Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    10/20/2011 12:56pm

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Knee pads for FMA

I've recently suffered a pretty serious patella injury, I was completely out of training for about 5 weeks and I've been slowly working back into some drills for FMA. BJJ is still out though until I get full range of motion in my knee.

When I get the okay from the DR. I want to resume doing more light-full contact stick work including grappling with the stick. I'm in need of some knee pads that will provide protection from a solid strike and won't get in the way while grappling.

Currently for sparring my group uses fencing masks, lacrosse gloves, and lacrosse elbow pads. If it goes to the ground we pull off the masks and gloves and the lacrosse elbow pads are pretty stationary and don't interfere too much.

With sparring we use lighter sticks and control the power on the strikes so we can spar regularly without injury. The goal of sparring is to experiment and work technique. Imagine a somewhat more controlled version the DBMA gathering style sparring. Rather than 100% power i'd extimate it ranges from the 30%-75% power range.

Like I said we don't necessarily strike full force so the knee pads don't have to be the plastic bubble cover type. I'd also like to find some that provide padding to the lateral sides of the knee as well. If anyone knows a knee pad that is comparable to the lacrosse elbow pads in design that would be perfect. The elbow pads we use fasten around the forearm and bicep so there is full mobility in the elbow joint.

What do you guys use for knee protection? Also, the cheaper the better because we may get a few sets of the pads.

Posted On:
    10/20/2011 1:54pm

Style: Aikido / FMA / Krotty

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    9 circles do a knee pad which I thing is for iaido. It has round front pads instead of square, and offer joint support too. I use them for aikido.

I haven't used them for fma, as I've done next to no sparring yet, and have plastic bubble skate pads for that.

Nice pads, but whether they'll provide enough impact support I don't know.

When life gives you lemons... BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!

"what's the best thing about aikido then?"
    "To be defeated by your enemies, to be driven by them from the field of battle, and to hear the lamentations of your women." ermghoti

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    10/20/2011 4:07pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There's a pair that's sold at bloodsport.com

I ordered a pair when I got my last fencing mask, and I like them. Protects the knees from strikes and from impacting the ground. You can wear them under gi pants without trouble if you feel like it.

Posted On:
    10/20/2011 4:59pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    @ Ignorami: I did a google search for 9 circles knee pads and couldn't find anything, can you link a website?

@ Permalost: are these the knee pads
    http://bloodsport.com/shopping_cart.php
    They look pretty simple and they're cheap too. I might just go with these if nothing better turns up in this thread.

Posted On:
    10/20/2011 5:14pm

Style: Aikido / FMA / Krotty

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is the place

http://www.ninecircles.co.uk/Iaido_A...Knee_Pads.aspx

Miner are black, and the pads rounder, so can't be sure these will suit so well. Worth a look at that price though I'd have thought

EDIT: American version of site here:

http://ninecirclesusa.com/Iaido_Acce...cessories.aspx

When life gives you lemons... BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!

"what's the best thing about aikido then?"
    "To be defeated by your enemies, to be driven by them from the field of battle, and to hear the lamentations of your women." ermghoti

Posted On:
    10/20/2011 9:59pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ignorami View Post
    This is the place

http://www.ninecircles.co.uk/Iaido_A...Knee_Pads.aspx

Miner are black, and the pads rounder, so can't be sure these will suit so well. Worth a look at that price though I'd have thought

EDIT: American version of site here:

http://ninecirclesusa.com/Iaido_Acce...cessories.aspx
    Not bad those pads look very similar to the pads linked by Permalost the only difference I can see is the bloodsport.com pads are square rather than circular.