Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    10/24/2011 10:10pm

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Randy Couture workout quest. about specifics

Currently i'm undergoing rehab for a broken patella. I've been looking over workout routines to start up once I get the okay from the Dr. to start training. The RC (Randy Couture) workout has been mentioned in a few threads but I haven't really gotten the information i'm looking for.

What I want from the workout is something simple for a relative beginner. I've done stronglifts in the past for over a year and was impressed with my strength gains. Since my knee injury i've been doing a split BB style workout 4-5 days a week for the passed 5 weeks and I'm starting too see some results. What I want from the RC workout is to improve my cardio and get in all around good shape for BJJ and FMA and loose some of the fat i've gained while i've been recovering. In the past I did a circuit style bodyweight routine that left felling like **** after every workout but I was satisfied with the results. I'm open to any other suggestions for similiar programs. Eventually I plan on returning to a strength routine.

Here are my questions about the RC workout.

1)The information i've seen on the workout differs slightly from source to source. For example, straighted legged deadlift vs. reg DL, front squat w push press vs. regular squat w push press, split squat vs lunges. Not sure if the differences matter much, I figure the harder variations can be used due to using the same weight for all exercises and some being easier (ex.squats and DLs).

2) when do you increase the weight?

3) how long do you do the RC workout without modifying the weight or exercises?

4) What other training can you do with this routine? I believe I read somewhere that a guy was using this routine almost like a post workout cool down, which I think would be a bit much for a beginner. Can you do some running also?

5) What are the disadvantages/advantages of this type of workout? My understanding is it's not optimal for strength gains but is good for building endurance and fitness.

Here's an outline of the workout if you don't know:

My understanding is that the same weight is used for every exercise you perform 6 sets with 6-8 reps per exercise and you don't rest or put down the bar until each set is between, you can rest 1 min between each set.
    -bent over rows

Upright rows x 8 reps
    - Military shoulder presses x 8 reps
    - Good mornings x 8 reps (use stiff-legged deadlifts if using dumbbells)
    - Lunges x 8 reps per leg
    - Front squat with push press x 8 reps
    - Deadlifts x 8 reps

Posted On:
    10/26/2011 10:10am

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No answers anyone? Wheres TheRuss and Emevas? Seems like it's been a while since i've seen them in the training forum. Of course, it's been a while since i've seen a thread that interests me.