--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Puyallup, WA Jiu-jitsu real or fake?

I'm looking to join a bjj school and came across puyallup jiujitsu. I have only been doing Jiu-jitsu for 4 months and not sure if this school is legit. It stood out to me that he was fake because when I saw the black belt roll he didn't seem very good. I may not have much experience in jiu-jitsu however I think he was lacking in what to do against the lower ranks. That being said it also appeared he was giving much effort. I'm still new in Jiu-jitsu that is why I wanted to ask you guys what you think. The website to the gym is www.puyallupjiujitsu.com. Thanks for reading.

Last edited by oompa; 10/22/2011 3:13am at .

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I'm looking to join a bjj school and came across puyallup jiujitsu. I have only been doing Jiu-jitsu for 4 months and not sure if this school is legit. The only thing that made me think that it might be fake is when I saw the black belt roll he didn't seem very good. I may not have much experience in jiu-jitsu however I think he was lacking in skills. That being said it also appeared he was giving much effort. I'm still new in Jiu-jitsu that is why I wanted to ask you guys what you think. The website is www.puyallupjiujitsu.com. Thanks for taking time to read.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Website to the dojo is www.puyallupjiujitsu.com

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I'm looking to join a bjj school and came across puyallup jiujitsu. I have only been doing Jiu-jitsu for 4 months and not sure if this school is legit. It stood out to me that he was fake because when I saw the black belt roll he didn't seem very good. I may not have much experience in jiu-jitsu however I think he was lacking in what to do against the lower ranks. That being said it also appeared he was giving much effort. I'm still new in Jiu-jitsu that is why I wanted to ask you guys what you think. The website to the gym is www.puyallupjiujitsu.com. Thanks for reading.

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    On the "instructors" section, it gives rank in "jiujitsu and vale tudo", no mention of Brazillian Jiu Jitsu.

In the gallery, they show "Brazillian Jiu Jitsu". I guess a logical question is "is the black belt claimed in Brazillian Jiu Jitsu, or just "jiu jitsu".

Just email them and ask that, also ask about the "jiu jitsu" blackbelts lineage.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    xingyi
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This does not belong in this subforum and I moved your other thread to newbietown. Do not create another one.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One of the FAQs is

What is the Belt System for Brazilian Jiujitsu?

which leads me to believe that they are awarding rank in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. As BKR mentioned, you might want to ask about their lineage, i.e., who awarded them their black belts in BJJ.

Also, be advised that BJJ black belts will sometimes play at a lower level to give their lower level students a chance to make something work. A BJJ black belt once let me take him down with a crappy single leg and get position just to gauge my skills; if he'd been playing me at BB level, I wouldn't have had a snowball's chance in hell.

Style
    jiujitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am the owner of the gym, and I can assure you our jiujitsu black belt (Coach Oliveira) is a legitimate black belt as is his son Lucas. In regards to "oompa" I think I have a idea of who you are, the thing that "noobs" dont understand/realize is when you've been training jits for as long as our coach has (43years) your not going to roll with people and destroy them. Go to any jits gym anywhere in the country, the black belts dont steamroll through everyone, Ricardo Almeda made a blog post about this. If your a black belt and you roll with lower belts and submit them within the first 10seconds, 1. they dont learn anything and dont improve 2. they are not going to be motivated to roll because they are not gaining anything except getting destroyed. When a black belt rolls with any lower belt they will "play" with lower belts like Outis said, they want to give lower belts the chance to learn, change position, get a submission, learn how to escape, pass the guard etc. You might see black belts "struggle" as you call it because at the black belt level you purposely put yourself in the worst position possible so you can work escapes from that. I forgot who the black belt was, but he would start every match by having his opponent get a super tight rear naked choke and body triangle, and thats how it started. Did he ever tap of course, but does that mean THAT black belt is no good, hell no, that lets the lower belt learn what he is doing right or wrong in that situation, meanwhile that black belt is working escapes while helping his student learn. I've done martial arts for 25years, and have been teaching for 15, whenever I spar with students I dont knock them into next week, I work WITH them to teach them HOW TO do things, how to make this work, etc. IF you expect to walk into a gym and get destroyed by the black belts your in the wrong game my friend. Our jiujitsu coach is a legitimate black belt under Kaor Okada from Brazil, anad has been doing jits for the past 43years. He also holds a brown belt in Judo, and also has training in other martial arts like russian sambo, krav maga, capoeria, etc. I've rolled with ALOT of people and Coach Oliveira is one of THE toughest black belts i've ever rolled against. There are other black belts in WA that have paid him for private lessons and have learned a vast amount of new knowledge. If you have questions about something, go to the source and ask, dont be naive and assume things.

Style
    BJJ, wrestling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mastershields View Post
    I am the owner of the gym, and I can assure you our jiujitsu black belt (Coach Oliveira) is a legitimate black belt as is his son Lucas. In regards to "oompa" I think I have a idea of who you are, the thing that "noobs" dont understand/realize is when you've been training jits for as long as our coach has (43years) your not going to roll with people and destroy them. Go to any jits gym anywhere in the country, the black belts dont steamroll through everyone, Ricardo Almeda made a blog post about this. If your a black belt and you roll with lower belts and submit them within the first 10seconds, 1. they dont learn anything and dont improve 2. they are not going to be motivated to roll because they are not gaining anything except getting destroyed. When a black belt rolls with any lower belt they will "play" with lower belts like Outis said, they want to give lower belts the chance to learn, change position, get a submission, learn how to escape, pass the guard etc. You might see black belts "struggle" as you call it because at the black belt level you purposely put yourself in the worst position possible so you can work escapes from that. I forgot who the black belt was, but he would start every match by having his opponent get a super tight rear naked choke and body triangle, and thats how it started. Did he ever tap of course, but does that mean THAT black belt is no good, hell no, that lets the lower belt learn what he is doing right or wrong in that situation, meanwhile that black belt is working escapes while helping his student learn. I've done martial arts for 25years, and have been teaching for 15, whenever I spar with students I dont knock them into next week, I work WITH them to teach them HOW TO do things, how to make this work, etc. IF you expect to walk into a gym and get destroyed by the black belts your in the wrong game my friend. Our jiujitsu coach is a legitimate black belt under Kaor Okada from Brazil, anad has been doing jits for the past 43years. He also holds a brown belt in Judo, and also has training in other martial arts like russian sambo, krav maga, capoeria, etc. I've rolled with ALOT of people and Coach Oliveira is one of THE toughest black belts i've ever rolled against. There are other black belts in WA that have paid him for private lessons and have learned a vast amount of new knowl edge. If you have questions about something, go to the source and ask, dont be naive and assume things.
    Read this: http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/mma....00318&forum=11

Does Mr. Oliveira have a black belt in Brazilian jiu-jitsu? If he claims he does, can you explain how he earned a purple belt at 14 and a brown belt at 16?

Perhaps you're not aware that a person can't earn his blue belt in BJJ (that comes before purple and brown) until he turns 16.

Here's another link, this one to an old myspace account where Mr. Oliveira states he trained under Kaor Okada and has a black belt in BJJ.

http://www.myspace.com/mma_academy
    Last edited by jnp; 1/12/2012 2:01am at . Reason: corrected spelling of Kaor
    Shut the hell up and train.