Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    11/22/2011 11:22am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Same school. The full lineage is Lam Sai Wing - > Lam Cho -> Lam Chun -> Pavel Macek.

http://www.lghk.org/

I see many of the standard hung ga fist,kick and takedown techniques in one form or another. I don't see any of "the d34dly" elbow snapping, tiger claw style things, but of course not this is friendly stuff.

Maybe you just sparred differently?

Also, note that the first video is actually Hung Kuen sparring under a San Da/MMA ruleset, whereas the second is a straight up Hung technique sparring class ( I don't speak Czech but I know what "teknik teknik teknik!" means.)

How SHOULD it look different in your opinion?...I'm genuinely curious, because this is (somewhat) how I would normally spar as well.
    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 11/22/2011 11:34am at .

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    11/22/2011 11:44am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hunggar_student View Post
    Admitting that I could not force myself to watch the entire vid, I have to say this is not Hung Ga and would take a stretch to call it Kung Fu of any kind.
    Care to post any of your hung ga sparring sessions? It'd really help your case more than anything else.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/22/2011 12:16pm

Style: Hung Gar / Choy Li Fut

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I guess the rule set would account for some of what I saw, or did not see. To answer the vid question first, No vid's of me at this point unless others have them but starting training again with a friend shortly and can fix that (Yes, I have been lazy for a while)

Back to the subject at hand, I would say that yes, we sparred differently.
    Maybe because we could not afford the equipment, maybe just because Sifu was a hard ass but yes, we used the tiger techniques (which are the heart of the hung system), No we did not intentionally break bones, but we did push the limits at times.

We tried not to go to the ground, but it still happened at times. I suppose things may have just changed that much, but I still feel old ways are the best. The times I am referring to are in mid 80's to mid 90's.

Present day I have a training partner (though not hung ga) who has trained the same way and can give me all I want and then some so looking to return to the former level of training rather quickly.

More info than needed I understand but may explain (if you remember 80's training from most any tma) why things look different to me.

Have a good one.

Posted On:
    11/22/2011 12:32pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I trained a little with a hung gar guy where they sparred without any safety gear and would try to apply all sorts of kung fu techniques. My impression was that they were overly-worried about contact and would apologize when something landed with a fairly low amount of power, and was quite shaken when I'd do a leg or body kick with what I considered medium to light power. I'd hazard a guess that this is somewhat common in places that spar without any gear (systema was like that). So, when I see someone talking up how real their kung fu is because they don't wear gear, I'm skeptical.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/22/2011 12:46pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They should have been hitting the body with heavy contact, hard leg kicks should have been practiced if for no other reason to help the receiver with stance stability.

Also, we did not use closed fist to the head, face or throat for obvious reasons. Other than that we beat the hell out of each other, with those of greater ability using control as to not damage too badly the younger students (younger to MA that is)

Of course you do not want to try to kill someone in training, but there are ways to train and spar hard for most techniques, and forms practice is a must for other aspects.

Bottom line, if you handled your hung gar friend with ease, they should have taken a lesson and stepped up their own training.

Of course, this is all just my opinion.

Posted On:
    11/22/2011 12:57pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Are you one of Sifu Hildreth's pupils, hunggar_student?

I'm in agreement with Permalost.
    Hard sparring needs protective gear to be done with any frequency.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/22/2011 1:39pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No on the Hildreth question, My Sifu was Keith Cullors of Sapulpa which would make Sifu Hildreth my Si-Bak (I think) as Ray's original instructor in hung fist was also one of Keith's instructors.

On the gear, I am learning that lesson from my new partner, a mma fighter but I still feel that we should train as real as we can, which means a good balance of forms and sparring tempered with proper conditioning which yes, calls for loosing the pads and learning when to control to what extent.

Posted On:
    11/22/2011 1:52pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hunggar_student View Post
    No on the Hildreth question, My Sifu was Keith Cullors of Sapulpa which would make Sifu Hildreth my Si-Bak (I think) as Ray's original instructor in hung fist was also one of Keith's instructors.
    Welcome, poke around and read a lot.
    There's tons of good info available here.
    Best to have an empty cup.

On the gear, I am learning that lesson from my new partner, a mma fighter but I still feel that we should train as real as we can, which means a good balance of forms and sparring tempered with proper conditioning which yes, calls for loosing the pads and learning when to control to what extent.
    There are threads here that deal with what you are referring to, in detail.
    One can still achieve conditioning with pads and protective gear, in fact the increased amount of time spent doing hard training would likely outweigh any gains achieved without the gear.

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    11/22/2011 4:40pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It should makes sense that you as you add protective gear, you can train techniques harder (and a wider range more alive) than without it.

If you have no money for safety gear and don't want to go full contact without it, I can see you still being able to train but not past a certain level. And that may be fine with you personally, who knows.

I mean, I have two mouthguards in case a sparring partner and I want to throw punches full speed at each other's head. They are not expensive, being little blobs of plastic, but they make a huge difference in what techniques you are comfortable using in sparring...imho.

I would not normally try to connect with a full speed punch, gloved or not, if I knew my partner wasn't wearing tooth protection. I might come really close but as you add the gear you don't have to hold yourself back so much.

Posted On:
    11/22/2011 5:39pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    I mean, I have two mouthguards in case a sparring partner and I want to throw punches full speed at each other's head.
    Gross!
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast