221234 Bullies, 4035 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 31 to 40 of 52
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 56 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. Sarcastr0 is offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1

    Posted On:
    11/18/2011 11:10am

    Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Shotokan Karate

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    First, as to Mr. Bushey's military experience and law enforcement credentials. As two previous post have stated, Mr. Bushey has been employed by two different LE agencies. As anyone who has ever applied to any LE agency will tell you they do extensive background check prior to employment. As Mr. Bushey has been employed by these agencies it would seem his credentials have been verified . . . twice. As to the Penn and Teller show, and this is an assumption, it would stand to reason that they would employ some form of fact checking before airing material in order to avoid embarrassment or worse lawsuit. One would also, and again I know, assume that either of these LE agencies or the theoretical fact checkers with P&T, or the Discovery channel would be at least on par with the legal team associated with a certain website that I know of.

    Second, the rather egotistical assumption that Mr. Bushey must be following this thread. Why should he feel the need? What direct bearing on anything do the opinions anyone posts have? If Mr. Bushey decides to post he will and if not, he won't. In my opinion, and it shouldn't way heavy on anyone, I should think that he won't. Because try as we might to keep these little discussions relevant or at least civil, they usually don't end up that way. Becoming instead this back and forth bitch-fest.

    As to the iaijutsu technique, its validity and origin would probably be dependent on the style and branch of MJER being taught. And the opinions against, the style and branch of those persons in disagreement. I personally haven't ever performed that particular technique. As far as application goes who's to say that, regardless of the amount of experience on either side, anyone has seen or even thought of every application that even one kata can produce?
  2. Rock Ape is offline
    Rock Ape's Avatar

    Watch and Shoot !

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    10,125

    Posted On:
    11/18/2011 11:17am

    staff
     

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Seems to me that people are rather defensive of something someone shouldn't be afraid of discussing.

    Now to the point,

    Ref the weapon craft - I'm a small arms instructor with near 3 decades of military experience behind me, I'm still serving, I can back that up - indeed I already have before on this site. My comments are based on EXPERTISE not rhetoric, unlike yours. Unless that is, you'd like to explain to me what qualifies you to discuss Mr. Bushey's LEO/Mil background, on his behalf and in the public domain.

    I care less about your of opinion of me, if you think I'm egotistical because I express an opinion you clearly don't like, that's tough.. and it's NOT RELEVANT to this discussion.

    Ref the sword technique - by your own admission, you're clearly not qualified to discuss it so your opinion is largely irrelevant
    Last edited by Rock Ape; 11/18/2011 11:21am at .
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

    ~Ella Wheeler
  3. It is Fake is offline
    It is Fake's Avatar

    Administrator

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    33,752

    Posted On:
    11/18/2011 12:00pm

    staff
     Style: xingyi

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    All people that want to support and post in this thread need to read the rules. Passive aggressive insults, outright insults and other shenanigans will not be tolerated in this subforum.

    As to the extensive background checks, they are not infallible. Do I need to get the newspaper reports of multiple failures in background checks by employers including Law enforcement? Let's cut this red herring out right now.

    Background checks look for specific things just like drug tests. If something is not in the search range it will not be caught.

    As to your assumption, it has already been proven these shows misrepresent things. For example, there are scientists on various Dicovery Channel shows have nothing to do with engineering or crash testing. Yet, that is what they are doing when they collect data.
  4. tgace is online now
    tgace's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Western New York
    Posts
    1,230

    Posted On:
    11/18/2011 1:39pm


     Style: Arnis/Kenpo hybrid

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have actually been involved in police hiring and background checks/investigations.

    Most of the time all that we are looking for on a DD214 is the length of service, disciplinary actions and type of discharge. While the MOS of the person (and awards, rank, etc.) involved is interesting, it's not typically something we dig deeply into 99% of the time. If the person served out his/her enlistment or comission honorably and had no disciplinary problems they are good to go.

    Nobody is disputing Mr. Bushey's service in the USAF, and I thank him for his service. Claiming PJ status is something else; especially if that person is training LEO/MIL personel with that claim as evidence of special skills/training.

    Just to be clear, Im not saying he was or wasn't anything, only that PJ status is claimed but unproven at this point.

    With the number of people we have seen here teaching martial arts who also claim all sorts of LE/MIL training you should realize that there is a widespread issue with people embillishing their resumes in the MA world. People asking questions and looking for answers should not be seen as insulting, just being careful. As a matter of fact, when people are shown to be legit in their claims here those facts are clearly stated and that could possibly benefit the person in questions enterprises.
    Last edited by tgace; 11/18/2011 2:02pm at .
  5. seant8 is offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    6

    Posted On:
    11/19/2011 6:09pm

    Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Shotokan Karate

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, I let my sarcasm get me in trouble again. As much as I wanted to leave the thread alone after this, I started part of this argument so I'll do the right thing and finish my part of it. There are well known problems between the Komei Juku and other MJER branches in Japan and it always rears itself in these discussions. I'm pretty low on the totem pole and don't want to add to that too much so I'll just say the technique in question is not part of the official MJER curriculum, Sekiguchi sensei likes to teach variations of technique and that one just happened to be filmed. That is not something you do in an exam or embu, it has no official name. Our MJER kata list is the same as all the other MJER branches. As for me filming a full speed demo of that technique, honestly, I'm mainly a karate guy and if I take the time and effort to film anything it would be bunkai and applications of karate kata. If you don't believe me about making the technique in question work in training, I'm OK with that, I'm not passionate enough about this particular henka to take extra time to prove it's worth. Maybe someone else will be, who knows. I expect you'll have very pointed things to say about me not making this video for you, so feel free to vent to your heart's content. Every martial arts teacher I've ever had will show variations from the official curriculum, I'm sure yours has as well.
    About flying down there, that is something I stand by. Mr. Bushey can defend himself on here, but I think it is pompous to criticize a very high ranking Japanese instructor on an internet forum when we are fortunate that they are even willing to share the koryu with us. If I criticized your Japanese sensei's techniques Sekiguchi sensei would scold me and maybe disown me as a student. Sekiguchi sensei is the one demoing that technique in the video and Mr. Bushey is just his uke. So you are not calling out Mr. Bushey on that technique, you are calling out Sekiguchi sensei himself. I think it is arrogant and rude as an American student of koryu to criticize a Japanese Soke of another koryu regardless of what you think of what you saw, and I would not do it if the situation was reversed. That's my opinion and it won't change, so we will have to agree to disagree. I still think any criticism of a high ranking Japanese instructor should be done face to face if you really think it is your place to do so.

    As for the rifle handling, I have no military background and I'm not an expert so I'm not commenting on how a weapon was handled I have no experience with. You two can handle that between yourselves. I'm just a cop and a pretty new one at that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock Ape View Post
    Thanks but you assume a little too much.

    Firstly I've been involved in Japanese sword arts (both koryu and gendai) long enough to be in a position to recognise what I see in such supposed techniques. In addition to my own study, I have my own teacher(s) and friends involved in the same or similar arts who've also expressed their own opinions which mirror my own. That's enough for me to make an informed and educated opinion.

    Secondly, Just because they're Japanese doesn't preclude them from being wrong or deluded. I can provide you with video evidence of Japanese teachers being epically stupid and equally deluded about their ability and art.

    Suggesting I should fly to Japan to discuss this with Sekiguchi is a fallacy and a weak retort. Who put that video into the public domain ? People should be responsible for their actions, if someone puts a video of themselves doing something which others think is stupid, they better damn well be prepared to accept those comments, otherwise don't publicise yourselves in such a way.

    Please, was that an attempt at appealing to a higher moral stance? Perhaps sarcasm? Whatever it was, it's lost on me because I know for a fact that Mr. Bushey is keeping an eye on this thread yet he hasn't the character to come forward and post himself.

    We're not talking about behind closed doors, we're talking about a technique which is presented in the public domain.

    "Full speed".

    Sorry but I simply don't believe you. I can't say it any clearer than that. Given that your teacher has previously posted youtube videos of his training, there shouldn't be an issue in you posting one of you doing that same waza, at what you claim is full speed. I'd really like to see that, and, you proving me wrong in the process. Would you do that ?

    That's not a student of koryu's attitude at all.

    Study of a koryu isn't focused on that at all, especially a sword specific system. The curriculum exists, you study it regardless otherwise you're wasting your time, you can't determine whether you "discard" a technique or not, that's not for you to decide. However; senior MJER teachers in my country who also study under Japanese teachers have stated that the technique in the video DOES NOT exist in any orthodox MJER curriculum - so where does it originate please ?

    Could you also tell me what the specific name of that waza is, (the Japanese name) I'd like to research it.

    .. And kill you ? seriously, do you know how stupid that sounds just on it's own merit ?

    I note that you haven't commented specifically on my post where I critiqued Mr. Bushey's skill at arms within the P&T show? Specifically the absence of basic skills which one would expect someone like Mr. Bushey to be 'old hand with.

    Here's a final thought from me today. If what you do can't stand up to the small amount of scrutiny/critique I've leveled toward it, what does that say about its credibility in general? I commend you for standing your corner and speaking out but you're not substantiating anything or really doing yourself justice, are you.
  6. Rock Ape is offline
    Rock Ape's Avatar

    Watch and Shoot !

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    10,125

    Posted On:
    11/19/2011 7:33pm

    staff
     

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by seant8 View Post
    Well, I let my sarcasm get me in trouble again. As much as I wanted to leave the thread alone after this, I started part of this argument so I'll do the right thing and finish my part of it. There are well known problems between the Komei Juku and other MJER branches in Japan and it always rears itself in these discussions.
    I'm well aware of these issues, as I've stated earlier in this thread I'm a student of Muso Shinden Ryu which is the sister system to MJER (if you weren't aware). I have my own opinions as to the reasons for these issues but this thread isn't the place to discuss them specifically.

    Quote Originally Posted by seant8 View Post
    I'm pretty low on the totem pole and don't want to add to that too much so I'll just say the technique in question is not part of the official MJER curriculum,
    I'm already aware of that thanks.

    Quote Originally Posted by seant8 View Post
    Sekiguchi sensei likes to teach variations of technique and that one just happened to be filmed.
    So my rhetoric question then is.. "variation" of what technique exactly ?

    Generically speaking what was being demonstrated may be part of 鞘之術 saya no jutsu; my suspicion is however what was seen in the video was specifically henka-oyo waza devised by Sekiguchi Komei himself.

    Now, if you'd rather not be drawn into a conversation about techniques I respect that and I won't attempt to discuss such things with you further but, given how you make much about the technique in your post, it appears you do have a lot to say about it.

    Quote Originally Posted by seant8 View Post
    That is not something you do in an exam or embu, it has no official name. Our MJER kata list is the same as all the other MJER branches.
    You're being taught a technique under the guises of a Koryu-ha.. Yamauchi-ha Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu to be exact yet, the technique doesn't exist in the ryu curriculum and it has no specific name. In addition there are those other than myself, who are far more skilled and knowledgeable who would argue the believability of said application. My belief however is that technique is combatively unbelievable and entirely pointless within the context of what was seen in the video.

    Do you have henka-oyo waza in Shotokan Karate-do which have been made up by someone, techniques which have never been tested, and haven't been given some form of nomenclature for reference in teaching ?

    Quote Originally Posted by seant8 View Post
    As for me filming a full speed demo of that technique, honestly, I'm mainly a karate guy and if I take the time and effort to film anything it would be bunkai and applications of karate kata. If you don't believe me about making the technique in question work in training, I'm OK with that, I'm not passionate enough about this particular henka to take extra time to prove it's worth.
    You claim the technique works, I suggest otherwise, we're all entitled to our opinions.

    Quote Originally Posted by seant8 View Post
    Maybe someone else will be, who knows. I expect you'll have very pointed things to say about me not making this video for you, so feel free to vent to your heart's content.
    Unless someone can in fact demonstrate that technique as combatively effective (which I doubt), no one will be the wiser; I would have thought that to silence the ney-slayer (that's me), posting a video would be a great way of making your point.

    Quote Originally Posted by seant8 View Post
    Every martial arts teacher I've ever had will show variations from the official curriculum, I'm sure yours has as well.
    You've mentioned this specifically three times thus far, its a variation of what technique within the "official" MJER Curriculum?

    Quote Originally Posted by seant8 View Post
    About flying down there, that is something I stand by. Mr. Bushey can defend himself on here, but I think it is pompous to criticize a very high ranking Japanese instructor on an internet forum when we are fortunate that they are even willing to share the koryu with us.
    Look, I can legitimately criticise anyone I so choose, that's my choice, I make it knowing I'm willing to accept the consequences of my actions, it's called being an adult.

    But lets cut this away from the peripheral notion that respect is commanded and not earned. Because it isn't, and being a martial arts teacher, even a high ranking one, doesn't make that person any different to anyone else.

    The video you refer too was put in the public domain by either Sekiguchi or Bushey, I'd suggest it was the later of the two thus, if he's willing to put something out there for public viewing, like I stated in my last post, he better be willing to accept whatever comments come his way as a result. If Bushey or Sekiguchi can't take a little negative critique then don't publicise in such ways, it doesn't get any simpler than that.

    Quote Originally Posted by seant8 View Post
    If I criticized your Japanese sensei's techniques Sekiguchi sensei would scold me and maybe disown me as a student.
    If my teacher(s) put videos of themselves on Youtube they'd be accepting responsibility of their actions. But you know in all reality, any critique would be plainly ignored unless it was from a source they themselves valued.

    Quote Originally Posted by seant8 View Post
    Sekiguchi sensei is the one demoing that technique in the video and Mr. Bushey is just his uke. So you are not calling out Mr. Bushey on that technique, you are calling out Sekiguchi sensei himself. I think it is arrogant and rude as an American student of koryu to criticize a Japanese Soke of another koryu regardless of what you think of what you saw, and I would not do it if the situation was reversed.
    This all comes back to my point about respect - it isn't automatically given just because:

    1 - He's Japanese
    2 - He's a high ranker holder
    3 - He teaches a Koryu

    Suffice to to say, if I had any genuine interest in Sekiguchi sensei as a teacher, or the branch of MJER he represents then perhaps I might extend him a degree more courtesy, however I'm not.

    Does that make me rude and arrogant.. in your eyes and perhaps in those of others yes. But like I stated in my last post to you, I care very little about what you think of my opinion - I'm entitled to hold and express it, just as you are yours. My opinion however is based on objectivity, yours is based on loyalty. I know which I'd rather trust.

    Quote Originally Posted by seant8 View Post
    As for the rifle handling, I have no military background and I'm not an expert so I'm not commenting on how a weapon was handled I have no experience with. You two can handle that between yourselves. I'm just a cop and a pretty new one at that.
    You know how to shoot though, yes ? The principles behind all marksmanship are the same for rifle or pistol, they only start to differ somewhat when we start discussing and applying those skills over long ranges where aspects of trigonometry and understanding how the Coriolis effect has on the flightpath of a round fired from a rifle.

    When you were taught to shoot your sidearm, were you taught to squeeze the trigger having taken up any slack (first pressure) then maintain pressure on the trigger immediately after the round is fired until the sight picture returns or.. simply press/snatch at the trigger ?
    Last edited by Rock Ape; 11/20/2011 7:23am at . Reason: removal of unneeded hint of sarcasm
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

    ~Ella Wheeler
  7. tgace is online now
    tgace's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Western New York
    Posts
    1,230

    Posted On:
    12/13/2011 11:43pm


     Style: Arnis/Kenpo hybrid

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Update:

    Since I have little to no experience with USAF training, schools or MOS qualifications I referred to the people at the POW network regarding Mr. Bushey's PJ claims. They requested his military records through FOIA and sent me this:



    Unless there is something unusual going on, it appears unlikely that Mr. Bushey ever participated in, much less graduated, the USAF Pararescue school. While these FOIA records are not a complete picture, the listing of schools, duty stations, rank and awards are typically very accurate. I see nothing here that indicates any Pararescue training or experience.

    To be fair, I have attempted to contact Mr. Bushey via e-mail a number of times to see if he would like to address this issue with me or contact the POW Network people directly, as they had additional questions such as Pararescue Class numbers and dates that I could not provide.

    After initial correspondence, Mr. Bushey stated he believed I had a agenda with my questions and has not responded to any of my emails since.
    Last edited by tgace; 12/14/2011 12:26am at .
  8. tgace is online now
    tgace's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Western New York
    Posts
    1,230

    Posted On:
    12/14/2011 12:06am


     Style: Arnis/Kenpo hybrid

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    While this is more recent (compared to 1981-84) information about the Pararescue MOS...

    http://usmilitary.about.com/library/...ts/bl1t2x1.htm

    The list of duty stations a PJ would normally be assigned to is of interest.

    and the list of schools required:

    http://www.pararescue.com/unitinfo.aspx?id=446

    and man..thats a LOT of schooling!
  9. It is Fake is offline
    It is Fake's Avatar

    Administrator

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    33,752

    Posted On:
    12/14/2011 12:38am

    staff
     Style: xingyi

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Of course not, ranks have been closed and the people who were "helping" have told him to shut up.
  10. futabachan is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Toronto, ON Canada
    Posts
    74

    Posted On:
    12/14/2011 1:29am


     Style: naginata

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Some links related to "House of One":

    http://www.myspace.com/katsujinbudokai

    ...which hasn't been updated in a while, but which does list Bushey-sensei as the coach. It includes this:

    "House of One" is a Pro/Amateur MMA team located in Lubbock, Texas trying to bring quality MMA to the West Texas area. Taught By Walt Bushey: 5th dan Black Belt Karate-jutsu Okuden Menkyo Koryu Bukijutsu 1990 U.S. / Japan Yoshukai Middleweight Kumite Champion 1988, 1989 WKKA Texas State Middleweight Kumite Champion, 1984 USAF ATC Middleweight Kickboxing Champion 1981 New England open Karate Champion. The name "House of One" was given to Bushey sensei and his dojo by his sensei, Sekiguchi Komei Soke and represents the different disciplines brought together by Bushey sensei for the MMA students. Pro fighters include Hayley "the Elf" Cypert Amature fighters include Jose Ruiz 170lbs, Juan Cuellar heavyweight, Manuel Gonzalez Super-Heavyweight and George Trujillo Super-Heavyweight.
    ...and a comment from someone about how they "all got their asses kicked." I'm not sure if that's a team member, or someone from outside who knows them, referring to an unrelated fight.

    Interestingly, it looks like Sekiguchi-sensei named the MMA team, which is an odd thing for an iaido sensei to do. It's unclear whether Bushey-sensei's okuden menkyo is from MJER, Ryouen-ryu, or some other koryu (or sort-of-koryu) ryuha.

    http://www.txmma.com/forum/mixed-mar...-214-240-5988/

    ...which had this old posting on it from 2008:

    These are the house of One fightrers we spoke about
    these are all the fighters we have including myself but i am not sure if i will be fighting at this time. They are all amature fighters
    The boys
    Manuel Arturo Gonzalez the 3rd DOB 05/16/80 300lbs 0-0-0
    Josh Hill DOB 08/08/85 170lbs rec 0-2-0
    Kreg Hadley 145lbs DOB 07/13/86 0-0-0
    Zach Haney 155lbs 3-4-0
    Aaronn Garcia 230lbs 2-2-0
    Juan Cuellar 265lbs 0-0-0
    George Trujillo 330lbs 0-1-0
    The girls
    Hayley Cypert DOB 12/08/89 110 0-0-0
    Jessica Miramontes DOB 02/21/85 140lbs 0-0-0
    Garcia appears to be 3-5-0 now, and Cypert 0-1-0 with no fights since 2009; I haven't looked up the rest yet.

    http://www.fightteam.net/MMA-SCHOOL/...use-of-One-MMA

    ...which had this video posted on it:



    So, from a first look, it would appear that Mr. Bushey really is or was the coach for a MMA team named "House of One," and not just for 2006. Perhaps not the best of teams, but this claim appears to check out.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 56 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.