Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/26/2011 10:47pm

Style: Boxing newb, HEMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I think I might have broken my nose

So a couple weeks ago, I took a solid ungloved punch to the nose, and felt something unusual in it, and found it hard to breath through the side I took the punch on. I developed a black eye a bit later along with some swelling, and that was gone as of a few days ago. I discounted a broken nose because I figured it would be way more bloody and painful. As of today, the swelling is gone, but it still hurts a little, and when I touch it it's tender and I get a tiny little clicking sound when I rub it. It feels and looks like it's bent inwards just a little bit where I got hit, and I'm still having a harder time breathing through that nostril.

Should I see a doctor about this?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/26/2011 11:05pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would.

It may just be swelling on the inside still that's causing the difficulty to breathe which may go away by itself. Then again, it might be something that only the Doc can fix, lest ye have trouble breathing through your nose for the remainder.

Curious... were you hard sparring w/o gloves, or actually duke'n it out with someone?

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    10/26/2011 11:12pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i would go see a doctor if i were you.

sounds like something that happened to me a few years back. i ignored it, at the time but it was broken. my broken nose isn't very noticeable, but it does affect my breathing a bit.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    10/26/2011 11:51pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by wuss View Post
    Should I see a doctor about this?
    I have run into 3 different guys who discovered they broke their noses years ago when their doctors started asking them questions. The clue turned out to be they all casually mentioned having difficulty breathing through one nostril.

I'm one of them.
    Shut the hell up and train.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/27/2011 12:48am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: The art of No Style

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm definitely not a doctor, but you should get that x-rayed. Depending on the hit, you might have a small fracture of the naval cavity or near the eye. With things around the face, and in close proximity to the brain you don't want any types of infections and you want to make sure everything heals back properly.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/27/2011 3:46am

Style: punch on artist

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Choice 1. Go to the doctor
    Choice 2. Drink 1 cup of cement
    Last edited by jdempsey; 10/27/2011 3:47am at . Reason: Bad spelingg

Posted On:
    10/27/2011 4:03am

Style: Boxing,Kickboxing K1

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i guess it won't hurt to see a doc and get that x rayed I just don't think there is much to do about it, unless you want a plastic surgeon to re break your nose and fix it... which doesn't always guarantee that it will be better, they sometimes actually make it worse, especially the ones you get from your insurance :)
    Get it x rayed and see what they offer (to me they offered pain killers), if it's not too severe it will heal, and better leave it for now as is.
    If you keep doing full contact MA, there is no point IMO to fix the nose just to get it re broken next time.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/27/2011 8:18am

Style: BJJ n stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Been there done that, left it and ended up with a deviated septum and funny looking nose. Had mine broken 3 times and stupidly did nothing about it. Get it looked at, chicks don't dig snoring, noisy breathing and all the other effects of funny looking broken noses.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    10/27/2011 11:06am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My dad broke his nose a good 20 years ago (surfing in a storm) and never saw a doctor. It healed, but it was out of position and it looks different now.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/13/2011 5:14pm

Style: Taekwondo/Eskrima

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You definately broke your nose. I broke my nose to when a guy WITH GLOVES on punched my face after I explicitly told him 50% contact. So then I kicked his ribs and knocked the wind out of him for 2 mins as he writhed on the ground....

anyway you broke your nose and you will have a dent in your nose for the rest of your life. Its a battle scar so love it. Make sure you get an X-ray and have the doctor check out to make sure its totally ok and no debris are stuck anywhere. I can breath fine with my nose though. but if you look close my nose is sligthly dented, and yes the clicking sound when you ush in is normal and will last a long time. Your nose will always feel different on that side but you get used to it.