Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/04/2011 6:22am

Style: Aikido, bits of jits

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by money View Post
    What exactly are you guys talking about when you say "schoolgirl" style jumping? Do you have a video example?
    2 jumps for every rope pass, probably a bad choice of label. I'll look for a video later.

Posted On:
    11/04/2011 6:52am

Style: Boxing,Kickboxing K1

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    hmm look at this

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/04/2011 7:09am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ^ little freaky, but the first one is what I meant by schoolgirl method.
    Looking for an example I found a better way to show beginners the rythmn:

Posted On:
    11/04/2011 12:10pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kenkojuku Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    4 basic tips:

1. Jump the minimum amount you need to jump over the rope (about half an inch). Most beginners take jumps that are way too big and set them up to not be ready for the next jump in time.

2. Music with a standard 4/4 beat, jump on each beat. I don't like music for anything else while training, but I almost need it for jumping rope.

3. Use the type of ropes with plastic links covering the rope. It maintains its U-shape and swings/rotates/keeps its momentum more easily. You can feel where the rope is more easily (because it has weight) and it's very easy to keep it moving with just your hands/wrists (really should only use your arms for the first 1-2 swings of the rope to get it going). It will also hurt your barefeet more when you miss which will encourage you to not miss jumps...

4. Begin with straight up and down jumps obviously if you have issues doing more than 10 without stopping, but asap move to switching feet, 1 or 2 jumps on one leg, 1 or 2 on the other, switch switch. It's simple and getting this down opens up the door to being able to do a lot of tricks with the rope later. You may say you don't care about being fancy, but jumping straight up and down for 5 mins x 3 rounds is boring as **** and you won't stick to that routine for very long.
    Last edited by maofas; 11/04/2011 12:15pm at .

Posted On:
    11/04/2011 12:18pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kenkojuku Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by realjanuary View Post
    ^ little freaky, but the first one is what I meant by schoolgirl method.
    Looking for an example I found a better way to show beginners the rythmn:
    Omfg, way to make things overcomplicated. The only good thing about this video are her socks.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/07/2011 7:40am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was assuming the OP has been trying to jump rope for a while but keeps hitting the same problem if he can only do 10 jumps before tripping up. He's vanished so we can't ask what his specific problems are. I made a guess that he was jumping too early, thus not having a sustainable rythmn for more than a handful of jumps.
    "Just do it right" is good advice, but sometimes other advice is useful. The video above and my previous advice were aimed at the remedial level for someone who jumps too early.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/07/2011 2:31pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: NinBuKai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have been trying to jump rope for a few weeks now, had to sideline it, but plan to pick it up routinely once winter hits here and my bike is locked down.

My problem is my hands and feet are not in-synch (with a host of other issues such as hand position and jumping WAY over the top). I have gotten a lot of great advice here, but haven't had time to really put it to use yet.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234