Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/09/2013 1:50pm

Style: Out of Practice

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Hypothetically Speaking. . .

Okay. Let's flip the switches that turn on our imaginations for a moment, and pretend that we've all recently joined a local Kempo mcdojo and were accepted into their in-house instructor training program. In this program is another prospective instructor who has been there a few weeks longer than you have. Let's call him 'Rufus'.

When you first meet, the two of you sit down and talk; mostly about your respective martial arts experience. Rufus says he's been training for a few years now, and has actually competed in amateur MMA (though he doesn't say where/when/or with whom) but that he has a losing 4/7 record.

Flash forward to the present-day. The two of you have been working together on some sets of compliant Kempo drills for about 30 minutes when he stops you suddenly to critique the fighting stance which you drop into at the end of some of the drills. He goes on to tell you that you should hold your hands just below your chin, instead of closer to eye level, because otherwise everything you do will be telegraphed; particularly when you drop your hand before throwing a huge overhand right. (When he is displaying a correct fighting stance he has also got his elbows flared well above his waist.) This correction leads into a discussion of fighting style.

Rufus is a much bigger guy than you (you're 5'7" and 152lbs, he's 6'1" and 220+lbs), and advocates remaining disengaged while attempting to knock out his opponent with one hit; he tells you that throwing combinations and attempting to secure a dominant position in a clinch is unsafe, that it will pointlessly tire you out and could end up with you on the ground. At this point you decide to just shut your mouth and get back to practice.

About two hours later a young student and his mother walk in. He's scheduled for a lesson, and she was planning on hanging out and reading. Rufus is taking a short break from whatever he was doing so he sits down to talk with her. You were just getting your shoes on before heading home, but were present for the portion of the conversation where he describes to her how "all black-belts, kickboxers, and MMA fighters in Washington need to get their hands registered as deadly weapons." Again, you decide to keep your mouth shut and get out of there.

And so ends our little fantasy.

My question to you now is 'do you think I should talk to the school staff about this?'

He doesn't really seem like an awful person but these were just a few of the examples I've seen of this kind of behavior, and I'm starting to get the impression he's something less than honest. . . And I'm not sure if it warrants taking some kind of action or not.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    5/09/2013 2:42pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eudemic View Post
    My question to you now is 'do you think I should talk to the school staff about this?'
    Not if the school staff is where Rufus got his misinformation.

Extraordinarily Ordinary

Posted On:
    5/09/2013 5:00pm

supporting member
     Style: TKD, CMA & American Kenpo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eudemic View Post
    You were just getting your shoes on before heading home, but were present for the portion of the conversation where he describes to her how "all black-belts, kickboxers, and MMA fighters in Washington need to get their hands registered as deadly weapons." Again, you decide to keep your mouth shut and get out of there.
    Rufus is quite a tool--no, he's a complete bag of fucking tools. He probably won't ever 'get it' and Permalost may be correct about the misinformation.

You could have a little fun with him and ask him where he had to go to register his hands, what kind of forms he had to fill out and how much it costs--that's a nice way of calling bullshit on him/

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/09/2013 5:04pm

Style: FMA/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dude, lots of good clubs in Seattle. Check out some other ones.

Posted On:
    5/09/2013 5:06pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Keep them walking shoes on and head on over to
    http://www.budokanjudoseattle.com/dojo/
    instead

(Note I do not actually endorse the randomly selected Judo club over other Judo clubs in the area)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/09/2013 6:24pm

Style: FMA/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lots of good Judo, BJJ, and SAMBO in town of course. If you want to stick with striking, Keith over at Seattle University Kyokushin runs a really good program. I think Joseph is teaching Muay Thai over at Gracie Barra Ballard. Lots of other good options around town as well, just pick your flavor.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/09/2013 6:31pm

Style: Kickboxing , BJJ starter

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This guy Rufus sounds retarded and liar
    CHALLENGE HIM IN MORTAL KOMBAT [i know its combat but k sounds more hardcore]

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    5/09/2013 6:34pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Tell Rufus you're thinking about fighting MMA yourself, and ask him what the name of the MMA organization he fought in. Be polite but come up with as many specific questions as you can.

Unless he's dumb as a bag of rocks, he should get the hint.

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/09/2013 6:41pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd ask where he heard that, after their conversation was done and then correct him. Then I would do what Jnp suggested. Then I'd go talk to staff. If it came from higher up, I'd correct them in private and see their reactions. If it was anything like "stfu" or in that vein I'd be out of the door.

LOL@herpderp-greatschools-runaway. Good lord, answer his question.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/09/2013 6:44pm

Style: Escrima n00b

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Perhaps ask them if there's an informational pamphlet on hand-registering? Just in case you qualify and don't realise it.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast