Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/16/2011 9:32pm

supporting member
     Style: Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Grossly under-prepared fighters

Sometimes a person enters the ring when he has no business being there. I'm not talking about fighters who are simply overmatched, but people who have little training that's actually relevant to fighting. Fred Ettish is a well-known example:

http://mmatrainingworkoutsonline.com...s-fred-ettish/

In this thread you will post videos of untrained marks either getting mauled by professional fighters or struggling to muster the strength to defeat someone equally inept. I'll get the ball rolling:

This is a young Ben Rothwell beating who appears to Andy Milonakis. Jeremy Horn is referee.

Man tits + Red Sweats = The pinnacle of MMA fashion

This is a fight between a professional wrestler and an amateur boxer. Although they come from different backgrounds, they do have one thing in common in that they don't know how to fight on the ground.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/16/2011 9:38pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Man, twenty years down the road and it is still Fred Ettish, not Teila Tuli, not the Texas ninja who was crushed by Patrick Smith, not Dos Caras Jr. (who had his first fight against a prime Mirko Filpovic, while wearing his Lucha mask) who is the standard for terrible performances in MMA.

It's even sadder because Fred saw the light after his fight, became a respectable coach/trainer under Pat Miletech, and has managed to win at least one professional fight since then.

http://youtu.be/sVL8jdKDXAQ
    Last edited by Vince Tortelli; 10/16/2011 9:43pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/16/2011 9:43pm

Style: Karate-knockdown, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have no videos, but I get to hear about the way to underprepared fighters all of the time in BJJ class. One of the purple belts is a referee for many of the local MMA events and he has given us some crazy stories about guys getting in the ring with 2-3 months of total training time. He has said that almost all of them get mauled in the first minute of the fight.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/16/2011 9:48pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vince Tortelli View Post
    Man, twenty years down the road and it is still Fred Ettish, not Teila Tuli, not the Texas ninja who was crushed by Patrick Smith, not Dos Caras Jr. (who had his first fight against a prime Mirko Filpovic, while wearing his Lucha mask) who is the standard for terrible performances in MMA.
    It's Ettish's karate background that made him the go-to example of early UFC guys who got thrashed. He was kind of the sacrificial lamb for traditional martial arts.

By the way, Dos Caras Jr. actually made his debut against Kengo Watanabe, and he won that fight by breaking his arm with a belly-to-belly suplex. Caras had a solid Greco-Roman background and trained with Marco Ruas. He wasn't unprepared for MMA in general, just greatly overmatched by Cro Cop.

It's even sadder because afterwards Fred saw the light after his fight, became a respectable coach/trainer under Pat Miletech, and has managed to win at least one professional fight since then.
    One of the best comebacks in MMA, and I mean that without sarcasm. Ettish must have felt a huge weight come off of him after all those years.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/16/2011 9:55pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Huh. I must have misheard Bas and Quadros during the video...or perhaps they said it was his first fight in PRIDE? I do remember it was stated he took the fight on three weeks notice, one begins to wonder if he'd angered his management/coach around the time they were offered that fight.

There was an "MMA event" that took place at a cage in a guy's garage way out in the sticks of Mississippi. A friend of mine has the entire thing on video, but he refuses to allow me to copy and distribute it, which is a shame because the world needs to see these videos.

Highlights include a fifty year old man wearing blue jean shorts and 14 oz boxing gloves defeating an 18 year old in football pants due to the younger guy gassing out, and a Tae Kwon Do practicioner missing a flying side kick and getting grabbed into a rear naked choke as he flew past the other guy.

Post Script:
    Found the video of Dos Caras's first fight! The finish is pretty nasty looking...the other guy tries to post his arm out and the combined weight of both fighters lands on it.
    Last edited by Vince Tortelli; 10/16/2011 9:59pm at .

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/16/2011 9:58pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Huh. I must have misheard Bas and Quadros during the video...or perhaps they said it was his first fight in PRIDE? I do remember it was stated he took the fight on three weeks notice, one begins to wonder if he'd angered his management/coach around the time they were offered that fight.

There was an "MMA event" that took place at a cage in a guy's garage way out in the sticks of Mississippi. A friend of mine has the entire thing on video, but he refuses to allow me to copy and distribute it, which is a shame because the world needs to see these videos.

Highlights include a fifty year old man wearing blue jean shorts and 14 oz boxing gloves defeating an 18 year old in football pants due to the younger guy gassing out, and a Tae Kwon Do practicioner missing a flying side kick and getting grabbed into a rear naked choke as he flew past the other guy.
    Even though you don't have the video, you did remind me of another MMA event that took place without a venue:

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/16/2011 10:01pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Your Youtubeness (Youtuboka? Youtubism? You Kwon Tube?) is better than mine. For that, I salute you.

Re: Second video:
    The fool! Didn't he realize that any time you fight a judo person, you need to be stripped to the waist?

And at least they saved the picture frame.
    Last edited by Vince Tortelli; 10/16/2011 10:05pm at .

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/16/2011 10:13pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

A fight between Taekwondo stylist Leonard Basso (Who would later lose to one Wayne Fisher via groin strikes) and bouncer Robert Kaialua (Who would later be arrested for murder and racketeering).

Posted On:
    10/16/2011 10:21pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just in case anyone reading the thread was raised by wolves and this is their first ever excursion onto the intarwebs

Never noticed this before but I think Travis has a limp as he's walking to the cage.

Posted On:
    10/16/2011 10:25pm

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

And that's how the governor of Mississippi is elected!
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast