Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Style
    Muay Thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Lanky279: Introduction

Well, this is my first post, so here goes.

I've been doing Tang Soo Do for little under two years. I've taken a small break for the last two months due to knee problems but hope to be back soon.

Besides that, there isn't much else to say. I jog and workout, like a lot of you guys do. The only really big things is that I'm extremely interested in historical fighting of various weapons, such as a spear or the sword and shield. I love thinking how various weapon combinations would go up against each other.

That, and I also play 'Dagorhir'. Yeah, I know I'm gonna be chewed for that but oh well. Here's an example of it:

Yeah, may not be the best way to train for martial arts, (or anything else, really), but it's fun as hell.

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to the forum :)
    Its not easy to find quality weapon instruction :\

Style
    Muay Thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by UnwrittenXx View Post
    Its not easy to find quality weapon instruction :\
    The biggest thing is shield. I cannot think of a single place where they teach you how to use a shield nor is there much of a movement to learn how to use them. I hope someone proves me wrong here; I would love to see a movement that actually focuses on shields as well as pole arms and various swords.

Style
    Weight Training
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So where were some people kneeling there?
    How do arrows work for your games?
    lol a guy got hit by a giant q-tip
    Can you use those metal chariots in the background?

You'll love our WMA forum, there is so much material and old handjobs in there that you'll love.
    Western Martial Arts Discussion Forum
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=128
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Style
    Muay Thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PizDoff View Post
    So where were some people kneeling there?
    Our hit system is this: you lose an arm and you put it behind you. You lose a leg and you take a knee. Two limbs lost = death. Basically, think of it as a Ponty Mython type of rule set. Not the most realistic but for large battles like the one you saw, it works out since it's so simple. Also, no head shots unless it's a missile, (javelin, arrow or rock), and torso is death.

How do arrows work for your games?
    Can hit anywhere on body, and is a death shot if it hits on neck, torso, head and, unfortunately, the groin.

lol a guy got hit by a giant q-tip
    Was probably a staff. Due to the rule set, pretty much all staffs end up looking like q-tips, leading to their nickname, the q-stick.

Can you use those metal chariots in the background?
    Well, I did drive my car up the hill were me and my friends were playing once; it got destroyed. xD

Style
    MMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I always find it funny how we equate Ninjutsu et al to LARPing for their terrible training, but actual LARP's tend to involve more aliveness in their fighting than said martial arts.
    The fool thinks himself immortal,
    If he hold back from battle;
    But old age will grant him no truce,
    Even if spears spare him.

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyMcClaw View Post
    I always find it funny how we equate Ninjutsu et al to LARPing for their terrible training, but actual LARP's tend to involve more aliveness in their fighting than said martial arts.
    Truth! That actually looks like a lot of fun. Interesting to see the hoplite-esque push-of-pike happening.

Is running away from anyone with a shield and trying to find a good angle to shoot arrows at the back of people's heads looked down on? Because that is totally how I would play this game.

P.S. From reading the rules it seems taking people down and arm-barring them would be legal? If so, awesome.
    Last edited by PointyShinyBurn; 10/28/2011 9:18am at .

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    History is awesome. History with cruel weapons is even more awesome.

Welcome to Bullshido.

Style
    xingyi
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PointyShinyBurn View Post

Is running away from anyone with a shield and trying to find a good angle to shoot arrows at the back of people's heads looked down on? Because that is totally how I would play this game.
    You two have been here long enough and have forgotten which larp was attached to CMA and Ninjas. There are multiple threads talking about historical recreation and the above video being respected and not insulted.

I am not going to go get the thread, at some point I probably will, but this video was in the thread when the term Martial Larp was coined:

Yes, this is the same video used when the larp CMA connection was made. Dress up, fake attacks, and silliness. Still looks like fun, but there is also a documentary where people let their wives and significant others work. They let it take over their life and get to the point where reality and fun blur.

Those are the larpers talked about in the original thread.
    Last edited by It is Fake; 10/28/2011 9:53am at .

Style
    Muay Thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Truth! That actually looks like a lot of fun. Interesting to see the hoplite-esque push-of-pike happening.
    75% weapons there are two types: polearms to attack and shields men to defend the polearm. Spears, which range from 8-14 feet, (8 and 12 feet are the standard), are place behind the shields. That might explain the hoplite-esque push-of-pike thing you saw.

When the 'lay on' is called by the herald, (referee), you can use any tactic to win. I've seen one person bear hug someone behind and another get him from the front to win; spearmen who have had their distance closed on them by a shield man will often drop their spear/polearm and just run. If you get your strategy to work, then go for it.

P.S. From reading the rules it seems taking people down and arm-barring them would be legal? If so, awesome.
    No striking, (elbow, knee, hands or feet), is allowed. However, grappling is. They are plenty of rules for it, like no throwing such. But if you do it safely, you can easily get away with it. For example, I heard that some judoka at one event repeatedly threw people into trees. xD But it's very difficult to grapple effectively unless you actually take judo, jujitsu, wrestling, etc. And even then, you see very little of it on a event due to so many people; I would love to see someone who actually what they were doing try and grapple.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last