Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    10/20/2011 4:10pm

Style: BBT/BJJ/CJKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by captain zorikh View Post
    One thing I find funny/ironic about this thread is how hard certan HEMA practitioners argued that SCA combat is not HEMA on another thread, and now this news about a SCA fighter (or so I deduce based on the weapons, equipment, and badge of a well-known, cross-kingdom household on his chest in a news photo) is put under a HEMA headline.
    Zorikh

I came up with the headline -- complete with the qualifying question mark -- when I began the thread. You might recall that I was, at one point, arguing for SCA Heavy Combat as a martial art. Not that I was trying necessarily to insinuate through this that SCA is a martial art.

It wasn't entirely clear what, errr, "discipline" these folks were using (pun intended) when I posted this. It seemed at the time they were re-enactors, and I debated whether to call it "WMA" or "HEMA." I thought "HEMA" was somewhat more accurate due to the article calling out the Rennaisance and Middle Ages.

It wasn't clear to me at the time he was SCA; although as I look back, there were hints. By posting, I was really hoping to get more expert information about this bizarre story.

So, that's the skinny on the headline. I didn't expect a meta-discussion about these losers.

Posted On:
    10/20/2011 4:19pm

Style: BBT/BJJ/CJKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gregaquaman View Post
    Isnt the guy supposed to be in a pit or something t9o do that. I mean if you rare going to beat your kids renaissance style you should at least be accurate

I just realised. Is that an octagon?
    Agreed.

There was a documentary that restaged this. But I can't remember the name of the documentary or find a trace of it on YouTube.

I think one of the show's talking heads was Bettany Hughes:

Any familiar with the doc?

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    10/20/2011 4:40pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gregaquaman View Post
    Isnt the guy supposed to be in a pit or something t9o do that. I mean if you rare going to beat your kids renaissance style you should at least be accurate

That one's depicting a judicious battle between a man and woman, with the rules being that the man is buried up to his waist and armed with a wooden club, while the woman is unencumbered and is armed with a long piece of fabric with a rock in it.

I just realised. Is that an octagon?
    Talhoffer's book actually shows people fighting in rings with 6, 8, or 10 sides. If you look at a drawing like this:

it looks like the ring was a creative afterthought, since the lines of the fence go through the legs of the fighters, suggesting that the fighters were drawn first and then the fence was added alter.

Posted On:
    10/22/2011 12:20am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Disciplining a child should not be as hard as this. I've read articles about this topic, please allow me to share it here. A father's assumed discipline meted out against his daughter might land him with felony charges. Reportedly, he forced the 16-year-old to fight him with a wooden sword until she collapsed with fatigue. Source of article: Medieval hobbyist forces daughter to fight him with a wooden sword . Disciplining a teen is different than disciplining a younger child. Teens are too old to be spanked or put in time out.

Posted On:
    10/22/2011 7:59pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not sure I would use this as a discipline for my kid since I'm pretty sure he can take me in a sword fight.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/23/2011 12:48pm

Style: bjj, sca, armored combat

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the info. Oh, the levels of discussion on this topic are meny, among the SCA alone, much less anywhere else. The hints that he's SCA are like big bright flashing red lights for us It's just another piece of bad press for the club. It's actually kind of fortunate that the news report was non-specific about the name of the organization. From the "Unsolved Mysteries" episode 25 years ago to the child molestation case just a couple of years ago, there is much danger that the layman may get a bad impression of our little club.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/23/2011 12:49pm

Style: bjj, sca, armored combat

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was just having fun with the title of the thread anyway, no big deal intended.

Posted On:
    10/24/2011 11:04pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Some things in this story seem off.

First fighting for 2 hours straight I would say is damn impossible for the goddamn Hulk.. fighting for 2 hours straight.. in heavy armour?.... yeah.

So apparently he beat her in a stick fight before hand before she went and got her armour, which again seems quite strange, if she went off and put on her armour after being beaten with sticks.. why didn't she use this opportunity to go get help?

It seems more likely that the stick fight happened while in armour.

The reason I question the story is because with all accounts of dealing with Teenage girls, they are pathological lairs and when in trouble, they will often manipulate the situation to get others in trouble.
    I have known people who have been affected by "attempted rape" allegations that were totally untrue, hell in High school I remember girls bragging about "attempted rape" or "attempted assault", if the girl hated her step-dad, which is quite likely, I wouldn't be surprised if she greatly over exaggerated her claims or outright lied about many things.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/25/2011 7:40am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiron22 View Post
    Some things in this story seem off.

First fighting for 2 hours straight I would say is damn impossible for the goddamn Hulk.. fighting for 2 hours straight.. in heavy armour?.... yeah.

So apparently he beat her in a stick fight before hand before she went and got her armour, which again seems quite strange, if she went off and put on her armour after being beaten with sticks.. why didn't she use this opportunity to go get help?

It seems more likely that the stick fight happened while in armour.

The reason I question the story is because with all accounts of dealing with Teenage girls, they are pathological lairs and when in trouble, they will often manipulate the situation to get others in trouble.
    I have known people who have been affected by "attempted rape" allegations that were totally untrue, hell in High school I remember girls bragging about "attempted rape" or "attempted assault", if the girl hated her step-dad, which is quite likely, I wouldn't be surprised if she greatly over exaggerated her claims or outright lied about many things.
    I really hope you are trolling, otherwise you are the dumbest person on Earth.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    10/25/2011 11:21am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DunkelAnanas View Post
    I really hope you are trolling, otherwise you are the dumbest person on Earth.
    I wouldn't immediately suspect that she was lying, nor would I say that teenage girls are pathological liars, but I wouldn't be too surprised if she wasn't being totally honest. It's a real possibility, as we saw recently with the woman who claimed to be abducted in the PI after she went to learn martial arts from someone on Facebook. It turns out she was lying about the whole thing. Maybe the girl in this story is telling the truth, but maybe she's not and that's a possibility that should be acknowledged.

In this story though, it claimed that her body was covered in bruises. That makes it pretty clear she was being hit repeatedly, and I doubt that she beat herself with a stick just to create evidence.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast