Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/17/2011 4:11pm

Style: Western Boxing, Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I understand why people like HWs for the same reason I understand they like homerun hitters in baseball. Just like some fans only care about baseball because they want to see a ball hit out of the park, some fans only care for that one punch knockout.

But just as there's more to baseball than homerun hitters, there's more to boxing than heavyweights. I can appreciate the Nishiokas of the world, just as I can appreciate the Ichiros.

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    10/17/2011 5:55pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Boxing.MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicpoet View Post
    I understand why people like HWs for the same reason I understand they like homerun hitters in baseball. Just like some fans only care about baseball because they want to see a ball hit out of the park, some fans only care for that one punch knockout.

But just as there's more to baseball than homerun hitters, there's more to boxing than heavyweights. I can appreciate the Nishiokas of the world, just as I can appreciate the Ichiros.
    In fairness, there are plenty of knockouts in the lower divisions. Middleweights and Welterweights have a particularly interesting mix of speed and power which makes them so appealing.. People just need to have it shoved down their throats before they start to appreciate it.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". - Cus D'Amato
    Spoiler:

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/17/2011 6:51pm

supporting member
     Style: Short Fist Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In defense of Lennox Lewis - I wasn't his biggest fan and he did have a bit of a suspect chin. However, you can't ignore the fact that he was about as technically sound a boxer as you can get..he had that awesome reach and even his jabs looked like they would knock the average boxer into next week.
    I had a chance to get his autograph too..years before he became champ I saw him out shopping at Farview Mall with his gf in Kitchener, Ontario ( that's where he grew up and trained, its the city where I was born) about three or four days before X- Mas.
    Instead I just kind of stared at him like a dummy.
    I was one of the first people in the mall to recognize him and an hour later he got swarmed in the food court, he spent a while signing autographs for people.
    He is one HUGE man..let me tell you.
    " If one wants to have a friend one must also want to wage war for him: and to wage war one must be capable of being an enemy." - Fr. Nietzsche 'On The Friend' Thus Spake Zarathustra

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/17/2011 8:24pm

Style: Issh"i"nryu fixed....

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/17/2011 8:28pm

Style: Western Boxing, Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Super8astard View Post
    Okay, you have to explain this allusion to me.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/17/2011 9:33pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Okay, you have to explain this allusion to me.
    **** baseball

Posted On:
    10/18/2011 2:55pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Super8astard View Post
    **** baseball
    Oh, that's what it means. Hmm. Well in the UK it's called Rounders and is only played - occasionally - in primary school when the teacher decides to take everyone outside on a sunny day. It's played mixed sex.

When you start Secondary School - from 11 years to 18 years (max), it's only played in Girls Schools.

Thought you'd want to know that...: )

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/18/2011 3:08pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Hardon View Post
    Oh, that's what it means. Hmm. Well in the UK it's called Rounders and is only played - occasionally - in primary school when the teacher decides to take everyone outside on a sunny day. It's played mixed sex.

When you start Secondary School - from 11 years to 18 years (max), it's only played in Girls Schools.

Thought you'd want to know that...: )
    Rounders are card players here.

That little story made me lol.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/18/2011 3:39pm

Style: Quanfa

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I'm not sure about the knock out appeal of HW boxing. I guess even now I can find real heavyweight power exciting, in boxing or MMAA.

I know when I was a kid and I used to watch boxing with my dad, the HW division held more appeal for me because it seemed somehow more elite. In a real fight, my infant mind reasoned, the greatest HW fighter was the greatest fighter of all... he could crush the littler guys. Admittedly, this was twenty something years ago, when the HW division was set on fire by Tyson, and you had Hollyfield, Mercer, Bowe et al. So HW boxing was a bit livelier than it is right now.

Hence, I thought that HW was the only division worth watching, because I mistakenly thought boxing was 'just' fighting, and that the only goal was to be the worlds best fighter.

I think amongst casual fight fans this kind of mentality might persist.

Posted On:
    10/19/2011 2:16pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, if you think back, John L. Sullivan used to walk into Bars and declaim "I can lick any bum in the house". He meant it.

It's a bit like being the best fighter in school except it's the World. "The Richest Prize in Sport" is another title - although not often heard these days. The Great Reg Gutteridge (UK boxer commentator) used the term and it was common currency in the Boxing Press or Sports pages of the tabloid/Broadsheet newspapers.

In common parlance, most people would think of the World HW Champ as the best fighter in the World. Wrestling - leaving aside Gene LeBell v Milo Savage in the early 1960s - was viewed mainly as Entertainment. Particularly for women - who seem to love watching sweating men assault each other. In truth, leaving aside the 'agreements' most wrestlers would be severly hurting the average bloke. Mock them at your peril.

The Japanese arts, say, Karate + Judo, had mystique but few well known exponents. Karate only got going in the UK in the 1960s, whereas Judo had a much better pedigree following the founding of The Budokwai under Gunji Koizumi. Yet is was a niche art.

Boxing tends to be summed up as "As go the HWs, so goes boxing". In other words, HWs are very much in the Shop Window, and that is how you draw in the customers into the shop to look at the 'smaller' models.

To finish, most people are now aware of Ali v Inoki (I saw it at the time on UK TV - God it was boring) and Ali was also featured in a TV special; over here, Ali has been very popular for years. Anyway, he was interviewed by Dickie Davies and Ali said that he was looking at fighting a Karate guy but the stipulation was that he would have to wear boxing gloves (in a manner of speaking) on his feet. Ali commented, "I will eat him up". He meant it too - well, he was never short of Confidence. The interview took place after he'd KO'd Big George but before The Thrilla in Manila.

Cheers
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast