Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/16/2011 1:42pm

supporting member
     Style: Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The sooner it happens, the better. Or else when the Klitschko brothers are gone the HW division will resemble the mess it was during the Witherspoon/Holmes/Berbick era.
    Ah. The Alphabet Soup Era. Don't forget about Tate, Weaver, Coetzie, Dokes, Tubbs, Page, Thomas, Smith, and Spinks.

Knock-off Cthulhu

Posted On:
    10/16/2011 2:01pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by OZZ View Post
    When I think of Fin athletes, I think of hockey players, skiiers, strongman competitors.
    What's the pro circuit for boxing like over there ? Are there fights in cities like Helsinki a few times a year or are pro fights more localized to areas where there is significant interest ..so-called 'boxing towns' , like we have here ?
    I don't know much about the boxing scene unfortunately. I know though that before and after Tony Halme (Guy who was Couture's first MMA opponent, Pro razzler Ludwig Borga and generally famous IRL troll in Finland) garnering some attention to Finnish boxing scene in the late 1990s by fighting for Finnish HW title there was basically no mention of the pro scene anywhere. Before him the last notable boxer was probably Tarmo Uusivirta, who fought mainly in the 80s.

Only after Amin Asikainen made it to top of the European Circuit a few years later we started seeing bigger boxing nights in Finland in 2006. But if it wasn't for Helenius (and the efforts of Asikainen's promoter, Pekka Mäki) Finnish boxing scene would have gone underground again. I wouldn't be surprised if the total number of pro boxers in Finland is counted in tens.

As for boxing cities I have a hunch that besides Helsinki most pro boxing events are held in smaller cities like Porvoo and Pori, so I guess we have boxing towns too. Boxing's popularity seems to be very much determined by where you can actually have quality training in it.

Still, the fact is that the MMA scene is way more healthier than boxing scene around here. We have two big orgs (Fight Festival & The Cage) doing regular quality events drawing a few thousand attendees at least 2-3 times a year and at least four real prospects for the big shows (Anton Kuivanen, Janne Tulirinta, Marcus Vänttinen and Tomi Niinimäki, in case someone is interested). Biggest boxing events are way bigger and get around 10k audiences, but they are rare. Practically it means that earlier Asikainen and now Helenius has to fight in Finland.

EDIT: Seems that the last olympic medalist, Kjäll had a pretty good pro career through the 1990s too (23-1-0 18KO) but I don't remember hearing anything about him at all in the news.
    Last edited by hpr; 10/16/2011 2:11pm at .
    Curiosity killed the cat. But damn it had a blast.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/16/2011 2:35pm

Style: taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    At this point you really have to look at the prospects for the future of boxing. Bleacher report recently did an article on this same topic and took a look at a lot of future contenders.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/8...tschkos-retire

Basically if the Klitschkos retire Eddie Chambers would problably be the first guy to take their
    spot but wouldn't keep for long problably dropping it to Helenius. Of the other prospects out there you basically have two types the big tall fighter like Tyson Fury and Alexander Dimitrenkoaka (poor man's Klitschko) these guys have size but don't have much else. Then there are the unproven talents America's hope Deontay Wilder who looks impressive, but hasnt really fought anyone of note,

and Denis Boytsov who people have called the Russian Mike Tyson because of his style and power, but like wilder he hasn't fought anyone who matter and is still untested.

All in all the future of boxing is still unsure ,but there is hope.

Posted On:
    10/16/2011 3:58pm

Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It will probably be another East European. The contenders all seem to be ex-USSR these days. There's no one to replace the Klitschkos. I genuinely thought Haye would make an impression if not shock Vlad the Impaler but, Christ, was I wrong. I'm now glad David has Retired as he would no longer be a credible opponent for either brother, although the UK rags are mentioning a possible un-Retirement next year to take on Vitali. Why? The performance does not allow for another crack albeit at Vitali.

OZZ is right. Switch your attention on the lighter divisions. If you can see a re-run of Cleverly v Bellew, you'll certainly be impressed. There's life outside of the HWs.

(Davey Moore. The Springfield Rifleman, IIRC. Not to be confused with his LMW name sake who lost to Roberto Duran.)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/17/2011 1:23am

Style: Issh"i"nryu fixed....

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Tyson Fury huh....

The youngsters that should be being groomed to take over HW boxing in the future are growning up mma fans. The fact that Brock Lesnar can come in with no experience and win and defend the HW crown is more appealing than years of building and fighting tune-ups and practice fighters and the small chance of becomming a prize fighter in boxing is disheartening.

Maybe there will be some new stars in HW boxing, but the days of glory for the HW division ended with Lennox Lewis taking the crown. He was a great champion for sure, but no one wants to watch him jab for 12 rounds. The Klitschko's got this **** on lockdown, and could very well stay on top into their 50s. IF something is going to happen, it won't be soon, with or without the K bros.

On hiatus

Posted On:
    10/17/2011 7:18am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Super8astard View Post
    Maybe there will be some new stars in HW boxing, but the days of glory for the HW division ended with Lennox Lewis taking the crown. He was a great champion for sure...
    No, he was ****.

(tab) Forum > Forum Actions > General Settings > in Thread Display Options > Number of Posts to Show Per Page: 40

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/17/2011 10:13am

supporting member
     Style: Short Fist Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    All in all the future of boxing is still unsure ,but there is hope.
    Boxing is not defined by the HW division - its just that the casual fans mainly flock to it and when a glamorous champ comes along - all of a sudden boxing is popular again.
    You talk to almost any trainer at any gym in any Boxing town and they will tell you Boxing is alive and well.
    Contrary to what people think - MMA has actually helped Boxing.

Here's a good article that summarizes a lot of my own views.
    http://ezinearticles.com/?Boxing-Ver...est!&id=686926
    Last edited by OZZ; 10/17/2011 10:29am at .
    " If one wants to have a friend one must also want to wage war for him: and to wage war one must be capable of being an enemy." - Fr. Nietzsche 'On The Friend' Thus Spake Zarathustra

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/17/2011 10:35am

Style: Issh"i"nryu fixed....

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tranquil Suit View Post
    No, he was ****.
    lol, I agree, but that doesn't diminish his accomplishments in the eyes of the boxing world.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/17/2011 2:11pm

Style: Western Boxing, Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Got to be honest. I hate HW boxing. It's slow, it's plodding -- and has basically been since time immemorial. Sure, there's a few eras that contain a few gems, but apart from the early 70s and 90s, HWs have been nothing to write home about.

That said, the currently era has been particularly abysmal -- and would be worse if it weren't for the Klitschkos. The Klitschkos are ATGs who would probably fare well in an era of boxing. The only reason why they're not regarded right now as living legends is because of the competition they've faced.

As far as HWs are concerned, there's nothing to see for the next two years -- so for the most part, don't bother with them.

That said, here's the top prospects in the HW division:

• Robert Helenius
    • Tyson Fury
    • Seth Mitchell
    • Mike Perez
    • Joe Hanks

There's a few wild cards in the mix like Amir Mansour, but these are the fellows who have caught my eye.

Posted On:
    10/17/2011 2:35pm

Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I enjoy watching Tyson Fury, he's Personable and he gives it a go. He also gets Chinned but has yet to be floored, so he knows how to survive. He's also far from the finished article but in 2 years as he matures, we'll know more.

I saw David Price in the seats at Cleverly v Bellew. He's an Olympic Bronze medallist and there is some, er, "competitive feeling' between him and Fury. Price is also 6ft 9ins - about the same as Fury. It certainly seems odd to have such tall blokes competing so the circus is not too far away.

In the build-up to Vlad v Haye, some boxing commentators were calling Haye "a small HW". Good Lord. The height and damn near the weight of Ali...so, no, he had the tools but wasn't good enough.

Back to Fury. His Dad is a former pro HW and 6ft 4ins. He's also of Irish Traveller stock and a Bare-Knuckle fighter. Which rather puts things into perspective. He did not win a pro title...and Tyson may not either however thanks to TV/DVD etc, he will not likely develop into the 'lost legendary, Giant, Fighter of Renown. 'Cos we can see him and assess his performance.

Anyway, there's still plenty to watch outside of the HWs. What is telling is that the extraordinary lock that US fighters had on the World Title...have gone. Quite sad really owing to their Hunger, Skill, Athleticism which is no longer to be seen.

Perhaps we should now reassess Tony TNT Tubbs, as most seeming to modelling their Physiques on his but without his hand speed, combinations and skill.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast