Administrator

Posted On:
    11/24/2011 10:06am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hunggar_student View Post
    This from my original post, complete with the pre coffee typo on mantis.

"The Tiger and Crane are the two most used animals in the system still today, but No, I take nothing away from the other 3. (4 if we count the mantus latter added to the system.)"

Tiger and Crane two, other three (Leopard, Snake, Dragon) being majors and the bong bou form being the mantis as some I have trained with count it as a major contribution to the system.
    See this ^^^? If you posed that with your response then the snide comment below would be unnecessary.
    Didn't realize it was so complicated?
    It is when it takes you a few posts to actually answer the question.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/24/2011 10:21am

Style: Hung Gar / Choy Li Fut

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChenPengFi View Post
    Huh, i'll admit i missed that Crane reference.
    That said, the form you refer to is also called "Monkey Mantis" so are we now at 7?
    I've never heard of that form being referred to as a "major contribution" either.
    In fact we called all of those shorter forms, Sam Ying etc. "baby sets".
    Just in scale, GGFFK is atround 4-5 times as long, as are the rest of the pillar sets.
    So is it with the other actual major contributions to the BSK lineage, ie Sup Ji Kau Dah etc.

In agreement that the actual "Major" contributions as I see it is the 4 pillars and lau gar (yes, I see lau gar to be a per-requisite to Kung Gi, some do not agree, that is ok, ggffk was the first set and I respect that)

Notice I said some I have trained with count it major. My Sifu taught things from Hung, clf, even chow gar but Hung Gar was his first love. The clf come from Sigung ,not sure where he got the chow from but it could account for his use of mantis more than other hung schools.

In addition to five majors and mantis yes, he referenced monkey, eagle, Lion and bear (though lion and bear were very close in application) and none of these last 4 were taught with any frequency and never a complete form, only a stray technique from time to time.

Where he got these I have no idea but guess it doesn't really matter at this point.

Your location says Hawai, I take it you train at one of the bsk schools there?
    Last edited by hunggar_student; 11/24/2011 10:26am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/24/2011 10:32am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    See this ^^^? If you posed that with your response then the snide comment below would be unnecessary.

It is when it takes you a few posts to actually answer the question.
    Hmmmmmmm, Tiger, Crane, Other three (four if ya count mantis) that Was in my original post. Thought it was self explanatory, my bad.

Posted On:
    11/24/2011 10:33am

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My CMA training has taken a backseat to BJJ for the time being, but i trained for years at the Kahalu'u branch (now closed).
    Our particular school also incorporated Chan family CLF.
    The Sifu who i spent the most time with now lives in LA and teaches with Sigung Buck.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/24/2011 10:54am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cool.
    The guy I am working out with now is a cage fighter who wants to bring Hung Ga forms into the training, along with a BJJ instructor. So far he is taking technique from a couple of hung forms and one clf and it looks like the bjj can be practiced along with hung, will be fun to see how it all fits together.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/03/2011 9:12am

Style: Hung Ga Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    sounds awesome. I'd like to see how he uses that HG in his fights.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456