Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/12/2011 9:02am

Style: MT/Ex-Judo NO SPRAWL?!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Long range hook

Hi.

How DO you throw a long range hook that hits the side of the jaw with your fist without gloves.

This thing never really bothered me until I saw Mike Zambidis.

1:18 and again at 3:30

Zambidis throws this long range hook and apparently boxers do too (often hitting the other guy's back).

I'm talking about the hook that hits with your "2nd knuckles" and it's done with a slapping motion.

I tried it on the heavy bag bare knuckle, and I felt awkward stress on my wrist, I'd like to know how this technique translates into bare knuckle situations.

Is it a glove only punch?
    Will I break my fingers?

I currently use a round punch/weird long range hook, palm AWAY from me, first two knuckles are the point of contact with my wrist bent upwards to me a little.
    I believe it's called a Russian hook?

Is THIS a good punch?

With this on the heavy bag, I feel stress on the middle part of my fore arm.

I would rather use the bottom part of my palm, but we train with gloves so I'll punch.

TL/DR how do I throw a long range hook without breaking something that's part of my body. No palm strikes.
    Last edited by iopyud; 10/12/2011 9:06am at .

Welterweight

Posted On:
    10/12/2011 10:11am

supporting member
     Style: belt and jacket wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    IMHO, those "slapping" hooks only work with a huge glove and wraps on. It definitely works a little differently with 4-7oz gloves or bare-fisted. I don't think they're useless, but you just can't throw them with the same abandon. Zambidis, however, also trains to throw these 23658 times a minute... Just watch his training videos. So he may be an exception, and I'm just a *****.

The Russian Hook you're talking about is also called the Casting Punch. I use those periodically during sparring with a good degree of success. They're really powerful, and if you throw them with your front hand (like a jab variation), they set up your power shots from the cross rather well.

Posted On:
    10/12/2011 10:19am

Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    slap.

Last edited by gregaquaman; 10/12/2011 10:30am at .

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    10/12/2011 2:31pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hit the makiwara until you can break faces with any part of your hand?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/14/2011 5:06am

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It says you do MT. Why don't you just ask your coach? He probably knows more about it than most of us, and he can actually demonstrate it and correct you in person.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/14/2011 8:01am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    @blackmonk, thanks man. I guess I'll just stick to the classic 90deg hook or the casting punch if I can't reach.

@Mannetosn, he told me to just do the casting punch/russian hook/inverted fist strike/"the weird arm swing punch."

Wish we used MMA gloves so I can slap people.

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    10/17/2011 6:04pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Boxing.MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The smart answer would be to get in range if you want to throw hooks.

Without gloves, long range 'thumbs up' hooks don't tend to injure you, but they will probably result in your finger knuckles getting 'skinned' if you throw them on a bag.

The 'casting' punch is an ok variation, but a hard jab will almost always be stronger and more direct.

Besides, you do MT; on average their boxing is appalling. Just go to a boxing gym until you learn to double jab and you'll cause people all sorts of troubles without resorting to swinging at long range.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". - Cus D'Amato
    Spoiler:

MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    10/17/2011 10:48pm

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I throw a long left hook a fair amount; it comes out like an off-center jab, and then twists in at the end of the punch. It doesn't hit as hard as a traditional hook, but it can be sneaky. I usually throw it as a follow up from a straight left, as a variant to the double jab.
    I like it a lot against southpaws who are shorter than me, and I'll kind of spam it along with outside leg kicks and traditional jabs while circling outside their lead hand.
    The fool thinks himself immortal,
    If he hold back from battle;
    But old age will grant him no truce,
    Even if spears spare him.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/22/2011 8:03am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mickey : Ah yes, I've been shadow boxing and learning the double jab since I'm on a break, I'll try that. I did try the "second knuckle slap hook" on the heavy bag, I can see it skinning my hand but I felt strange stress on my wrist, I'll probably just review it again.

MightClaw : Yes, I know that type of hook, I don't know if it's my height or anything but I seem to suck hard at it. It's prolly one of those techniques that's "not for me".