Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/19/2011 1:47pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here's a match:
    This one has more grabbing:
    So you think it's too stripped-down, then? What are some of these realities that Tankendo ignores?
    Last edited by DARPAChief; 10/19/2011 1:57pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/19/2011 2:39pm

Style: Karate-knockdown, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The thing I find completely wild is that they are using thrust against chest and not just to the throat. That is an interesting variation.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/19/2011 2:58pm

Style: Aikido/JJJ/Judo/GoJu Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think they were displaying the various point zones for kendo matches.

It is my understanding that kendo isn't necessarily designed to teach combat sword fighting, just ask Yukio Mishima...

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    10/19/2011 3:00pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DARPAChief View Post
    Hey Permalost, how does this look through FMA eyes? I think it's safe to say that FMA tends to look closer at the grappling aspect (e.g. PTK), but does that make this over-simplistic? I'm tempted to say this is an exercise in elegence; pairing down techniques to the high percentage and focusing there. Judo has eschewed a lot of substantial material, but people defend it with this logic.
    Well, first I'll say that it looked kind of odd, but there were some things I recognized. The snap cuts to the hand are common enough in styles that use a long knife. It's worth noting that the blade they're using is a very long one, and the guards etc reflect that. FMAs will also use a shorter knife with a less extended guard. The footwork seemed very linear, and they would sometimes do that kendo thing where they cut an angle and counter, and end up running past them. That's sorta like a PTK takeoff, but they wouldn't go in a straight line. I assume that's a point-break thing from kendo? The thrust defense that ends with your point at their torso is similar to the basic thrust defense in my style of arnis.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/19/2011 4:11pm

Style: Out of Practice

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What are some of these realities that Tankendo ignores?
    I guess fundamentally it would be that most people who find themselves in a knife-fight are going to be trying just as hard to come out of it alive as they are to kill their opponent. Charging straight in and stabbing your opponent in the chest or the gut can kill them, yes, but it isn't doing anything to control or impair the use of their weapon so that they aren't able to return the favor.

Other than that I just see them using very linear footwork, gross movements of the hands/arms, doing very little with their off-hand, and using a very awkward length of weapon.
    Last edited by Eudemic; 10/19/2011 4:12pm at . Reason: Forgot some words

Posted On:
    10/19/2011 11:49pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just watched the sparring vids. I liked them. It was a little odd how the left hand stayed low like that, but it looks like what they're aiming to do with the off hand is get very close and check the upper arm/grab sleeve, not the lower arm, and to do so from the inside like an underhook (only sometimes). I think it's easier to sneak the off hand to the deep grip they're looking for to control the arm. Interesting. I think part of this is that the hooking stab/sunkiti doesn't work so well with a long blade so they don't really need to keep the off hand high to deal with a high stab. These lines could be defended with the weapon. I think its also possible that thrusts aren't allowed to the mask (they aren't allowed in WEKAF sparring and those masks are as robust as kendo masks).

Posted On:
    10/20/2011 12:39am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

So you think it's too stripped-down, then? What are some of these realities that Tankendo ignores?
    Why no sewing machine action? They both got into perfect position to do it.

Posted On:
    10/20/2011 1:05am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindz View Post
    Why no sewing machine action? They both got into perfect position to do it.
    Well, the weapon they're using is the size of a bowie knife or smallish bolo. The sewing machine is more a tactic for a short knife. But I think their lack of it has more to do with trying to get an ideal position first before attacking (hey, that sounds familiar). The sewing machine without getting a good high sleeve grip and body position may be seen as the mat spaz of tankendo.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/20/2011 2:45am

Style: Kendo, Iaido, BJJ noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, Tankendo is pretty much the niche of the niche of the niche that is bogu-arts.

Alot of the questions might be helped by a bit of context. The reason for there not being a small knife techniques is because they're not learning to use knives, they're learning to use this

Meet Jukendo- Tankendo's sister art:

Demonstration:

Competition:

As basically described in the link, tankendo and jukendo are a hodge podge system of japanese spear, short sword and european bayonet techniques.

I think its also possible that thrusts aren't allowed to the mask (they aren't allowed in WEKAF sparring and those masks are as robust as kendo masks).
    I don't know the specific Takendo rules, but I would assume so if they're using the shoto (small sword). Shoto are constructed the same way as shinai, and it's not a valid point to stab at the grill for safety reasons with a shinai.
    Last edited by stealth_monkey; 10/20/2011 2:48am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/20/2011 2:47am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    *COUGH*firstposthadalinkwithinfo*COUGHCOUGH*
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast