Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Welterweight

Posted On:
    10/24/2011 10:36am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The way I'm reading this it seems like the grobbit is being used on the op. I'm guessing that he constantly turtles up and waits to get attacked then tries to sweep from the turtle. At least that's the way I'm reading this.

To the op.
    Are you rolling only with the white belts or are you encountering this with all the students?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/24/2011 5:40pm

Style: Judo, BJJ (noob)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry, I meant people are grobbitting me when I goto in a turtle position or when they take my back, and I only use "grobbit" (grovit) to best explain the submission they are using on me. Also I have dyslexia, and I omit alot of words, so sometimes the sentence does not make sense and took me 20 minutes to right this paragraph.

I have to say, it is very much part of the culture, not only to me, they go hard on each other as well. I might ask to not use submissions against me.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    10/24/2011 7:34pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Change schools or talk to the instructor. If that is really the move they are using it is totally inappropriate for beginners in BJJ. It is illegal in tournament and dangerous to be using against newbs.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/24/2011 8:40pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If these people spazzing are blue belts or higher, I would look to train elsewhere.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/24/2011 10:57pm

Style: Kickboxin & Shootfightin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I also read it as they were using the grobbit on him when he was turtled.

Anyways, to me?? it sounds like a poor training environment. If they're sparring at that level of intensity and no-one is pulling them up on it??(and everyone knows new guys spazz and need to be watched because of it), then it sounds like a lack of class control,a lack of basic understanding of why you spar and also a lack of understanding consquences of injuries to training partners which also shows that they don't think to,or know,to look after their training buddies. Over all?? poor control, of the class and poor control when sparring are indications of something is wrong.
    Last edited by KiwiPhil889; 10/24/2011 11:02pm at .

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    10/25/2011 5:37am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark View Post
    Change schools or talk to the instructor. If that is really the move they are using it is totally inappropriate for beginners in BJJ. It is illegal in tournament and dangerous to be using against newbs.
    Are we sure he's not actually just getting RNC'd and taking it very personally? I've fairly often seen new people complain of savage spine cranks after getting cleanly choked.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    10/25/2011 8:37am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Did you watch the Grobbit video? That looks nothing like a RNC. Since I had to look up what the hell a grobbit was I can only assume that is what they are actual doing.

OP, what are the qualifications of the instructor?

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    10/25/2011 8:46am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Did you watch the Grobbit video? That looks nothing like a RNC. Since I had to look up what the hell a grobbit was I can only assume that is what they are actual doing.
    He also said they were doing it when they took his back, so presumably he's complaining of being cross-faced rather than that specific move.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/27/2011 6:11am

Style: Judo, BJJ (noob)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

OP, what are the qualifications of the instructor?
    He said he just has a 'association' with Nova União JJ which made me interested at the start (plus they had nice zebra mats), which I guess he does not have much qualifications. But he does train decent fighters who fight pro and clobber a few people, however it just seems they are really decent at kickboxing, not on the ground and I only found out about the grappling because I went there for new sparring partners.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/17/2012 11:54pm

Style: Kempo, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know this thread has been dead for like 2 years now but the newbie BJJ thread led me here. I didn't know if I should start a new thread so I figured I'd add to this one since it is a similar issue. I ended up leaving my old school for a list of reasons: I moved too far, my life got really busy and some of the people there where just douchebags that treated every drill the like they where in the finals of the Olympics.

I am at a new school that that does BJJ and standup separately. Totally separate teachers and classes and I am the only one that is doing both.

Even though it is only two guys in the BJJ class that have no conception of of "50%", it makes me not want to go to those classes. I was watching this one guy today. He is brand new and probably in his mid-50s. He is big guy, at least 250lbs, clearly not all muscle but a strong dude. It was a stand-up, randori type drill but just for position, no throws or anything and this guy is going all out. What concerned me the most is how he was using his head to push against the other person body and head. I couldn't help but think, "He is going to knock himself and his partner out." The people who are explosive with no control scare the **** out of me.

There was also a really simple drill where the person on the bottom holds onto the tops arm and just works moving their hips from side to side to get position for an armbar. You should end up moving your body from left to right and putting both your legs on either side of the top's head. But when this guy was on top he was like resisting like crazy. I see the guy gritting his teeth and grimacing and I'm just thinking WTF dude?! He head was bright red. As you might imagine the guy is totally gassed like 20 min in to a 90 min class.

As much as I can I roll with the blue belts and up since they tend to be all technique and no strength, but I just do not have any fun rolling with these other guys that are all strength and no technique. The only other person like that is a kid who is a high school wrestler. This kid is pretty out of control too. There was one time when we just working on getting under-hooks while standing. It was a nice little light drill, everyone is pretty much standing in one spot, maybe circling a little bit. All of a sudden this kid is driving his partner across the mat and after about 15 feet the pair going tumbling to the ground.

I have studied various martial arts my whole life doing mostly stand-up boxing and Mu-Thai, but man, **** like this make me want to walk away.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast