Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    10/31/2011 3:37pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark View Post
    I meant to post this the other day. I've been using the Half Ezekiel lately to great effect. It should be at least "half" familiar to the Judoka. I'm curious what sort of luck Judoka_uk could have with it.
    That's a creative entry.

Don't do Sode guruma jime/Ezekiel choke as a rule, my main submissions are Juji gatame/straight armbar, Koshi jime/clock choke and Okuri eri jime/sliding collar choke(?).

I don't doubt I could do this on kyu grades and probably dan grades, because the clubs I'm at at the moment aren't very high quality. Doing it in BJJ, probably a different kettle of fish.

Will give it a go next randori.

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    10/31/2011 4:19pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't you run a risk of falling afoul of the "No touching the face" rule when trying ezekiels? I end up doing a lot of face scraping when I use them, but that might be due to my short arms and even shorter gi sleeves...

Posted On:
    10/31/2011 4:43pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintanon View Post
    Don't you run a risk of falling afoul of the "No touching the face" rule when trying ezekiels? I end up doing a lot of face scraping when I use them, but that might be due to my short arms and even shorter gi sleeves...
    Shorter and tighter sleeves definitely make it harder.

Also its not, 'no touching the face' its more subtle its technically "the area within the line bordered by the forehead, the front of the ears and the jaw-line" which gives you reasonable latitude and even then you can often put the hand straight on the face or quickly cross face if you're in a better position than the ref.

Anyway, you don't have to touch the face to sink in the sode guruma jime, you use your knuckles to drive under the chin and get across the throat, just how Yoshida did when he 'choked out' Hoyce.
    :problem:

There was an excellent recent example where Miranda of Brazil choked out a Chinese girl whilst in her guard. I'll have to find it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/31/2011 4:45pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Have not seen setting up the ezekiel with the throat arm first, excellent!

The ezekiel from low mount is my favourite submission and even if I don't get it, it sets me up for my S-Mount game.
    Last edited by mrh80; 10/31/2011 4:46pm at . Reason: judo face touching question answered

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/31/2011 4:54pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My favourite closed guard attack series based of the cross choke. I love this lapel grip because of the control, also excellent for half guard top and side control.

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    10/31/2011 5:11pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    Shorter and tighter sleeves definitely make it harder.

Also its not, 'no touching the face' its more subtle its technically "the area within the line bordered by the forehead, the front of the ears and the jaw-line" which gives you reasonable latitude and even then you can often put the hand straight on the face or quickly cross face if you're in a better position than the ref.

Anyway, you don't have to touch the face to sink in the sode guruma jime, you use your knuckles to drive under the chin and get across the throat, just how Yoshida did when he 'choked out' Hoyce.
    :problem:

There was an excellent recent example where Miranda of Brazil choked out a Chinese girl whilst in her guard. I'll have to find it.
    Yah, I would definitely need a gi with longer sleeves to make that finish work. Next one I order is probably going to be custom tailored from Killer Bee for that very reason.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/05/2011 10:23pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just remembered another drill to get the cross choke wrist action down. Get the grip, whichever of the four variations while keeping your arms straight. Do the wrist action while keeping your arms straight and the guy should tap.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345