Posted On:
    10/23/2011 8:03pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: NinBuKai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by StepInCross View Post
    mrh80

My right tricep is much bigger than my right bicep. My left pec is much much bigger than my right. My lats are bigger in relation to my pecs etc.
    I have heard of this being common with people who don't do much dedicated weight-lifting, but still are pretty active (e.g. labor job). A common remedy is beginning to lift weights, as your muscles grow the imbalances will shrink. Being aware is half the battle!

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    10/24/2011 3:08am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Judo, Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sri Hanuman View Post
    Harry Wong has a great book on dynamic tension execrises. If that's what you're interested in, I strongly recommend it. Just don't let the cover put you off.

http://www.amazon.com/Dynamic-Streng.../dp/0865680132
    I got curious about this book and bought it 8-9 years ago. Followed the program (and a modified version using his principles but different movements) for a while, and have done it multiple times since. On the whole, I have to admit I rather like it. It definitely feels like you're doing a lot of work.

At a basic level, the physiological principles are sound. Muscle tension creates force, and when you create this tension in opposing muscle groups, the force should create resistance that causes the muscle groups to respond and get stronger. On the surface, it sounds good. And there probably is a certain amount of benefit to it. However, there is one major aspect that's neglected: the neurological aspect. You respond to exercise in a manner that reflects the way you train. With dynamic tension, you're not actually moving any external load around like you would in weight training. As a result, while your muscles are working very hard, you're not necessarily training yourself to do any functional work. And since the whole point of getting stronger is to move external loads (opponents, garbage bags, whatever), this functional aspect matters.

What I think Dynamic Tension is particularly good for, somewhat ironically, is conditioning. The extreme muscle tension that one can achieve undoubtedly causes the muscles to work much harder. Thus, the cellular metabolism is greatly increased, getting an affect very similar to intense conditioning work.

The way I currently use it: I do each of my forms twice (yes, I still do my old kung fu forms, that MA-nerd side of me never died). The first time, doing them "properly", full speed, crisp movements. The second time through, doing them with as much full body muscle tension as I can muster throughout every movement. And I'll tell you, I sweat like crazy and my heart is racing much more than when I run. Is it doing me any good? Well, I can't provide any objective measures that say it is. But I like to think that simply due to the sheer difficulty of it is.

But for my actual strength training.... it's good old weight training for me.
    Click To Get My Free Training Newsletter... Do It NOW!

"You all just got fucking owned.";
    "TaeBo_Master and GajusCaesar just scored 10,000,000 points on all you pawns."

- The Wastrel

Posted On:
    10/24/2011 6:14am

Join us... or die
     Style: Cheng Man Ching Taijiquan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The Sanchin kata is pretty much the same thing, I think.
    =================
    Kama Sutra blue belt.

Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    I used to **** guys like you in prison.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock Ape View Post
    Dude I kill people for a fucking living.

Dipshit

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    10/24/2011 9:18am

supporting member
     Style: (Hung Ga+BJJ+MT+JKD) ^ Qi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The Yi Jin Jing (Muscle/Tendon Changing Classic) and other forms of Chinese qigong are also great dynamic tension exercises. I don't think they'll build huge muscles/limbs (targeted weight training is of course a more effective way of doing that), but they definitely help build healthy ones (hence the name), and also give the heart and nerves a good, gentle exercise.

Posted On:
    10/24/2011 9:21am

Join us... or die
     Style: Cheng Man Ching Taijiquan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Correct me if I'm wrong (I've seen several variations of the Yijin Jing,) but the Yijin Jing that you're referring to, is also called the 12 Deva Exercise?
    =================
    Kama Sutra blue belt.

Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    I used to **** guys like you in prison.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock Ape View Post
    Dude I kill people for a fucking living.

Dipshit

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    10/24/2011 12:15pm

supporting member
     Style: (Hung Ga+BJJ+MT+JKD) ^ Qi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sri Hanuman View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong (I've seen several variations of the Yijin Jing,) but the Yijin Jing that you're referring to, is also called the 12 Deva Exercise?
    There are twelve exercises. Although there is a lot of Shaolin origin myth associated with them, a lot of independent scholarly research has been done throughout the years to dispel many false attributions as to their origin. Historically they were described as early as late Ming dynasty (1624), but are likely remnants of much older exercises that were simply not written down. There is absolutely no (credible) evidence out there to link them to the presumed Damo era a thousand years earlier (5th century AD)

Hung ga is a so-called "external" art, but the YJJ my lineage practices is as close to Taiji-flavor as I have seen so far. From what I read, the more probable YJJ origin stories are linked to Daoist priests...seems to make sense given the so-called "internal" feeling to these exercises. They are definitely quite different from most other Hung Ga exercises.

This is very close to the version I practice. Doing this set will leave you covered in sweat and give you a worked out feeling, and barely raise your heart rate above resting, one of the signs of a very efficient aerobic exercise.

Note the old school tiger lunges. I love tiger lunges.

Last edited by W. Rabbit; 10/24/2011 12:24pm at .
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12