Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Shogun of Long Island

Posted On:
    3/27/2004 1:40am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

how to use the uppercut

how do you guys use the uppercut? close range only or do you throw from a distance? do you go for body or head? what are the advantages/disadvantages of this punch?

Posted On:
    3/27/2004 1:48am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's a pretty close-range punch for me. Anything farther and I'm going to get hooked. An excellent technique for the clinch though. Pull down hard to make your opponent resist upward, let go of the clinch so their head rises up, then land it right under the chin!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/27/2004 5:56am

Style: Suave

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Usually from a combo, it's a telegraphed punch so you have to set it up with a combo. Maybe as a sucker punch or coming back from an evasion but outside that situation I can't see going right in for an uppercut?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/27/2004 6:06am

Style: American Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have only used uppercuts during boxing and now that I think about I have yet to throw an uppercut in any other situation. Its hard for me to add in an uppercut since I suck at ground fighting and I try to stay on my feets if I can help it keeping my distance.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/27/2004 6:24am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I like the one-two, lead hand uppercut when in close. I hardly ever use the rear hand uppercut, but I haven't been kickboxing for that long.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/27/2004 6:28am

Style: Suave

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good point Azteca, the uppercut commits you to close range fighting with the potential of locking up and getting to the ground depending on how your opponent reacts.
    I used to take my fights to the ground because the Judo throws I learned were designed that way. Now I try to take them standing, but I don't fight much now.
    Although I will say that Shou Shu, the style I study of kung fu, is all about close quarter strikes and the like. And I want to do some cross training in wing chun eventually, so I'd better get aquainted with close quarters fighting!
    But yeah, at the NoCal throwdown Omega owned my ass with some Sambo **** and it didn't even seem like he was trying. Judo's ground game didn't really prepare me for that. So I should probably look into Sambo, Jujitsu, or something.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/27/2004 7:10am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    what the hell? dont throw uppercuts cause you dont like grappling? for exactly the same reason i would say dont throw elbows or knees either. theyre close range and can be countered by grappling as well...

Seeker of Truth

Posted On:
    3/27/2004 2:12pm

supporting member
     Style: Five Animal Fighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Very rarely will I purposefully close range to throw and uppercut, but I still use it a lot. The uppercut, and elbows and knees, are valuable tools that can help keep you on your feet if you don't want to go to the ground.

I typically use the uppercut when someone is trying to tie up and clinch with me. I move back, off angle and bit, and hit them with it as they try to chase me.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/27/2004 2:41pm

Style: Modern Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If I use the uppercut it's after a failed cross to stop somebody from coming in; the body is already loaded up and the feet are already in place, and if I see them charge in after my cross it can usually stop them cold if you land it in the body. It doesn't cost you much time and you can follow it with a multitude of combinations.

Shogun of Long Island

Posted On:
    3/30/2004 1:53am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    do you guys find it hard to split the guard and to recover your guard from throwing the uppercut? and do you uppercut more to body or head?
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast