Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/17/2011 5:42pm

Style: Injured

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Judo Advice

I started Judo about two-three weeks ago and I love it.

During that time I only learned two throws, Ippon Seoi Nage, and O Goshi, the rest of the classes were more on fitness and breakfalling, my fitness is much better due to that and I already know a thing or two about break-falling but I don't mind training again for it.

I was wondering...

Are there any good videos I can learn from? Or good instructors whom I can watch on the internet at times where I don't know what I'm doing? There are so many Judo videos I don't know what's good or not.

I know I'm still new and all that but I'm very enthusiastic, if only more experience and no amount of videos or advice can help at this point then sorry for wasting your time.

Or if you have any other advice to make me get better faster (attendance is a given) and avoid common or beginners mistakes if any I welcome that too.

Also why is there an Ippon before Seoi Nage?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/17/2011 6:29pm

Style: 'Grapplin'

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Google it. I dont mean to sound dickish, but you're heading towards a run before walk situation. By all means watch the clips, just dont attempt anything you havnt been taught in person.

Ippon Seoinage- One armed shoulder throw

Morote Seoinage- Two armed shoulder throw

Seoi Otoshi - Shoulder drop

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/17/2011 6:48pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh, thanks.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    9/17/2011 6:51pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I suggest you just stick with the program at your dojo. If it is a decent dojo, you will be brought along at a reasonable rate of progress. As you do not really know any Judo, it will be hard for you to teach yourself anything.

Ippon means "one armed/handed", or something similar, as contrasted with "Morote Seoinage", which mean "both hands/arms" Seoi Nage. In Morote Seoi Nage, you keep both hands on uke throughout the entire throw.

For more advice, I suggest Bullshido member Judoka_UK 's blog "The Difficult Way".

http://thedifficultway.blogspot.com/

It's full of good advice for beginners such as yourself.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Posted On:
    9/17/2011 7:50pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Too late to reply properly, check out my blog and will post properly tomorrow.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/17/2011 8:04pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks BKR and judoka!

I will read the blog!

Posted On:
    9/18/2011 7:20am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister View Post
    I was wondering...

Are there any good videos I can learn from?
    No, not really, because at this stage in your development you aren't really in a position to learn anything from videos. Also most Judo videos just demo techniques or competition variations, very few actually properly teach.

Or good instructors whom I can watch on the internet at times where I don't know what I'm doing? There are so many Judo videos I don't know what's good or not.
    There are plenty of talented Judoka on vidoes on youtube and many who are also good instructors. However, as before at this stage videos aren't going to help you.

That said you should avoid these people's videos, because they're crap:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/kholowac

http://www.youtube.com/user/AlabamaJudo

http://www.youtube.com/user/Darkslide632

http://www.youtube.com/user/SenseiStrange

Or if you have any other advice to make me get better faster (attendance is a given) and avoid common or beginners mistakes if any I welcome that too.
    Keep turning up.

Do stretching and running outside of Judo sessions.

Only ever work from sleeve and lapel, don't work from the high collar or over the back/round the back grips.

Concentrate on developing over the long term rather than developing over the short term.
    Last edited by judoka_uk; 9/18/2011 7:23am at .

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    9/18/2011 7:45am

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I started Judo about two-three weeks ago and I love it.
    Great now remember to use your new found powers for EVIL!

I was wondering...
    Uh Oh

Are there any good videos I can learn from? Or good instructors whom I can watch on the internet at times where I don't know what I'm doing? There are so many Judo videos I don't know what's good or not.
    There are many GREAT videos out there and they are NOT for you right now. The reason why is the bold part. You're at a few weeks in. Videos come into play when you have an idea of what you are doing and can discern good from bad instruction.

I know I'm still new and all that but I'm very enthusiastic, if only more experience and no amount of videos or advice can help at this point then sorry for wasting your time.
    Seriously the enthusiastic noob that goes out and watches a bunch of videos are generally the ones who develop bad habits that has to be untrained.

Proper conditioning drills on your own time does not hurt. Beginner mistakes will hopefully be slammed out of you.

Also why is there an Ippon before Seoi Nage?
    IPPON is a counter that refers to one long cyindrical thing*, in this case it is referring to an arm. The throw itself is SEOI NAGE. IPPON SEOI NAGE is a variation of that throw.

*This is simplified it the HON/PON counter can be used for such things like rivers to subway routes as well.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/18/2011 9:57am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gezere View Post
    Great now remember to use your new found powers for EVIL!
    Oh you can count on that.

Everyone pretty much gave the same advice, thank you mates.

If anyone has anything to add that they think would help please don't hesitate.

Edit: Are you guys interested in competition? Must I compete to be a good Judoka?

Posted On:
    9/18/2011 10:20am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you want to get your black belt then you need to compete and win some fights at each grade from 3rd kyu up.

However, competing should be put off until you have a minimum of 6-12 months experience in Judo otherwise you're going to be too inexperienced to get anything out of it.

Dunno how much opportunity there is to compete in Egypt, although Egypt does seem to have the strongest Judo in the Arab world.
Page 1 of 15 1 234511 ... LastLast