Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/16/2011 2:46pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: NinBuKai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Stronglifts 5x5 3.5 Days?

Hey everyone. I know, I know noobs aren't supposed to even think about modifying basic lifting programs, but as Medhi addressed almost every other possible modification in his report but this one I figured it might warrant discussion.

I would like to work-out and rest 3.5 days a week, as opposed to the traditional 3 day work-out, rest for 4. Would that work for someone with four months of gym experience prior to starting the program or is the extra day of rest needed for complete CNS recovery?

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    10/16/2011 3:13pm

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Leave the programme alone until you reach a plateau.
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.

Posted On:
    10/16/2011 5:24pm

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PerseusStoned View Post
    Hey everyone. I know, I know noobs aren't supposed to even think about modifying basic lifting programs, but as Medhi addressed almost every other possible modification in his report but this one I figured it might warrant discussion.

I would like to work-out and rest 3.5 days a week, as opposed to the traditional 3 day work-out, rest for 4. Would that work for someone with four months of gym experience prior to starting the program or is the extra day of rest needed for complete CNS recovery?
    I'm not sure what you're saying can you explain more? Are you saying you want to lift the full three days as the program outlines then do half of a workout? How do you workout and rest 3.5 days?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/16/2011 5:46pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jspeedy View Post
    I'm not sure what you're saying can you explain more? Are you saying you want to lift the full three days as the program outlines then do half of a workout? How do you workout and rest 3.5 days?
    You're right, sorry should have been way more specific. I would like explore alternating my rest and workout days continuously. This is a result of being able to work-out freely and not on scheduled days.

Traditionally Stronglifts is performed Monday, Wednesday, Friday. An example two weeks of what I am talking about would go:
    Monday - workout
    Tuesday - rest
    Wednesday - workout
    Thursday - rest
    Friday - workout
    Saturday - rest
    Sunday - workout
    Monday - rest
    Tuesday - workout
    etc.

Administrator

Posted On:
    10/16/2011 5:53pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why.?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/23/2011 10:00am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Why.?
    To try to get results faster, but based on Cullion's response and further research I'm going with the 2 days of rest are necessary to learn to "walk".

Posted On:
    10/23/2011 11:43am

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Your plan will make you progress faster for a short period of time. Your plan will also make you stall and get stuck faster, and at lower weights, than if you didn't meddle with the program.

Normal recovery between workouts is 1 day, but the once-weekly 2-day recovery period is very important as well. When you're adding weight each workout, you rarely *fully* recover between workouts--you're just able to lift more anyway. The 2-day recovery is crucial for getting a more complete recovery.

Remember: you don't build muscle by lifting weights. You build muscle by sleeping and eating and taking it easy after lifting weights. If you neglect recovery and don't get sufficient rest, you will stop getting bigger and stronger.

Don't get greedy. If you feel you won't be getting enough work in the beginning, do Rippetoe's 3x5 instead, because it starts at higher weights than Mehdi's 5x5.
    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates