Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/27/2004 2:32am

Style: Moores Shou Shu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Cung Le on ESPN2 Tonight Mar 26th 04

anyone watch this on ESPN2

I was truly disappointed, Cung Le didnt fight the guy, all he did was try and win by throws. he didnt fight the guy toe to toe every time the Pitbull went to engage Cung Le he went for the takedown (points) instead of trying to win the fight like everyone else does.

ESPN2 showed the final round of the carter williams fight (modesto native) instead of the final round of the cung le bout.

If you saw the fight what are your thoughts.

Salute,

Posted On:
    3/27/2004 3:54am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    KFDW was too busy furiously masturbating to Cung to actually comment.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/27/2004 4:00am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    to funny

seriously though, even if you like the guy cant you see a flaw in the fact that he threw maybe 10 punches and 5 kicks in 3 rounds. there was one shot were pitbull would have connected with Cung's Jaw on a round house had he not pulled it because Cung sat on the mat by the ropes to place him in the down no hit position.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    3/27/2004 5:43am

supporting member
     Style: Choy Lay Fut

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Re: Cung Le on ESPN2 Tonight Mar 26th 04

Originally posted by BeastApprentice
    I was truly disappointed, Cung Le didnt fight the guy, all he did was try and win by throws. he didnt fight the guy toe to toe every time the Pitbull went to engage Cung Le he went for the takedown (points) instead of trying to win the fight like everyone else does.
    Yeah, damn Cung for working to his strengths and taking advantage of his opponents weakness.

Seriously, when throws are allowed in a sport, don't whinge when people competing in that sport actually use them to win. Who cares if Cung Le didn't fight toe to toe? Its san shou, not kickboxing.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/27/2004 11:17am

Style: Thai Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BeastApprentice, www.school.com, because according to your reasoning, if someone in Muay Thai clinches they are a wuss? Ok, so because the Gracies take the fight to the floor instead of standing up and getting knocked silly, they suck? So because Cung Le is fighting smart, you are dissapointed? I want to see you go toe to toe with the pitbull and come out with brain cells in tact.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/27/2004 11:47am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    actually i was expecting to see something totally different, never said anything about WUSS. As well i said I WAS DISSAPPOINTED Obviously the fans in attendence werent happy about the way the fight was going. after the 1st round everytime pitbull was tossed the crowd booed.

If you look at the statement it is my opinion and for the end of it i asked for your Thoughts. Now if you cant give your thoughts without bashing my own then sit down shut up and fall to the wayside.

RAAAAAAR! Fear the Tiger!

Posted On:
    3/27/2004 5:33pm

supporting member
     Style: Karate/Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BA didn't say he was a wuss. He said the fight was disappointing.

Is SanShou a striking art or a grapple/throwing art? To my knowledge it's supposed to be mainly a striking art...so it's not abnormal to expect striking to be dominant in a fight. Besides, it makes the fights more exciting...and if you want to cater to a viewing public, your fights have to be visually interesting.

Oh wait...going for wins based off points...basically that makes it a sport. Fun.

No wonder most SS guys get their ASSES handed to them by other arts. *snicker*
    Regards,
    CrimsonTiger

"Na'h, they should go to old school rules.
    One guy gets sword and sheild, the other gets a net and a trident.
    Lions eat christians between rounds." - Strong Machine

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/30/2004 4:39pm

Style: BJJ and MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The PRoblem is there are no San Shou fighters in K-1 for Cung Li to fight so they have him fight MT and kickboxers who don't actually train for Sanshou.

Let him fight K-1 rules.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    3/30/2004 5:02pm

supporting member
     Style: Punch & Kick

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Now now guys....no reason to go bashing on SS. It isn't the best striking art out of the kickboxing variants but the throws do change the game a lot. The guys in China did get in the ring yearly with Thai's and did well. Not many kickboxing variants can say that.

SS in general is not as toe to toe as MT. And it frustrated a lot of the MT guys to no end when the SS guys kept on running and when they got clinched, would throw. It is more point driven but they are thinking of changing that. Its not like the SS organization China isn't aware that their guys get knocked out in pure striking matches.

I didn't see the Cung Li fight. He normally is a crowd pleaser when he is dominant. Scissor throws and chucking people across the ring usually make the crowds happy. If they were booing him, then he probably was being all lame. It's easier to "cheat" in SS than MT. Unfortunate side of their scoring system. They need to address the lameness if they want to grow as a sport.
    Punches in bunches and kicks kicks kicks!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/01/2004 2:57am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He was a crowd pleaser up until the 3rd round of four, "doesnt K1 have the super fights 4 rnds". I think it was a special bout. it was actually pretty good till Cung Le got his bell rung and almost his head kicked off in the 2nd round. Pitbull hit him in the head against the ropes and went for a roundhouse to the side of the head while he was sinking against the ropes. Cung saw it coming and just dropped to the floor to cause a fall and the ref stepped in. after that round he kept his distance and just kept rushing him and going for the takedown. Looked really winded. after about the 3-4th takedown the crowd starting booing. then ESPN went to another bout within the same tournament. Carter williams(Modesto Ca) bout i believe it was.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast