Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/27/2011 1:50am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    how exactly are you gonna do that through this vlog? im honestly intrigued.
    The martial arts community will watch this blog, whether they want to see me get my ass kicked or they are actually curious to see how a street fighter can fare against experts of various fighting styles. So with that attention, I hope to spread the work of Chris Nowinski - a Harvard graduate and former football player/professional wrestler who has dedicated his life's work to studying the human brain of athletes involved in sports that deal with concussive and sub-concussive blows to the head.

The fact that kids are sparring with head shots disturbs me. It's 2011 - we need to be more educated on this issue. I also think that there should be a type of sport fighting that allows fighters to compete without worrying about long-term effects on their brain and personality. People can say fighters who avoid taking head shots are cowards all they want, but if you're willing to take a roundhouse kick to the ribs, you have my respect.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/27/2011 1:52am

Style: 'Grapplin'

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by danhorgan View Post
    The martial arts community will watch this blog, whether they want to see me get my ass kicked or they are actually curious to see how a street fighter can fare against experts of various fighting styles.
    Streetfighter = Untrained, unproven stick figure ginger?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/27/2011 1:53am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Star View Post
    Dan, i'm no expert by for, nor will I ever be, but if I may with respect...

Within any style you really have perfecting of technique. With each technique designed for a specific purpose whether defensive or offensive and have many many different factors, some of which I know you know, such as timing, judging distance, reading your opponent, and many others. When you spar those that have practiced on these things for quite sometime, you'll find it a little more challenging that it might seem by just watching others. I know you know all this, so it's kind of an opening for me, please be patient. It's really hard to get anything down thats usable with just 6 months. Not that it can't be done to a degree, but to maximize your learning experience with others, it'll be difficult. I know it's not a comparing of what you learned vs. what they've learned... but when your spending more time trying to figure out how to do something while in motion, that will detract from actually seeing and learning from what they're doing.

It sounds like you'll have a lot of fun doing what you mentioned, just be careful you don't injure yourself or someone else by accident. Live the dream.
    I agree with everything you said, and I know what I'll be up against. That's hopefully what will make this vlog worth watching.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/27/2011 1:54am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Juggernoob View Post
    Streetfighter = Untrained, unproven stick figure ginger?
    Yup! You nailed it buddy

Posted On:
    10/27/2011 1:57am

Style: Limalama, Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think the dangers of brain injury are already well documented in this thread.... I do however truly hope this continues. Btw I'd suggest looking up a kyokushin karate dojo for your first fight.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/27/2011 1:59am

Style: 'Grapplin'

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok, with that settled, we need to discuss your criteria for combat.

I think headshots should be in, given that a lot of striking arts contain heavy amounts of headshot delivery techniques. No headshots would lead to weak data and a weak study. It also makes you a massive ***** with no credibility, because you'd be handicapping other martial artists for the benefit of your weak chun form i.e low hands, chin stuck out.

One answer to this, would be, using Muay Thai as an example, no headshots for them, but no shinpads for you.

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    10/27/2011 1:59am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    you still havent removed boxing from your style field.

Posted On:
    10/27/2011 2:01am

Style: Kettles (MA hiatus).

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There's plenty of styles which don't have head shots, tkd, plenty of karate variants. Whilst grappling can bash you on the head with the ground there aren't head shots there either. Do your homework mate.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/27/2011 2:03am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by HereBeADragon View Post
    I think the dangers of brain injury are already well documented in this thread.... I do however truly hope this continues. Btw I'd suggest looking up a kyokushin karate dojo for your first fight.
    That's good thinking. There's not a lot of Kyokushin here in Massachusetts, but I am willing to travel to fight. So far I've sent out challenges to TKD and Kempo fighters.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/27/2011 2:03am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: The art of No Style

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey Dan, could you tell me what you seek to accomplish from your adventure and your end goal? Is it that street fighting has credibility? I'm very interested to understand your point of view. I can see wanting to experience all the different forms of martial arts, but sparring isn't always the best way to achieve that, unless they use specific types of attacks/defenses (such as bars, take downs, pressure strikes, ...).
Page 3 of 152 FirstFirst 123 45671353103 ... LastLast