Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    7/14/2014 7:11am

Bullshido Newbie

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Should I switch school?

Here's a little backstory:

I started BJJ 3 months ago at a reputable school. The classes are taught by a brazilian instructor(black belt) with real street cred, he competed in brazil etc. I have made decent progress in these 4 months. It started out with me tapping to almost everyone to me holding my own against some of the lower-mid blue belts in class. I managed to catch afew blues who are smaller sized than me as well(maybe they let me, but whatever) .There are still a handful of tough higher white belts who can kick my ass and basically any higher blues and above can own me. We have a handful of purple and brown belts in the school, white and blues making the bulk. I rolled with the instructor once, and getting owned is an understatement.

While the head instructor paid attention to me when I was starting out and still points out my mistakes from time to time, I feel that I learned the most from rolling with the more experienced guys, and we have plenty of them over here. The vibe of the gym is pretty laid back, Im not BFFs with the guys over there but its a friendly environment generally and they will usually let me know if I am doing something wrong during drilling or sparring.

I intend to do muay thai somewhere in the future as well, after I got decent(maybe blue belt level) at BJJ. I dont intend to fight pro or anything, infact I dont even think I wanna compete. I followed the UFC years ago but been procastinating doing MMA until recently. However, I wanna know that I am making good progress for whatever time I have put into the art. Basically doing it cause its fun, keeps me in shape and know that Ill have an edge in a self defense situation. Tooling a new white belt once in awhile doesnt hurt either.

Here's the catch, the place I train at now is about 1hour and 15mins of travelling time.

Recently, theres a new mma gym that opened like 300meters from my place(wow). I went for the muay thai and bjj trials. The deal is, they only train no gi and the place is coached by a purple belt on most of the days, and the head instructor who is a brown belt will teach a class from time to time. The class I went to was a weekday noon session and since its a new school it seems like the students there are really new. I rolled with the (brown belt)instructor once, and while he is still a much better BJJ player than me I feel that some of the blues in my current school might be at a higher level than him. I didn't think he was taking it too easy on me either, since he seemed kinda gassed after the roll. To put things into perspective, I feel sorry for the brown belts at my current school when I roll with them because it seemed like I didnt provide an ounce of challenge to them, and they are not even trying.

The instructor from the new school is a pretty cool guy though, but Im not sure if I will continue making the same progress if I only get to roll with guys who are not so experienced. On the bright side though, I can probably make some friends and have a drilling partner to work with on a regular basis since the gym is just walking distance from my place.

Or... I can just sign up for the new gym but go back to my old gym to roll with the guys once a week( I currently go there 2 to 3 times a week).

Thanks for reading!

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    7/25/2014 2:37pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: 柔術

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/25/2014 2:52pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    *Shrug.

At this point I'd do what is convenient, although you'll be missing out on the gi aspect of things. Also some schools are weird and don't like you training at multiple locations.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/27/2014 1:06pm

Style: Seidokaikan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    *Shrug.

At this point I'd do what is convenient, although you'll be missing out on the gi aspect of things. Also some schools are weird and don't like you training at multiple locations.
    Yeah, I'd agree with this. A place that close means you never have an excuse not to go.

Personally, I'd never even consider joining a place that thought it could control my activities outside of class, which definitely includes telling me where else I can train, but if you're okay with paying people to dictate how you live your life, that's up to you OP.