Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/02/2011 6:44am

Style: Hung Ga Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you can only do 12 in a row, now, you should keep at it for like 10 to 15 minutes a day and move on. I taught myself to jump rope watching a vid on how to jump rope and I can hang with that mayweather vid up until the 48 second mark. lol.

There are so many footwokr patterns and stuff that make the rope a great training tool. Keep at it.

Posted On:
    11/02/2011 8:20am

Style: Boxing,Kickboxing K1

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    at first wear shoes, and don't skip with a real rope, take the cord, its much better.

Posted On:
    11/02/2011 11:11am

Join us... or die
     Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by erezb View Post
    at first wear shoes, and don't skip with a real rope, take the cord, its much better.
    Yeah. Those cheap plastic cord ones that you can get at the sportstore for about $6 they are the best.

Posted On:
    11/02/2011 1:30pm

Style: Muay Thai n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In muay thai we have clear plastic tubing a 1-2cm (still **** on the smaller metrics) thick and they hurt like a muthafucka when you missed a skip. They are also wicked heavy so you need real good form in the wrist or you get tired quick.

We go for 5 min to warm up in class. I take a thinner, reg, rope for 10-15 as a morning warmup before my strength/bodyweight routine now. Took me literally months to get past a few skips, but just keep fucking doing it and before your know it it's no problem (easiest part of your day)

Posted On:
    11/02/2011 1:34pm

Style: Muay Thai n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Double post, please delete.
    Last edited by WorldWarCheese; 11/02/2011 1:37pm at . Reason: dubz

Flyweight

Posted On:
    11/02/2011 2:31pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, MMA, CQB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I learned how to jump rope by jumping a bunch of rope. If you do it regularly you'll quickly get your rhythm and straighten out the whole hopping thing. I do count the rotations, it keeps my mind occupied.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/02/2011 3:01pm

Style: Aikido, bits of jits

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OP do you find that you have to spin the rope faster and faster? If so, you're jumping too soon. You can get away with this for about 10 skips before it gets out of control. You should be jumping just AFTER you hear the rope click on the ground.
    Stick to really slow rope rotations to examine the rythmn, even going for school-girl style two hops for every rope pass, but make sure you're not jumping before the rope hits the ground.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    11/02/2011 4:27pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by realjanuary View Post
    Stick to really slow rope rotations to examine the rythmn, even going for school-girl style two hops for every rope pass, but make sure you're not jumping before the rope hits the ground.
    I don't know about this. I think the rhythm of a schoolgirl-style jump is different enough from the regular style that studying it wouldn't help that much.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/03/2011 11:25am

Style: Aikido, bits of jits

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    I don't know about this. I think the rhythm of a schoolgirl-style jump is different enough from the regular style that studying it wouldn't help that much.
    I've found it useful in the past for introducing people, but you're right that it is far from ideal. I used to skip in the gym in secondary school (high school). When school mates would ask me how to skip in this is the way I used to do it:
    (btw for full beat read skip over the rope, for half beat read hop while the rope is passing over your head, not under your feet):

• watch them try to skip
    • give them pointers on the rythmn, posture, setting up the rope and the small arm movement
    • let them try it again (with the slower rope if they were having problems)
    • if they were jumping too early I'll get them to try it slowly with a focus on the rythmn
    • if they were still jumping too early get them to do the school-girl skip and focus on the timing of the full beat skip as I spotted them(jump when the rope is on the ground, not pulling the rope from over your head to under your feet when you're in the air)
    • try normal skipping again
    • if they still can't transfer the timing, do the school-girl style again, but just bounce on the half beat instead of jumping (feels really weird)
    • Let them build up the speed so the uncomfortable bounce part is minimised
    • people don't like the bounce and just double the rope speed turning the half beat into a full beat

School-girl style is definetly an introduction/remedial thing. I think the rythmn is the thing that people find hardest and is why the trip the rope a lot at the start. You have to be able to keep the rythmn if you want to work on the rest of it.

OP any chance of you giving us a vid of you skipping / progress report so we can see how you're getting on?

Flyweight

Posted On:
    11/03/2011 2:26pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, MMA, CQB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What exactly are you guys talking about when you say "schoolgirl" style jumping? Do you have a video example?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast