Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/02/2005 12:30am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Paleolithic diet?

Does anyone know anything about the paleolithic diet? On one hand, it seems to have an aura of "just another trendy fad bullshit diet," but the idea behind it (that we should eat only foods similar to what cavemen ate, because that's what we're best equipped to digest from a biological and evolutionary standpoint) actually makes a lot of sense to my scientifically (but not specifically biologically or nutritionally) trained ears.

I'm not trying to lose weight. If anything, I could stand to gain a few pounds. I'm just looking to eat healthier. Is the paleolithic diet worth a try?

BJJ Black Belt

Posted On:
    10/02/2005 11:26am

supporting member
     Style: Rex Kwon Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A lot of people swear by it. I think the fat/carb/protein comes out about the same as the "Zone" ratios.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/02/2005 11:28am

Style: One-armed flailing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cavemen also had a much shorter lifespan than modern man by about half.

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    10/02/2005 11:56am

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by oldman_withers
    Cavemen also had a much shorter lifespan than modern man by about half.
    Yeah, but there's no reason to assume that was because of their diet.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    10/02/2005 12:01pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This isn't the one that includes raw meat as well, is it?

Although the concept sounds nice, from what I remember a biology professor telling me, it's implementation isn't exact to theory (as I imagine it would be difficult).

In any case, I suppose there might be some merit, since cooking food supposedly forms carcinogens or w/e, but I'll take a pass on it personally.

Posted On:
    10/02/2005 12:21pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Camus
    This isn't the one that includes raw meat as well, is it?

Although the concept sounds nice, from what I remember a biology professor telling me, it's implementation isn't exact to theory (as I imagine it would be difficult).

In any case, I suppose there might be some merit, since cooking food supposedly forms carcinogens or w/e, but I'll take a pass on it personally.
    I don't think the paleo diet precludes cooking meat. Fire has been around a lot longer than farming. The idea is to just eat what paleolithic hunter-gathers would have eatedn (i.e. no farmed grains, no processed food).

Middleweight

Posted On:
    10/02/2005 12:42pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ah, just wondering, I know there's a diet out there somewhere that has people eating raw meat (not just fish, but beef and such as well), although I'm sure it isn't very popular! Apparently, at first, people start off having HCL with their meals to prevent from getting infections and help digest and what have you.

This paleo diet sounds pretty reasonable then, but perhaps a little expensive and time-consuming (don't think most retaurant and otherwise 'normal' food is up to snuff).

Posted On:
    10/02/2005 1:14pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ah, just wondering, I know there's a diet out there somewhere that has people eating raw meat (not just fish, but beef and such as well), although I'm sure it isn't very popular! Apparently, at first, people start off having HCL with their meals to prevent from getting infections and help digest and what have you.

This paleo diet sounds pretty reasonable then, but perhaps a little expensive and time-consuming (don't think most retaurant and otherwise 'normal' food is up to snuff).
    Eating raw (i.e. completely raw, not cooked rare) beef is fairly common in Europe. Steak Tartare (raw finely chopped steak) and Carpaccio (very thinly sliced raw steak) are the two dishes I've tried. It tasted good, I didn't need to ingest any HCL and I didn't get sick afterwards. You can probably do the same with lamb, but it would be a no-no with pork or poultry (at least the factory-farmed kind).

Middleweight

Posted On:
    10/02/2005 2:10pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I suppose you were 'lucky', heh.

I got turned off to the whole idea after a buddy of mine got a tapeworm from one of those dishes while we were in Berlin. I don't remember what it was exactly, but he said it was Belgian?

The HCL stuff I'm serious about, but I'm talking about a diet based on raw meat, not just a few dishes, hmm, let me see what I can find.

http://www.karlloren.com/human-raw-meat-diet.htmvv :5obsessed

That's some weird stuff, but I didn't read much of it (at work), but you get the idea. They also relate it to the paleo diet, which I've heard before and is why I asked.

Posted On:
    10/02/2005 3:30pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I suppose you were 'lucky', heh.

I got turned off to the whole idea after a buddy of mine got a tapeworm from one of those dishes while we were in Berlin. I don't remember what it was exactly, but he said it was Belgian?

The HCL stuff I'm serious about, but I'm talking about a diet based on raw meat, not just a few dishes, hmm, let me see what I can find.

http://www.karlloren.com/human-raw-meat-diet.htmvv :5obsessed

That's some weird stuff, but I didn't read much of it (at work), but you get the idea. They also relate it to the paleo diet, which I've heard before and is why I asked.
    Yeah. A lot of the ideas in the more mainstream paleo diet make sense to me, but just the design of that site left me expecting a popup offering to sell me splinters from the true cross, or special sunglasses that would protect me from reptiloid mind-control.
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast