Page 1 of 4 1234 Last
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    433
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    What to look for in a Judo Club?

    Hi guys,

    Is there any red flags or little things i can be on the look out for when I am looking at a Judo Club?

    Any questions that are good to ask?

    After being thrown repeatedly tonight at Sambo (3rd class) and told to just relax, without ever being taught break falls, my Sambo coach can go **** himself until I learn how to fall properly.

  2. #2
    judoka_uk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    England
    Posts
    4,611
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Affiliation to an IJF NGB and well that's about it for the basics.

    Beyond that contest experience, grade etc...

    Try this, looks good for Perth and they have an adult beginners session

    http://judointernational.com/

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    England
    Posts
    273
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Auszi View Post
    Is there any red flags or little things i can be on the look out for when I am looking at a Judo Club?
    Blue gis.

  4. #4
    BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer. Join us... or die

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    W. Yorks, UK
    Posts
    5,009
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by captainbirdseye View Post
    Blue gis.
    If the blue gi has a big white patch on the back with something like "GBR" on it, then I'd love to be there when you step up to the guy and tell him it's a problem :P

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Ecuador
    Posts
    1,565
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by captainbirdseye View Post
    Blue gis.
    Any colour gi's other than white and blue. Blue should not be the majority if it is present.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    England
    Posts
    273
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lu Tze View Post
    If the blue gi has a big white patch on the back with something like "GBR" on it, then I'd love to be there when you step up to the guy and tell him it's a problem :P
    Okay, I'll clarify, everyone in blue gis, even the over sixties, particularly if they aren't keen on competing.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Ecuador
    Posts
    1,565
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by captainbirdseye View Post
    Okay, I'll clarify, everyone in blue gis, even the over sixties, particularly if they aren't keen on competing.
    BJA or BJC?

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    433
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So do I demand to roll with the guy in the blue gi with GBR on it, and just before we start I say he is full of ****? Should I wear a bjj gi with Gracie Barra on it as well?

    I found this place

    http://www.judouwa.com.au/

    Looks like they are members of the IJF and they are just a little closer.

  9. #9
    My dog is cuter and smarter than yours. Join us... or die
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    7,202
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Auszi View Post
    So do I demand to roll with the guy in the blue gi with GBR on it, and just before we start I say he is full of ****? Should I wear a bjj gi with Gracie Barra on it as well?

    I found this place

    http://www.judouwa.com.au/

    Looks like they are members of the IJF and they are just a little closer.
    That looks pretty good to me. They have 3 adult beginners class per week.

    Also, a judo club isn't a member of the IJF. The Judo club would be associated with it's NGB (national governing body), that would then be a member of the "continental" body (in the case of Australia, I believe it's "Oceania"). The "continental" governing body would be a member of the IJF.

    In any case, looks like a good place.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    433
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    That looks pretty good to me. They have 3 adult beginners class per week.

    Also, a judo club isn't a member of the IJF. The Judo club would be associated with it's NGB (national governing body), that would then be a member of the "continental" body (in the case of Australia, I believe it's "Oceania"). The "continental" governing body would be a member of the IJF.

    In any case, looks like a good place.
    Thanks Ben, I stand corrected. I actually found them on this site:

    http://www.judowa.org.au/


    There is also this place but its a bit further.

    http://www.kanojudoschools.com/

    I know its a broad question, but how much difference does that extra Dan or two, make to the quality of the coaching. Carlo Knoester is also an IJF referee.

Page 1 of 4 1234 Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO