Just out of curiosity is Kennedy still in the Army? I remember for quite a while he was talking about getting out so he could pursue full time MMA. I trained at Team ROC off of yadkin while Kennedy would come in their to train. I also remember an officer who was a long tabber that was a purple belt, can't remember his name..but I remember him being in Civil Affairs is why he sticks out in my mind. This was all about 3-4 years ago, mind you, when I was stationed at Bragg.
Originally Posted by Gezere
I don't know if it's that small of a community anymore because when I was at 10th group in Carson there were quite a few guys that trained and would roll in 10th grp's gym's mat room.
*sorry, I didn't catch what you were originally saying, yes, a "cool guy" being a BJJ black belt is a small community.*
I find this thread a bit funny, not because this guy is obviously a fraud but how he tries to argue being legit.
It's also not against any security protocol to say a Special Force's members name that you trained with. Now, if you said where they live, what missions they're on, etc, then yes, that's a no-no. So I always get a kick out of people trying to sound cool by mentioning SF, SEALs, etc. but try to act like they can't mention their names.
Last edited by powerof0ne; 10/18/2011 11:57am at .
Thank you skippy. You may want to look into his Sambo Claims and contact Sambo Steve. I have to dig out the links, but he was trying to claim Sambo skill and trying to associate himself with the ASA.
That's pretty much what I had discovered before he stopped posting as sixfist aka Sixto Lopez.
Last edited by It is Fake; 10/18/2011 12:17pm at .
In researching more into one of Mr. Valez's instructors, Mr. Solomon, I looked into his claim of rank in Fusho-Satori-ryu. Fusho-Satori-ryu is a style created by Bruce Calkins. Mr. Calkins has been discussed at lenth on Martial Talk and has been called a fraud by the people on Martial Talk. link to Martial Talk discussion: http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/sho...sho-Satori-Ryu
Also Mr. Calkins' website: http://www.goldendragondojo.com/fushosatoriryu.html
And threads from Bullshido: http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...hlight=Calkins http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...hlight=calkins
It has been debated by many that Mr. Calkins is not legit.
If I would venture a guess, I suspect we will find a large number of guys just like these that are all promoting each other to get around the claims of self-promotion. This seems to be turning into the Bullshido investigation of the decade.
It should also be noted that he has modified the bio on his AMJ page.
Previously, it read like this:
Now, he has added the "Troy Schmidt" name to the bio (is this the "Army Ranger"?):
2011 : MASTER LAZARO BUENO GRADES MASTER VELEZ AND AWARDS HIM A 2ND DEGREE BLACK BELT IN COMBAT BRAZILIAN JIU - JITSU. MASTER SIXTO LOPEZ GRADES AND AWARDS MASTER VELEZ A BLACK BELT IN BRAZILIAN JIU - JITSU. MASTER AARON ST. LOUIS GRADES AND AWARDS MASTER VELEZ FULL INSTRUCTOR TITLE IN JEET KUNE DO. AMJ MASTERS AND INSTRUCTORS AWARD MASTER VELEZ HIS 10TH DEGREE BLACK BELT.
Screenshot is here.
2011 : MASTER LAZARO BUENO GRADES MASTER VELEZ AND AWARDS HIM A 2ND DEGREE BLACK BELT IN COMBAT BRAZILIAN JIU - JITSU. MASTER SIXTO LOPEZ & MASTER TROY SCHMIDT GRADES AND AWARDS MASTER VELEZ A BLACK BELT IN BRAZILIAN JIU - JITSU. MASTER AARON ST. LOUIS GRADES AND AWARDS MASTER VELEZ FULL INSTRUCTOR TITLE IN JEET KUNE DO. AMJ MASTERS AND INSTRUCTORS AWARD MASTER VELEZ HIS 10TH DEGREE BLACK BELT.
SO THERE IS NO CONFUSION WITH BJJ - COMBAT BJJ AND STREET SURVIVAL BJJ
*AMJ PROMOTES AND TEACHES AMERICAN MODERN JUJITSU , AMERICAN MODERN AIKIDO , AMERICAN MODERN KARATE (FREESTYLE KARATE : NO FORMS ) & SHIOKU WAZA (PRESSURE POINTS). WE PROMOTE STREET SURVIVAL BJJ (TO FULL INSTRUCTOR NO DAN RANKS). AMJ DOES NOT PROMOTE COMBAT BJJ. MASTER VELEZ IS NOT THE FOUNDER OF COMBAT BJJ. COMBAT BJJ IS A STREET STYLE CREATED BY ANOTHER AMJ MEMBER. MASTER VELEZ IS THE FOUNDER OF ALL AMJ STYLES AND STREET SURVIVAL BJJ. WE DO NOT PROMOTE SPORT BJJ OR ANY OTHER BJJ STYLE. ANY QUESTIONS ABOUT AMJ HOME STUDY COURSES EMAIL MASTER VELEZ DIRECT. THE DIFFERENCE WITH SPORT BJJ IS IT IS DONE IN TOURNAMENTS AND IN THE DOJO. STREET SURVIVAL BJJ WAS CREATED FOR THE STREET. STREET SURVIVAL BJJ ONLY TEACHES THE CORE MOVES THAT WORK QUICK ON THE STREET.
Uhm, yes there is confusion. When you use the word "BJJ" it implies "Brazilian Jiu Jitsu" which implies a certain training method, training timeline, and lineage. Israel has no lineage from anything provided and therefore the use of the word/acronym "BJJ" is misleading at best. Call it "Combat Grappling", "Combat Submission Wrestling", etc.. and there wouldn't be an issue. BUT, the use of "BJJ" presents a VERY false message.
Israel Velez does not have a valid Black Belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and his "BJJ" systems have no legitimate BJJ lineage or backing.
This post is about critiquing Israel Velez's grappling-related videos on his YouTube channel. I do not feel qualified to critique or analyze any other of his videos because I do not have enough experience in other arts (aside from TKD) to judge his skill level.
Now, people may say "you can't judge a person's skill just by his videos". To those people I say this:
1) If you focus on the fundamentals of the technique, it is VERY easy to determine if a person has a baseline of skill in a given art. In BJJ, this is ESPECIALLY true due to the intricate nature of techniques and long learning curve. Fundamentals say EVERYTHING about a BJJ practitioner.
2) If you can't judge a person's skill level via video, then people should not be testing for belts via video or home study courses.
With that in mind, I am ONLY going to mention fundamentals in my critiques. The fundamentals are taught at white belt level, and even then in the first year of training. I will not say anything like "his foot needs to be 2 inches to the left" or anything along those lines; that is nit-picking and is never productive.
Fundamentals only. White belt skill level analysis only.
- No emphasis of "one arm in, one arm out"
- No emphasis on posture control
- Legs are not locked properly (leg across neck should have its foot in the other leg's 'knee pit')
- No cutting of an angle to finish
- Extending both of his legs to finish
* Not even close to a proper triangle choke. No, there is no variation of a triangle choke that looks like the one presented above. The difference can not be chalked up to 'differences between systems'. That is not a triangle choke.
For a proper triangle choke, which is taught to White belts, please see the first triangle choke in the following video (Stephan Kesting):
Arm Bar from Guard
- No emphasis on posture control
- Suggestion to "always cross your feet" is wrong
- Kicking over your opponent is a last resort. Should be finished in the guard position.
* Crossing the feet (or rather, NOT crossing the feet) is something that is addressed VERY early on with White belts. Telling people to always do it is incredibly ridiculous. Aside from that, the remainder of the video is lacking of very basic concepts (fundamentals).
An example of a proper armbar from guard (jasculs, a member here):
- Lack of hip control when standing means you won't finish it.
- Crossing his feet when laying back relieves pressure on the hip and allows the opponent to escape
- Lays flat on his back to finish. This limits movement and will actually prevent finishing the technique
* Again, missing VERY basic fundamentals which are required to apply and finish the technique.
Example of a good achilles/straight footlock (Keith Owen):
- Again, crossing his legs relieves pressure on his opponent's hip, facilitating escape.
- Suggestion of using your hands to "turn his foot" the way he is suggesting is in no way a high- or medium-percentage technique.
- Attacking the bottom leg is MUCH more difficult than attacking the top leg.
- The heel hook will not "snap (the) kneecap". It attacks the cruciate ligaments in the knee.
- Flexion on the ankle is not high enough to "break the ankle". It does not attack the ankle.
- The finishing motion of the heel hook is not "pull".
* Velez does not even know what part of the body the heel hook attacks. This is described the very first time that ANYBODY is taught the heel hook so that their partners know where to focus their attention to tap out safely. The heel hook is a VERY dangerous technique to train if trained improperly, as it is done in this video.
An example of a good heel hook (Again, Keith Owen):
VERY basic fundamentals are missing in all of the above videos. I wasn't looking for "perfection", but rather trying to make sure that all of the basic concepts were all there.
They were not.
I am not nit-picking. I intentionally overlooked numerous little items to try to see the big picture in every video.
Also, there is NO WAY that to explain away the lack of fundamentals even if you say "well, I was doing combat BJJ or street BJJ". If you have the word "BJJ" or "Jiu Jitsu" in the system's title, the fundamentals are still the same. After all, it is the fundamentals which define an art and expectations of those ranked in the art. Using the term "BJJ" or "Jiu Jitsu" in the art's title implies the same fundamentals.
Israel Velez does not demonstrate even a basic understanding of fundamentals in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and is in NO WAY close to having a Black Belt in BJJ. His skill is more that of a 3-4 month White at most.
Let's put it in the proper perspective. You can't really judge fighting skill from a video like the ones above. All you can do is make an assumption of the skill. This is a completely different bear. This is an INSTRUCTIONAL video designed to teach people techniques. You can judge the skill or lack thereof of the techniques and applications through the video.
Last edited by It is Fake; 10/18/2011 3:58pm at .
this is Pete Solomon, with my one and only post, ,,I have never claimed EPAK rank , although Dragon kenpo , home study or not , is thru Ed huchison, who trained under jay T will, who in turn trained in AK ,, I called my humble little system a "kenpo" system as it utilizes mostly hand techniques , (fist law) sorry if this pisses anyone off , not intended , this week both my sites where hacked and i lost all my videos and my personal website , i only pray it a coincidence that you guys were looking into me , I have hurt no-one , teach small kids in my area and donot claim to be something i am not , you guys have a great day
Thanks for posting.
Originally Posted by peteSolomon
The real coincidence is that when someone contacted you respectfully, all of your videos and website were SUDDENLY HACKED and disappeared. The bigger coincidence is that any proof we could use is now gone. The implication that people investigating you would ruin the source of your claims is blatantly stupid on your part.
Nothing happened for years until the little pay for play ranking scheme was starting to be connected.
Try harder at conspiracy theories and allegations thank you.
Originally Posted by peteSolomon
You can use Google's Cache of your web site to rebuild it:
If you hover over each link, and click on the double arrow that appears to the right, you can then click on "Cached" to retrieve the text of your page and rebuild the site.
Don't worry. All of the text you put on your site is there. Just copy/paste it.
Here are screenshots for your reference:
Main Page: http://i.imgur.com/T1PQp.png
Belt Ranking (with your ranks): http://i.imgur.com/SdifH.png
Contact Us / DVDs: http://i.imgur.com/wo9mg.png
Hizoku Kenpo Karate: http://i.imgur.com/SGNjh.png and http://i.imgur.com/Zbief.png
Hizoku Kenpo Karate Black Belts: http://i.imgur.com/zeMdl.png
Survival Solutions: http://i.imgur.com/rTp6d.png
Don't worry. We are also here to help.
(Why is there a Submissions 101 banner at the bottom of one page, and why are there a bunch of 'familiar' names in your black belt and bio list?)
Last edited by It is Fake; 10/18/2011 6:47pm at .
Reason: Added better picture links by request.
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO