

I would like to add that you will be judged by the company you keep and the works you leave behind. You are now and forever connected to the most assinine and stupid martial arts clubs ever to have wasted space on the earth.

Why did you have them as your peers? I have to know.
    I was considering just merging the relevant posts with yet another Ashida Kim MABS thread, but sometimes you gotta go wide instead of deep. Crap has been moved to HM's thread: http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=126162

Page 1 of 2 12 Last