Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/24/2005 8:12am

Style: Judohaus (ex beejayjay)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

'Field Aikido'?!

Has anybody encountered anybody from 'field aikido'?

Their url is http://www.martial.com.au/

One of my friends does this, and i'm highly convinced it's bullshido... well, it's aikido for one. But i'd rather not pass judgement until i've heard reviews, who knows, it may be 'the real aikido'.

My friend says that it's decent, but apparently the stuff they train cant be sparred in a full contact manner. Standing wristlocks and stuff.

One of the rules from their website: (students are) "Not to attend any non Field Aikido martial arts events without permission from their Sensei.", which reeks of absolute mcdojoism. It's one of the reasons why i've had trouble getting him to roll with other schools.

The 'memoriam' section is also kinda cheezy, and there are some amusing videos on the site.

Anyone encountered any 'field aikidoka'? Reviews?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/24/2005 10:02am

Style: Aikido/Shotokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Aye he looks legit. Regarding not interacting with other schools unless given permission might be an attempt to get the new student to focus on his aikido training, then once a certain level of experiance is reached said student could branch out, at least thats my guess. Have your friend ask him straight out his reason behind this rule or perhaps you could email him and ask the question.

Unexpected Elbow

Posted On:
    9/24/2005 2:48pm

Join us... or die
     Style: MMA/Pankration

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Standing wristlocks! TOO DEADLY? FIND OUT NEXT!!
    "The depressing thing about tennis is that no matter how good I get, I'll never be as good as a wall." - Mitch Hedberg

El Guapo says dance!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/24/2005 4:28pm

Style: Aikido/Shotokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Aikido journal online has some Iwama ryu clips in the general section if anyone wanted to take a look.

Professional Wrestler

Posted On:
    9/24/2005 6:47pm

Style: Aikido-Kickboxing-Taichi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To maintain and make proper use of all Aikido equipment.
    What the **** equipment are they using? All you need for Aikido is two things: Youself and a stick between 40 and 50 inches long. And usually, the stick is optional.
    And the guy does this to make cash off equipment sales, $50 - $85 for a uniform, + $80 for a hakama, $80 for a jo + $82.50 for a Bokken + $8 for a knife + $25 for a bag. This guy is into you for $325.50 right off the bat.

Not to use Aikido techniques offensively inside or outside the dojo.
    Not to attend any non Field Aikido martial arts events without permission from their Sensei
    Both of these are to keep students from seeing that what they learning isn't the end all be all.

Both of those make me stamp this place McDojo right off the bat.

This:
    He teaches Budo (martial code of behaviour) so his students will learn about loyalty, respect, duty, rights and obligations. He teaches Bushin (martial techniques to still the mind) so his students can access peace more often, even when the world around them is chaotic.
    and this:
    Your Field Aikido training will not get you into trouble!
    Under Australian Law you are permitted to use reasonable force in your self
    defence. Use of excessive force is a crime. If all you can do is to kick and
    punch you could end up in gaol! You’ll learn to appropriately defend
    against 31 different kinds of physical and weapons attacks.
    Scare me, they guy is either: Not teaching Budo because he has no clue what it is, or is teaching some made up philosophy that he is labeling Budo. Budo and Aiki tend to be incompatable. Next, ig you can't take a shiho-nage past the point where it could be considered excessive, then you aren't learning it right. And the same can be said for many other techniques. This is BS and misleading, or they guy isn't teaching the techniques properly, so he doesn't have to worry about his students really injuring somebody.

Of course, since he has a prohibition against using techniques outside of class, he could be counting on nobody actually doing them.

His ranks are also bothersome, unless his ranks were just accepted by other organizations, it should have taken between 40 and 47 years to achieve those ranks. But it isn't uncommon for a person who is changing organizations to get his entre rank accepted, or even bumped up a notch or two if the new organization really wants the guy. So while I say it is bothersome, it is not indictive of any bullshido.
    Last edited by Peter H.; 9/24/2005 7:01pm at .
    "Quiet fool before I am kicking the butt!"
    -My three year old trash talking to me

"Integrity can't be bought or sold---you either have it or you don't."
    -The Honky Tonk Man

"If you can't be a shining example, at least be a dire warning."
    -My Father to me one day

"No surprise. Until Aikido sheds its street-brawling, thuggish image, it'll never be mainstream."
    -Don Gwinn

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/24/2005 11:16pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One of my training partners is a fourth dan in Iwama Aikido (not under Michael Field), who has pulled off Aikido techniques in BJJ tournaments and training.

I'll see if I can get an opinion sometime this week.

EDIT: Apologies. I found out I accidentally got his rank wrong :5dunce:
    Last edited by NSLightsOut; 9/28/2005 7:25am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/25/2005 1:28am

Style: bjj, boxing, ex-iwama ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually he is very legit.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/25/2005 2:31am

Style: Karate, Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He has been around for years, he is legitimate in terms of having graded formally by M.Saito (head of Iwama Aikido, now deceased).

"Not to attend any non Field Aikido martial arts events without permission from their Sensei."
    i found from personal experience Iwama aikido groups tend to be more insular in comparison with other Aikido groups and for what reason- i dont know. I found Iwama style Aikido as one of the most effective forms of Aikido. (im not from a Iwama based Aikido group)
    Last edited by Running Ronin; 9/25/2005 2:39am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/25/2005 8:53am

Style: Judohaus (ex beejayjay)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    After a further review of the site techniques, if this is a legitimate school of aikido, can somebody explain to me why techniques like this emerge?

http://www.martial.com.au/movies/technique/Kotegaes.MPG (you wanna try and punch him any harder?)
    http://www.martial.com.au/movies/tec...ainohenko2.MPG (gave his back to him on a silver platter)

if this isnt bullshido, i dont know what is

Professional Wrestler

Posted On:
    9/25/2005 12:57pm

Style: Aikido-Kickboxing-Taichi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll look at the techniqies later, but there are a few techniques where you turn your back into a guy as part of a throw, same as with basic hip and shoulder throws.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast