Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Top 2 or bottom 3 knuckles, and wrist snap?

I figure this post is great for noobietown; Not only will I refer to the bullshit of a Tai Chi instructor, I will also re-ask a commonly asked question. But there's also a question that I couldn't find a straight answer to, so here goes:

At my new job I was talking to a collegue, who told me he was a Tai Chi instructor. He explained that it's the slow-motion moves chinese people do in parks, but in that slowness you develop concentration, with which you gain great control over your body. It trains you for fast reactions and insane power. Also the circular motions will help you 'absorb' the opponents punches and bring them off balance, as you circle your punch into their face...

Anyways, I'm skeptical to bullshit, and I have been lurking these forums for a while now to know what's what. However, he's also a coworker, so I didn't go "thats bullshido!" in his face. Then came weird bragging about how he did a demonstration in prison, and pwnd some critical prisoners by punching them a couple of meters into a wall. I was enjoying this story, and tried not to laugh, but that is beside the point.

Then he explained to me how to punch:
    1. Form a fist, but with totally relaxed fingers and wrist.
    2. Punch straight
    3. Twist your wrist right before impact, as if pouring a cup of tea, so that the 2 big knuckles next to your thumb hit.

I assume this is all bullshit but want to verify. I searched the forums on knuckles/punches, for example:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/arch...32880-p-2.html
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/arch...hp/t-6990.html

The summary of these threads is that there's no consensus on using the big two (index, middle) or small 3 (middle, ring, pinky) knuckles. However, I couldn't find anything on the 'wrist snap'. I assume a 'wrist snap' in combination with loose wrist and knuckles will just get me a broken wrist.

Bullshido, please enlighten me.

Style
    FMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Whether the guy is legit or not depends on what he claims and what you're looking for. Some tai chi guys compete in push hands competitions does the instructor do this? If he teaches strikes does he use a heavy bag or pads? I've been to schools that claim to teach striking but rarely actually ever strike anything.

As for punches and which knuckles? In the past i've been taught to use the pointer and middle knuckle. This made sense to me because of my time working in x-ray and the ER. Every boxer's fracture type of injury I saw was either the pinky or pinky and ring knuckle, never the other two. Of course, i'd listen to a boxer on the matter because punches are his specialty.

As for the wrist snap? I've seen a squeezing motion taught on impact or slight digging in motion used. In either case the motion is very small. I'm sure the wrist snap you refer to is something along those lines.

Welcome to Bullshido!

Style
    Zheng Manqing/Chen TJQ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not sure... what are you looking for from the Taiji guy?

If you want to take lessons, see what his classes are like, if he spars, ask who his instructor was, and how long he studied. If he gives you any lip about answering those questions, walk away.

Even if he teaches in a park, he should still be able to tell you who his instructor is/was, and how long he studied.
    =================
    Kama Sutra blue belt.

Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    I used to **** guys like you in prison.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock Ape View Post
    Dude I kill people for a fucking living.

Dipshit

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jspeedy View Post
    As for the wrist snap? I've seen a squeezing motion taught on impact or slight digging in motion used. In either case the motion is very small. I'm sure the wrist snap you refer to is something along those lines.
    Yeah, now that I think of it, he probably exaggerated the motion to demonstrate it.

@Sri Hanuman
    He is a collegue and we just talked about fighting, I wasn't looking for any lessons from him. However, I have no experience in striking, and I am looking for either Boxing or BJJ lessons in the Amsterdam (Netherlands) area. I am more interested in a good way to maintain fitness and learn self-defense techniques (other than run), than in competing.

Thanks for the responses and welcomes guys. I have been comfortable doing bottom3 fist pushups, I'll try it on the top2 as well then.

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just got some instruction, it was actually pretty cool. He is good at getting the opponent (me) off balance, with such easy, that I can definitely learn some things from him. Didn't ask who he got taught by.