Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    6/22/2015 3:31am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Hello from a noob, also advice please

Firstly I apologise if this is the wrong forum

I am someone who has no martial arts training but is interested in learning an art primarily for self defence and perhaps to get fitter. I have read a few threads on this site and others, and I see many cross training in one striking art and one grappling art. I would like to start with a grappling art either BJJ or Judo, which do you think it would be better off with? I notice there are a couple if judo and BJJ places in my city that both have no gi classes.
    Also I would like to ask more of your opinions on Krav Maga. I noticed that it doesn't seem to be highly regarded here, but let me ask, is it considered to be no good at all ever, or are there some places that actually teach it effectively? I appreciate all opinions I can get.

Bullshido Administrator

Posted On:
    6/22/2015 4:03am

staff
     Style: Kuso shite shinezo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Myron Mumbles View Post

I am someone who has no martial arts training but is interested in learning an art primarily for self defence and perhaps to get fitter. I have read a few threads on this site and others, and I see many cross training in one striking art and one grappling art. I would like to start with a grappling art either BJJ or Judo, which do you think it would be better off with? I notice there are a couple if judo and BJJ places in my city that both have no gi classes.
    Either. Most places offer a trial class/week. Find a school that enjoy the instruction and the class vibe.

Also I would like to ask more of your opinions on Krav Maga. I noticed that it doesn't seem to be highly regarded here, but let me ask, is it considered to be no good at all ever, or are there some places that actually teach it effectively? I appreciate all opinions I can get.
    Most Krav Maga is trained like TMA with static defense drills with no resistance. Just replace the Sword with a Pistol. The chances of finding "good Krav Maga" is so difficult it's not worth trying to find.

Posted On:
    6/22/2015 4:49am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok, thank you for the tip. With jiu Jitsu would I be better taking gracie jiu jitsu? As it apparently focuses on the self defence aspect as opposed to the sport, or so I'm told. Also with judo are there different types? I've seen the phrases 'kodokan judo' thrown around sometimes, is that different to regular judo?

Posted On:
    6/22/2015 9:35am

Style: Kendo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How's your budget? Judo is cheap, BJJ generally expensive.

Posted On:
    6/22/2015 9:50am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ, FMA, JKD, Pankration

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Just to reinforce what plasma said
    Between Judo and BJJ?
    Do which ever one you enjoy more.
    The only way to learn is to show up, and you are 1000 times more likely to show up if you you enjoy the environment the coach and the people you are working out with.

I wouldn't wast my time with it if you have Judo, BJJ, SAMBO, Boxing, Kick Boxing, MMA, FMA, Muay Thai, or wrestling available to you hell even if you didn't I am not sure if I would waste my time with it.
    It comes down to aliveness

Of the single rapier fight between valiant men, having both skill, he that is the best wrestler, or if neither of them can wrestle, the strongest man most commonly kills the other, or leaves him at his mercy.
    –George Silver, Paradoxes of Defence

Posted On:
    6/22/2015 11:56am

Style: MMA

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilG View Post
    How's your budget? Judo is cheap, BJJ generally expensive.
    Blargh tell me about it. Half the reason I'm doing Judo and Kyokushin this summer is the fact that the local BJJ gym is insanely expensive.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/22/2015 8:01pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you're lucky enough to be near a group like the Dog Brothers, they offer MMA-esque training with and without weapons (http://dogbrothers.com/affiliates/). You might be able to get what you want between something like the seminars offered by a group called Shivworks (http://shivworks.com/) and regular training elsewhere as well.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    6/23/2015 6:10am

supporting member
     Style: Grappling avec punches

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Boxing is usually pretty cheap too and pretty good for fitness and self defence.

Nothing says "you cant have my wallet" like a punch in the face.
    King without a crown

USMC Combat Instructor

Posted On:
    6/26/2015 1:25am

Join us... or die
     Style: MCMAP, Judo, sex appeal

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll tell you what isn't going to help your predicament. Sitting here on the internet not doing a goddamn thing.

Try out a school. Or every fucking school in a 10 mile radius. Then, ask yourself which one you're realistically going to attend regularly?

When you've answered that, there is your answer champosaurus rex.

PROOF that I'm not a completely useless poster:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...0&postcount=58

Quote Originally Posted by Cy Q. Faunce
    3moose1 is correct. Sig THAT, you fucker.

Quote Originally Posted by sochin101 View Post
    I went out with a delightful young woman who was on a regimen of pills that made her taste of burned onions.
    That is not conducive to passionate cunnilingus, my friend, let me assure you.
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyOldGuy View Post
    I agree with moosey

Posted On:
    6/26/2015 9:53am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ, FMA, JKD, Pankration

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok, thank you for the tip. With jiu Jitsu would I be better taking gracie jiu jitsu? As it apparently focuses on the self defence aspect as opposed to the sport, or so I'm told.
    Honestly its a preference thing. I personally hate being in the Gracie environment its to stuffy with way to much rigmarole.
    Don't get to hung up on the whole Self Defense vs Sport thing.
    Do what you enjoy. Showing up is what will make you better.
    Also when you say Self Defense what exactly do you mean?

Also with judo are there different types? I've seen the phrases 'kodokan judo' thrown around sometimes, is that different to regular judo?
    Yes and No they are all still judo and use the same techniques and learning methodology the nuances don't really matter your not likely to have a choice between them anyways.
    Of the single rapier fight between valiant men, having both skill, he that is the best wrestler, or if neither of them can wrestle, the strongest man most commonly kills the other, or leaves him at his mercy.
    –George Silver, Paradoxes of Defence
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast