218358 Bullies, 7576 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 21 to 30 of 52
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123 456 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. tgace is online now
    tgace's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Western New York
    Posts
    1,194

    Posted On:
    11/12/2011 11:55pm


     Style: Arnis/Kenpo hybrid

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just for some cross-reference, I see that Mr. Bushey has been mentioned here at Bullshido in the past.

    Mentioned in first post of this thread:

    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=44950
  2. Rock Ape is offline
    Rock Ape's Avatar

    Watch and Shoot !

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    10,125

    Posted On:
    11/13/2011 2:51am

    staff
     

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mr. Bushey, I suspect you're keeping an eye on this thread so I would like to ask you about what I saw within the Penn and Teller video.

    Would you care to elaborate for me how important the principles of marksmanship are, and why good control over the operation of the trigger - especially on a weapon platform specifically designed for long range target interdiction is important. But more specifically, Mr. Bushey, why those basic skills appeard to be absent from the video.

    As with just about every instance where I'm involved in these thread discussions, I'm happy to provide you with validation of my own exerience/expertise. Just to ensure you're fully aware that I'm not some keyboard Walter Mitty, and that I do actually possess the skills/qualifcations of an instructor with operational warfare experience.

    My status as a serving member of the Armed Forces has already been validated with this site's legal team together with my qualifications as an expert marksman.
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

    ~Ella Wheeler
  3. tgace is online now
    tgace's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Western New York
    Posts
    1,194

    Posted On:
    11/13/2011 11:38am


     Style: Arnis/Kenpo hybrid

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And claims of being a PJ are quite a claim. While they don't get as much press as SEALS or Delta, they are as elite of an organization. They have a washout rate of around 90% before they complete their training.

    If I were considering dropping coin on anybody making claims of Spec Ops experience these days I would expect some proofs. And the people making those claims shouldn't take offense from that.
  4. seant8 is offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    6

    Posted On:
    11/16/2011 9:32pm

    Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Shotokan Karate

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Our agency is like that too. When someone applying for a job here makes claims of spec-ops experience, the officers doing the background investigations make the calls and do the appropriate interviews to make sure those claims are true. We can't have officers making false claims about military service, it makes our agency look dishonest. By the way, that particular background investigation happened in this case and he is still employed with us. Just throwing that out there.
    As an aside, if someone asked me if I would shoot a .50 CAL at a gas tank, my response would respectfully be "hells yeah!" I'd make sure my tagline read "random redneck" so as to avoid this type of discussion. I do have operational experience eradicating the prairie dog scourge, that should count for something.
  5. seant8 is offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    6

    Posted On:
    11/16/2011 9:41pm

    Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Shotokan Karate

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock Ape View Post
    Ok.. well.. I've had a fairly lengthy discussion with a respected MJER teacher who confirmed my suspicions.

    Muso Shinden Ryu Iai (what I study) is the sister system to what Bushey studies, thus I am very familiar with the forms and techniques of both Ryu, the first video includes a technique which isn't even contained within MJER curriculum, not to mention that fact that is likely the most ridiculous example of an entirely impractical application of the tsuba (hand guard) I've ever seen (in over 20 years of training), if people want to know I'll happily explain however, anyone with a degree of common sense should be able to grasp the nonsense.
    Sounds like you should fly to Japan and give Sekiguchi sensei a stern talking to for propagating such nonsense. Or maybe just find a good translator and write him a letter. You'd actually probably wind up talking to him for a while, he loves to sit down and talk to people and hear their criticisms, and would make sure you got an answer you were satisfied with. Or you could just critique him here, that's a lot less hassle. I do that sometimes myself, criticize people when I know they are not around to hear. For some reason I have a hard time looking my father in the eyes when that happens, weird huh?
  6. tgace is online now
    tgace's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Western New York
    Posts
    1,194

    Posted On:
    11/16/2011 9:53pm


     Style: Arnis/Kenpo hybrid

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I sent my DD214 (with ssn and a few other sensitive things blacked out of course) to the admins here to get my mil tag. And Sam Browning called me at work to verify my LEO claims. I guess you kind of get used to people looking for proof around here. Perhaps others take offense to that sort of thing...I've got nothing to hide lol. Anybody want to see my ARCOM certificate? LOL!

    Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    Last edited by tgace; 11/16/2011 10:07pm at .
  7. tgace is online now
    tgace's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Western New York
    Posts
    1,194

    Posted On:
    11/16/2011 10:01pm


     Style: Arnis/Kenpo hybrid

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not a Trad Japanese arts guy so take this with a grain...

    I have to say that I can see Rock Ape's point. That move seems like a next to impossible technique to make work in real life where a sword blade has to be met with that small handguard. Is that seen in most Japanese Sword arts?
  8. seant8 is offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    6

    Posted On:
    11/16/2011 10:12pm

    Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Shotokan Karate

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tgace View Post
    I'm not a Trad Japanese arts guy so take this with a grain...

    I have to say that I can see Rock Ape's point. That move seems like a next to impossible technique to make work in real life where a sword blade has to be met with that small handguard. Is that seen in most Japanese Sword arts?
    I can't recall seeing this technique in an embu of any other style, but you never know what goes on behind another dojo's doors. I've practiced it with a partner, and with them swinging a bokuto at my head full speed I can make it work MOST of the time lol. That's what sucks about fighting, screw up and it tends to hurt a lot. You just have to see for yourself. When I see a technique video I find interesting I first make sure I understand it, then practice it slow with a partner, and then have said partner try to kill me and see how it goes. If it goes badly enough, I discard said technique and move on. If it turns out that it works a high percentage of the time, I grin from ear to ear because I have just added to my knowledge.
    Last edited by seant8; 11/16/2011 10:16pm at .
  9. tgace is online now
    tgace's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Western New York
    Posts
    1,194

    Posted On:
    11/16/2011 10:18pm


     Style: Arnis/Kenpo hybrid

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Perhaps my understanding of what Koryu is/means is lacking (or if this is a Koryu art Im looking at), but I thought most authentic trad Japanese arts like this had a fairly standard...well "standard" in regards to basic techniques.

    Again... I'm nothing more than an armchair Samurai in these types of Arts.
  10. Rock Ape is offline
    Rock Ape's Avatar

    Watch and Shoot !

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    10,125

    Posted On:
    11/18/2011 6:51am

    staff
     

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by seant8 View Post
    Sounds like you should fly to Japan and give Sekiguchi sensei a stern talking to for propagating such nonsense. Or maybe just find a good translator and write him a letter.
    Thanks but you assume a little too much.

    Firstly I've been involved in Japanese sword arts (both koryu and gendai) long enough to be in a position to recognise what I see in such supposed techniques. In addition to my own study, I have my own teacher(s) and friends involved in the same or similar arts who've also expressed their own opinions which mirror my own. That's enough for me to make an informed and educated opinion.

    Secondly, Just because they're Japanese doesn't preclude them from being wrong or deluded. I can provide you with video evidence of Japanese teachers being epically stupid and equally deluded about their ability and art.

    Suggesting I should fly to Japan to discuss this with Sekiguchi is a fallacy and a weak retort. Who put that video into the public domain ? People should be responsible for their actions, if someone puts a video of themselves doing something which others think is stupid, they better damn well be prepared to accept those comments, otherwise don't publicise yourselves in such a way.

    Quote Originally Posted by seant8 View Post
    ... Or you could just critique him here, that's a lot less hassle. I do that sometimes myself, criticize people when I know they are not around to hear. For some reason I have a hard time looking my father in the eyes when that happens, weird huh?
    Please, was that an attempt at appealing to a higher moral stance? Perhaps sarcasm? Whatever it was, it's lost on me because I know for a fact that Mr. Bushey is keeping an eye on this thread yet he hasn't the character to come forward and post himself.

    Quote Originally Posted by seant8 View Post
    I can't recall seeing this technique in an embu of any other style, but you never know what goes on behind another dojo's doors.
    We're not talking about behind closed doors, we're talking about a technique which is presented in the public domain.

    Quote Originally Posted by seant8 View Post
    ..//..I've practiced it with a partner, and with them swinging a bokuto at my head full speed I can make it work MOST of the time lol.
    "Full speed".

    Sorry but I simply don't believe you. I can't say it any clearer than that. Given that your teacher has previously posted youtube videos of his training, there shouldn't be an issue in you posting one of you doing that same waza, at what you claim is full speed. I'd really like to see that, and, you proving me wrong in the process. Would you do that ?

    Quote Originally Posted by seant8 View Post
    That's what sucks about fighting, screw up and it tends to hurt a lot. You just have to see for yourself. When I see a technique video I find interesting I first make sure I understand it, then practice it slow with a partner, and then have said partner try to kill me and see how it goes. If it goes badly enough, I discard said technique and move on. If it turns out that it works a high percentage of the time, I grin from ear to ear because I have just added to my knowledge.
    That's not a student of koryu's attitude at all.

    Study of a koryu isn't focused on that at all, especially a sword specific system. The curriculum exists, you study it regardless otherwise you're wasting your time, you can't determine whether you "discard" a technique or not, that's not for you to decide. However; senior MJER teachers in my country who also study under Japanese teachers have stated that the technique in the video DOES NOT exist in any orthodox MJER curriculum - so where does it originate please ?

    Could you also tell me what the specific name of that waza is, (the Japanese name) I'd like to research it.

    .. And kill you ? seriously, do you know how stupid that sounds just on it's own merit ?

    I note that you haven't commented specifically on my post where I critiqued Mr. Bushey's skill at arms within the P&T show? Specifically the absence of basic skills which one would expect someone like Mr. Bushey to be 'old hand with.

    Here's a final thought from me today. If what you do can't stand up to the small amount of scrutiny/critique I've leveled toward it, what does that say about its credibility in general? I commend you for standing your corner and speaking out but you're not substantiating anything or really doing yourself justice, are you.
    Last edited by Rock Ape; 11/18/2011 6:57am at .
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

    ~Ella Wheeler
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123 456 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.