Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    10/12/2011 9:26pm

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Karim Mayfield vs the economics of boxing

A very interesting profile of contender Karim Mayfield, and how the star system of boxing works (or doesn't work).

Neighbors assume that an unblemished record, sponsorships, gigs sparring with champs like Shane Mosley and Manny Pacquiao, and a June appearance on ESPN's Friday Night Fights pummeling former champion Stevie Forbes translate into vast wealth — or at least financial security. "They don't know me," says Mayfield with a wan smile. "And they don't know boxing."

They don't know that while Mosley and Pacquiao command millions for each fight — Floyd Mayweather, Jr. was recently filmed literally setting money ablaze — the majority of boxers are outearned by crossing guards. Mayfield has pocketed more than $3,500 for a fight just twice, and has never fought more than three times in a year. The boxer's San Francisco roots provide him with a refuge, security, and support — but haven't furthered his career.

Read the rest here in the San Francisco Weekly:

http://www.sfweekly.com/2011-10-12/n...-joe-eskenazi/

I knew boxing was bad, but I was still surprised to read that more than half of the money made in pro boxing purses in the Nevada last year was earned by Floyd Mayweather.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/12/2011 9:53pm

Style: Yagyu Shinkage Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So maybe the UFC doesn't screw it's fighters as bad as the boxing fans suggest?

Posted On:
    10/12/2011 9:59pm

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I suspect a fuller comparison would require looking at not just the UFC, but the bush leagues of pro MMA as well.