Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/22/2011 8:03am

Style: BJJ Beginner

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Need a second opinion before I do a school review (Sambo)

Hi guys,

Just wanted to get a second opinion before I do a review on a school. The coach is pretty passionate about it so before I slag off his pride and joy, I would like to get some other people's opinions.

To get an idea of whether my expectations are on the mark.

I wont mention the school, as yet. I have been three times. 2 x participated. Coach is in his 60's ex soviet bloc army guy, makes lot of comments about how people are weak these days and the push through the injury type thing.

Ok I went to check this place out the first time to actually roll. Class size is about 3-5 from what i have seen. Do some warm-ups, then straight into take-downs. I get paired with a 13 year old boy, and we start practising some Judo side take-downs. Which I have never done before but it was pretty straightforward.

Class finishes, I tell him that I train BJJ.... and then he goes on for half an hour about how BJJ people cant be trusted.

I dont bite but just say to him that Im not going to stop training just because he doesnt like them, he seemed serious but good natured about it.

I couldnt return for a few weeks, because of studies and this week was supposed to be when I started training with him regularly.

I get into class, I go to pay and he starts saying he doesn't want me to train there, mentions the bjj and how I havent come since the time before and that he only wants serious people to train. I calm him down and we work out that I will commit, so he lets me join the class, only 3 off us, one kid, one other newb and a regular. We start doing Judo throws again, this time right over the shoulder, I am pared with the other newb, we are just shown how to do the throw.

He comments a few times about how I have got the BJJ disease, he corrects my technique a few times but after just keeps saying no if I ask him if I am doing right. He actually looks pissed off.

Now he hasn't taught us any break-falls at all, either of us.(I have never done throws before except at the previous class) So my partner manages to throw me right over his head and I hurt my ribs.

Then the coach gets the regular to keep throwing me, at first I went a long with it but I just kept getting slammed hard and it was hurting more and more. So I just said I wasn't going to do it any more. His answer was 'You just need to keep getting thrown to get used to it"

This is actually more of rant but I was feeling pretty shitty about the whole thing afterwards. I was excited about seeing a Sambo school here and would have love to a part if it and see it grow but thinking back to the class, this guy seems a bit of a danger. I was going to go back and give it another shot but the atmosphere didn't feel great and I would be worried about picking up an injury.

Its a real shame because this guy has over 40 years experience, I think if someone had a background in Judo or wrestling, you could probably go there safely and learn a thing or two. But I do think of other newbs going there and getting mashed and told to push through it. Even his regulars said they think he is a bit crazy and that he changes his mind every week.

To me this all adds up to a place I wouldn't recommend to someone starting but if you had a lot f experience already, it might be a different story.

I guess as well should I just leave him in his own little world and not worry about a review.
    Last edited by Auszi; 10/22/2011 8:14am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/22/2011 8:15am

Style: 'Grapplin'

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Never mention BJJ to old grappling coaches. Nothing good comes of it.
    To be blunt, and im sure some of the other Judoka will pipe in with their 2 cents, but so far i've found the older Judo coaches to be backwards, passive aggressive and highly dismissive of anything they dont like. I've stuck at it and it hasnt got any easier, but quitting would be letting those miserable cunts win.

I love the Judoka on this site because they bring me hope, hope that my experiences are'nt an accurate representation of Judo everywhere.

Im so fucking used to hearing about how "back in the day it was blah blah many good players", "no good Judo" , "Not like it used to be". Not once have I heard any of the miserable bastards consider "hey, maybe its really **** because we put people off with our **** attitude and arrogance" or "If its bad, its probably our fault, seeing as we're responsible for the current generation of Judoka".

Old fucks are scared of change, be it positive or negative, and will treat change in the same way all old fucks treat change, with hostility.

Seriously, why is it so fucking hard to understand , that if the thing you love is going down the toilet around you, it may well be because you've fucked it up.

Ooh look, I made a rant too.

I wasnt joking btw, JudokaUK , CoachJosh , BKR and such keep me going with Judo.

Disclaimer: In this situation, "Old ****" refers to a mindset and pattern of behaviour rather than a definite age.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    10/22/2011 9:54am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kickboxing?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do a review if you want mate, but give yourself some time to cool off before getting stuck into it. It won't be an honest one if you end up doing it mad.

Administrator

Posted On:
    10/22/2011 10:13am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, cool off. No, there is no reason to train with a "get off my lawn" instructor if he irritates you that bad. 40 yearsof experience doesn't always mean a great teacher.

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer.

Posted On:
    10/22/2011 10:21am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Juggernoob View Post
    "Not like it used to be".
    One of our black belts is also a BJJ black belt.

Back when he was a BJJ brown, we had a guy come into our club who said he used to "do a bit", but hadn't trained in a while. He wanted somewhere to hang while his daughter did something else in the centre (can't remember what, gymnastics or something).

Anyway... two of the older coaches are chatting, they recognize him from somewhere. Apparently this guy was a pretty good back in the day, a strong regional competitor. Given that, he probably would've trained with the national squad... but he wasn't on team GB or anything, no Olympics or Internationals. Just a solid Judo guy.

So... that day I sat and watched a late 40s Judoka who hadn't trained in like 10 years, give game to an extremely fit and competitive BJJ brown belt on the ground. He wasn't kicking his ass or even winning, but he was certainly not doing poorly.

It's not hyperbole, it's not bullshit... Things did used to be different.

IMO they can be different again, but we need BJJ to help us get there, because so much has been pissed away.
    Last edited by Lu Tze; 10/22/2011 10:35am at .

Posted On:
    10/22/2011 10:28am

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Remember atmosphere/attitude is one of the criteria for school reviews. Rate the school according to the outlined criteria and make sure to accurately describe the instructor's attitude. Also OP said even the instructor's regulars admit he's crazy but didn't the OP also mentioned that there was only one regular student and another newb?

To me attitude of a school is important. If the instructor has a negative attitude the students usually adopt the same philosophy. I don't want to train with negative a-holes and I don't want to become one either. If I found the best school for the right price and the students and instructor were jerks I'd try out every other place in town before even considering training with the a-holes.

Posted On:
    10/22/2011 10:34am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Auszi View Post
    I guess as well should I just leave him in his own little world and not worry about a review.
    Mate, just go somewhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by Lu Tze View Post
    One of our black belts is also a BJJ black belt.

Back when he was a BJJ brown, we had a guy come into our club who said he used to "do a bit", but hadn't trained in a while. He wanted somewhere to hang while his daughter did something else in the centre (can't remember what, gymnastics or something).

Anyway... two of the older coaches are chatting, they recognize him from somewhere. Apparently this guy was a pretty good back in the day, a strong regional competitor. Given that, he probably would've trained with the national squad... but he wasn't on team GB or anything, no Olympics or Internationals. Just a solid Judo guy.

So... that day I sat and watched a late 40s Judoka who hadn't trained in like 10 years, give game to an extremely fit and competitive BJJ brown belt on the ground.

It's not hyperbole, it's not bullshit... Things did used to be different.

IMO they can be different again, but we need BJJ to help us get there, because so much has been pissed away.
    Lol, he wasn't an ex Barnsley boy was he?

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer.

Posted On:
    10/22/2011 10:36am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Gawthorpe?

Lol, no... funny you should say though, cause we've had him in too.

This guy was from somewhere around the Midlands judging from his accent, definite Notts and Derby twang to it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/22/2011 10:47am

Style: BJJ Beginner

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Yes, cool off. No, there is no reason to train with a "get off my lawn" instructor if he irritates you that bad. 40 yearsof experience doesn't always mean a great teacher.
    I was pissed off but more disappointed, hence the rant. I had really been looking forward to training with this guy and training something that is pretty unique down here. He even told me the first time he was there that he used to have more students and would like to get more in.

Juggernoob was right about the hostility, I am just a beginner and I might be wrong about what he could actually offer, but its a bit sad to have all that experience disappearing just because of some macho bullshit. That is why I was still even considering going back but decided its not worth getting injured trying to play his game on the off chance he might be a diamond in the rough.

The odds that someone one from my town actually finding the review are pretty slim, I will just keep the review pretty simple. I do think there is a chance for someone new to really injure themselves which is why I was going to right it in the first place.

Posted On:
    10/22/2011 10:48am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lu Tze View Post
    Gawthorpe?

Lol, no... funny you should say though, cause we've had him in too.

This guy was from somewhere around the Midlands judging from his accent, definite Notts and Derby twang to it.
    That would be banter if Gawthorpe turned up and just said he'd 'done a bit', poor BJJ guy would get absolutely raped.

Yeh he's Midlands technical officer, but he seems to do a bunch of stuff back around his home region as well, definitely worth getting him in, if you can try and get a randori in with him on the ground its.... eye opening.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast