Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/19/2011 12:45am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Tankendo: When Shinai aren't properly dry cleaned.

Meik Skoss, a Koryu exponent for those unfamiliar, provides a brief explanation: http://www.koryu.com/library/mskoss12.html

Kendo can be a highly skilled exercise in combat sports, but it's not quite directly related to modern conflict (or even ancient conflict? I digress...). Yet here we have Kendo made relevant...maybe? I wonder if this isn't the "boxing" of knife-related MA.

What do you make of it?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/19/2011 5:02am

Style: Out of Practice

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It doesn't look like it has much of anything to do with knife-fighting. More just applying kendo techniques/target-zones to a shorter weapon.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/19/2011 8:24am

Style: Aikido/JJJ/Judo/GoJu Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It definitely looks like some sort of demonstration vice competition....maybe a linguist can translate the MC? There certainly looks to be a specific progression techniques in the sets.

Still I think it looks pretty sweet. My favorite weapons sets are the ones pairing weapons of differing lengths against each other.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/19/2011 11:52am

Style: Karate-knockdown, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The best I can tell is that is rank testing. The guy standing next to the announcer, is calling off techniques to be performed. Each is then performed twice, then they reset for the next set. It just looks like use of Kodachi. In the higher ranksof kendo, you learn the use of Kodachi. It has been forever since I trained in Kendo(and I did not do it for very long), so my skill in decyphering what I am seeing is a bit rusty.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    10/19/2011 12:10pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eudemic View Post
    It doesn't look like it has much of anything to do with knife-fighting. More just applying kendo techniques/target-zones to a shorter weapon.
    Holding an opponent around the waist and stabbing their side doesn't seem to be a kendo technique, as far as I know.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/19/2011 12:27pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    Holding an opponent around the waist and stabbing their side doesn't seem to be a kendo technique, as far as I know.
    I can agree with that, I guess; though the way they're doing it doesn't look too great for knife-fighting.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/19/2011 12:51pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eudemic View Post
    Originally I thought this too, but to say this was the cutting and pasting of sword techniques onto the knife is in and of itself is not a problem; the more consistency you can have between your skillsets, the better. Now, I think it's more a question of the length still being disproportionate (more like a short sword bayonet than the tactical knife common today), when does actual cutting figure in (Kendoka have been known to be very lacking here), and is this complete enough to stand on its own two legs (I think if my boxing analogy is accurate, then this is true).

Hey Permalost, how does this look through FMA eyes? I think it's safe to say that FMA tends to look closer at the grappling aspect (e.g. PTK), but does that make this over-simplistic? I'm tempted to say this is an exercise in elegence; pairing down techniques to the high percentage and focusing there. Judo has eschewed a lot of substantial material, but people defend it with this logic.

Quote Originally Posted by searcher66071 View Post
    The best I can tell is that is rank testing. The guy standing next to the announcer, is calling off techniques to be performed. Each is then performed twice, then they reset for the next set. It just looks like use of Kodachi. In the higher ranksof kendo, you learn the use of Kodachi. It has been forever since I trained in Kendo(and I did not do it for very long), so my skill in decyphering what I am seeing is a bit rusty.
    This is a demonstration in what appears to be a Eastern European country; the Japanese gent calls out the techniques in Japanese, and the lady beside him is probably translating on the fly. The commentary is pretty straight forward (e.g. "this is nodo-tsuki, do-tsuki, kote-uchi, men-uchi").

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/19/2011 12:57pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DARPAChief View Post
    Originally I thought this too, but to say this was the cutting and pasting of sword techniques onto the knife is in and of itself is not a problem; the more consistency you can have between your skillsets, the better.
    . . . Have you ever done any sparring with fake knives?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/19/2011 1:10pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    @Eudemic: Not in any way that's really valid.

Post-war Kendo having strong Ono-ha Itto Ryu influence, it's not surprising that Tankendo kind of looks like their Kodachi. Though it looks pretty alien in comparison to other knife MA, I'm not sure that's reason alone to knock it.
    Last edited by DARPAChief; 10/19/2011 1:15pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/19/2011 1:18pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not knocking it because it's different. . . I'm knocking it because the way they're using their shinai doesn't reflect some of the more serious realities of fighting with knives. Also because a lot of it looked compliant, but if it's a test of some sort then I'd need to go out and do more reading/find more videos.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast