Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/21/2011 12:07am

Style: Aikido, Kajukembo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

What About a Pick Instead of a Sledge?

I have seen, many times, people hitting tires with sledges for a core workout. I don't have a tire, but I have a large area of leach fields from my septic, that are supposed to be broken up periodically, and a pick.

I am training with a friend who is competing in MMA. I am thinking of killing two birds with one stone, and getting him and I out there and breaking up this area by hand with a couple of picks.

I know the swing of the sledge, in this type of training, is important, but I also have heard that it's the control of the sledge that also matters. Would a pick be a good alternative to sledge and tire training?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/21/2011 12:12am

Style: Issh"i"nryu fixed....

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No. If you're trying to pick something that gives the same resistance, you're likely to get brained. If you don't have the resources to do an excercise properly, you're better off finding another one.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    10/21/2011 12:34am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've done some sledgehammer exercises and have some experience with a pickaxe (removing root balls). I'd say picking the ground is similar to hitting a tire, but a tire is a good deal raised off the ground and it changes the dynamic (aside from how the tool behaves after the strike). Using a pick will usually entail a lot of energy unrelated to the swing too (shifting it back and forth to loosen the earth, etc). But if you could Tom Sawyer your way into convincing your friend that doing work for you is good for his MMA, go for it. Convincing your student that your manual labor is their hardcore training worked for Mr Miyagi and the Drunken Master.

Posted On:
    10/21/2011 12:35am

Style: Limalama, Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Before there was sledge and tire there was wood and axe. Pick and field are essentially the same thing. Bigger question I might pose is what background do you have that you should be training someone for MMA? Just doing something because you've seen someone else doing it is a bad way to devise a training strategy.

Posted On:
    10/21/2011 2:31am

Style: Kettles (MA hiatus).

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you have a job that needs doing with a pick just do it, it'll be a good workout plus there's one less chore to do. Permalost is right as well, tell your mate that picks are the 'real' sledgehammers and he'll be hacking the stuff up in no time.

I chop wood almost daily now and got a clients son to help me after he volunteered. I sped up the job, the kid got a workout, everyone's happy.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/21/2011 1:39pm

Style: Aikido, Kajukembo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by HereBeADragon View Post
    Before there was sledge and tire there was wood and axe. Pick and field are essentially the same thing. Bigger question I might pose is what background do you have that you should be training someone for MMA? Just doing something because you've seen someone else doing it is a bad way to devise a training strategy.
    I'm not training him, I train with him. We lift together, jog together, and keep each other on track when diet time comes. I am a long time TMAer and his trainer is happy I get the kid to stretch regularly, we don't work on fighting or technique, that's his trainers' job. We wrestle around a little,, but more for my benefit than his. When he gets tired, he comes to me and my wife for motivation and encouragement. He knows what he needs to do, I just make sure he follows through when he gets tired. I guess you can say I am his Jiminy Cricket of training. His trainer likes me around, because I don't give advice or interfere with what he has planned. Sometimes he gives me homework for my friend. I know some may look at it as me getting used by the trainer, but my friend is like a brother, and anything I can do to help him succeed, I'll try and help.

Of course, I'll check with the trainer, and get a lesson on technique before moving forward. I know just getting out there and getting the work done will be some benefit, but if we can capitalize and do some drills or specific exercise while getting it done, it may leave more time for the trainer to do other stuff too. My friend likes doing strange workouts and he's a beast, but the trainer has the last say on whether something is a good idea, especially if he's close to a fight.

I was just wondering if any Bullies out there had experience with both activities, and noticed any difference.

Posted On:
    10/21/2011 1:49pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aikironin21 View Post
    I'm not training him, I train with him. We lift together, jog together, and keep each other on track when diet time comes. I am a long time TMAer and his trainer is happy I get the kid to stretch regularly, we don't work on fighting or technique, that's his trainers' job. We wrestle around a little,, but more for my benefit than his. When he gets tired, he comes to me and my wife for motivation and encouragement. He knows what he needs to do, I just make sure he follows through when he gets tired. I guess you can say I am his Jiminy Cricket of training. His trainer likes me around, because I don't give advice or interfere with what he has planned. Sometimes he gives me homework for my friend. I know some may look at it as me getting used by the trainer, but my friend is like a brother, and anything I can do to help him succeed, I'll try and help.

Of course, I'll check with the trainer, and get a lesson on technique before moving forward. I know just getting out there and getting the work done will be some benefit, but if we can capitalize and do some drills or specific exercise while getting it done, it may leave more time for the trainer to do other stuff too. My friend likes doing strange workouts and he's a beast, but the trainer has the last say on whether something is a good idea, especially if he's close to a fight.

I was just wondering if any Bullies out there had experience with both activities, and noticed any difference.

Why don't you have a seat over there?