Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    10/27/2011 1:16am

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ^Sounds like the result of a lifetime of physical neglect, but I could be reading into this wrong though.

I just assume you're worried about your knee because you've likely never done any squats in which case I see where your coming from. I'm just kinda concerned about those in this thread saying "yeah those pistols are good and all but bad for the knees", it sounds like a cop out for lazys who don't want to do any real legwork. If you've had a legitimate ACL tear or other diagnosed and treated injury that's one thing, but for someone who's never done any real leg work and has "knee pain" to say the exercise is unsafe sounds ignorant. Done right squats are safe, I assume it's the same with pistols unless some one with a little education can chime in and prove me wrong.

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    10/27/2011 1:27am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    squats and pistols, like anything else, if performed correctly are NOT bad for your knees.

i can do like 4-5, but im a lightweight >.>

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/27/2011 1:30am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: The art of No Style

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jspeedy View Post
    ^Sounds like the result of a lifetime of physical neglect, but I could be reading into this wrong though.

I just assume you're worried about your knee because you've likely never done any squats in which case I see where your coming from. I'm just kinda concerned about those in this thread saying "yeah those pistols are good and all but bad for the knees", it sounds like a cop out for lazys who don't want to do any real legwork. If you've had a legitimate ACL tear or other diagnosed and treated injury that's one thing, but for someone who's never done any real leg work and has "knee pain" to say the exercise is unsafe sounds ignorant. Done right squats are safe, I assume it's the same with pistols unless some one with a little education can chime in and prove me wrong.
    Actually, that doesn't describe me at all, but then again it's the internet so anythings possible. For many, full squats, especially with very high weights are not good. Quads are much stronger than knees or tendons there in as power lifters will attest. There's a big difference in repetition, toning and strengthening. And before a comment flows in, no i'm not an aerobics instructor - didn't need a form of martial arts to see that one coming. Lol

So without knowing more about the individual, their overall physical condition, I didn't want to recommend something that might lead him to injury.

Posted On:
    10/27/2011 1:54am

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Star View Post
    Actually, that doesn't describe me at all, but then again it's the internet so anythings possible. For many, full squats, especially with very high weights are not good. Quads are much stronger than knees or tendons there in as power lifters will attest. There's a big difference in repetition, toning and strengthening. And before a comment flows in, no i'm not an aerobics instructor - didn't need a form of martial arts to see that one coming. Lol
    So without knowing more about the individual, their overall physical condition, I didn't want to recommend something that might lead him to injury.
    Not even sure what you're getting but site sources where powerlifters say squats are unsafe. What is your definition of full squats? What do you consider very high weights? Most people aren't capable of squatting very high weights, with proper form squats are safe. What are your sources or experiences proving otherwise? I site anything written by Pavel as evidence for pistols and squats and Stronglifts.com that squats are quite safe for the average person. What kind of leg exercises do you do? What is a safe leg exercise? Why?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/27/2011 2:25am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jspeedy View Post
    Not even sure what you're getting but site sources where powerlifters say squats are unsafe. What is your definition of full squats? What do you consider very high weights? Most people aren't capable of squatting very high weights, with proper form squats are safe. What are your sources or experiences proving otherwise? I site anything written by Pavel as evidence for pistols and squats and Stronglifts.com that squats are quite safe for the average person. What kind of leg exercises do you do? What is a safe leg exercise? Why?
    I never said they were unsafe, just more prone to knee damage than half squats as most people know. Strange though, that it seems that perhaps you or someone else saw what I wrote as an excuse not to do them, or perhaps why one might believe I don't do them - perhaps another excuse for a lazy trend. Those two "things" are completely unrelated. As I said, we used to do them in class, as i've gotten older they tend to cause me a bit of knee pain. Now does that mean I weigh so much that my knees can't bear the strain? I don't don't do any form of knee exercises what soever, or that they've improved over the past few months but not completely.

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    10/27/2011 2:31am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Star View Post
    I never said they were unsafe, just more prone to knee damage than half squats as most people know. Strange though, that it seems that perhaps you or someone else saw what I wrote as an excuse not to do them, or perhaps why one might believe I don't do them - perhaps another excuse for a lazy trend. Those two "things" are completely unrelated. As I said, we used to do them in class, as i've gotten older they tend to cause me a bit of knee pain. Now does that mean I weigh so much that my knees can't bear the strain? I don't don't do any form of knee exercises what soever, or that they've improved over the past few months but not completely.
    you are now stepping into the realm of talking out your ass. partial squats are, in fact, worse for you than full ROM squats, unless the fulls are performed incorrectly. stopping and coming back up halfway through the movement puts the joint in an unstable position.

this will never be an issue for 90% of people doing them, since they wil never squat heavy enough. but it is a fact, and one that i learnt in my first year of sport and exercise science (**** probably the first week) how much study have you done in this area?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/27/2011 2:40am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    you are now stepping into the realm of talking out your ass. partial squats are, in fact, worse for you than full ROM squats, unless the fulls are performed incorrectly. stopping and coming back up halfway through the movement puts the joint in an unstable position.

Actually a partial squat isn't halfway down. That would put an incredible amount of strain on the knee joint forcing outwards. A partial squat isn't really that far down, and ins't really designed to work the entire muscle. I'm actually referring to free standing squats as opposed to those done of a machine. Those I think are great, and safer - though I can see some arguing the range of motion is the same which overall isn't since the machine adds greater stability within that range.

this will never be an issue for 90% of people doing them, since they wil never squat heavy enough. but it is a fact, and one that i learnt in my first year of sport and exercise science (**** probably the first week) how much study have you done in this area?
    Then you should know that not everyone is the same right? You knew that already. I never said it was a mechanical problem for me from day one, or that doing one legged squats caused knee problems from day one. I think that part was missed somewhere in the threads - traded off for "let's thrown down the n00b" festivities first. It's cool. :) It's a problem for me now, so I offered a different perspective. One which I think is valid and important.

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    10/27/2011 2:45am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    no, what happened was you made a false statement as if it were fact in the PT forum. dont do this unless you know what you are talking about, because people who -don't- know will read it and think you are talking the truth. in your rpevious post you said nothing about your conditions so they don't come into it. if you want to do that, say something like "for someone with [insert problem here] its not very good for you"

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/27/2011 2:53am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    no, what happened was you made a false statement as if it were fact in the PT forum. dont do this unless you know what you are talking about, because people who -don't- know will read it and think you are talking the truth. in your rpevious post you said nothing about your conditions so they don't come into it. if you want to do that, say something like "for someone with [insert problem here] its not very good for you"
    If it applies for 10% of normal people (90% would be exempt), it wouldn't be false now would it? Not that that was my original intent when I posted, to sly out on a 10% margin, or any random fact that fit my argument. But I do understand being a new comer here... all this is necessary yes?

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    10/27/2011 3:26am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    your false statement had nothing to do with that. you flat out said that half squats are better for your knees, when they arent. thats it. theres nothing else to discuss. drop it, and please dont make non factual statements in the PT area, save it for YMAS.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast