Page 1 of 4 1234 Last

Thread: Cross Training

Style
    LHBF
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Cross Training

Is there such a thing as too much CT? I've dabbled in many different arts. And yes, I have actually trained many of the techniques rather than just reading about them in a book and claiming I know the technique. The ones that I find to work incredibly well and with minimal effort, I keep. And so I have no issue with using various techniques from many styles. Whatever works, works. But should there be a limit? And what would a practitioner of various arts, master of none, be called? Someone told me that "freestyle" covered that, but my research showed Freestyle Martial Arts to be synonymous with XMA. :Suspicious:

Style
    street paddleboarding
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think every martial artists should have a core of something that they're good at before they start crosstraining, and that when said crosstraining starts, it shouldn't be self-taught.

Style
    LHBF
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What if you don't have a core? I'm assuming that by having a core you mean have a style you were taught by a proper instructor and, through which, you climbed most of the ranks. I do not have that. I do train techniques with someone that has a lot of proper instruction. He is a 10 year practitioner and black belt in Judo. But, again, I have no actual "school time" in any style.

Style
    Shorin Ryu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So what you are doing is technically not cross training - it's dabbling. Nothing wrong with that if you're having fun and being safe, but it's not the same as training. If you want serious skills, pick one style that you really like and get honest to goodness training in it. A black belt in any reputable dojo will be 4-5 years (minimum) of continuous dedicated training, but then you will have enough basic skills to be able to cross train with some effectiveness and focus, instead of just having a bunch of random techniques. Not only will your skill level be better, but you'll get more out of it as well.

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer. Join us... or die

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by StirringMotion View Post
    I've dabbled in many different arts.
    Dabblers suck.

You suck.

Go fucking train properly.

Style
    LHBF
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by senseipookie View Post
    So what you are doing is technically not cross training - it's dabbling. Nothing wrong with that if you're having fun and being safe, but it's not the same as training.
    Not to sound unappreciative, but isn't training just that, training? Yes, the techniques I train were gained via dabbling, but I do train them. Regardless, thank you. I will pick one style and focus on that. :D

Quote Originally Posted by Lu Tze View Post
    Dabblers suck.

You suck.

Go fucking train properly.
    As in practice a grouping of techniques and strategies for the betterment of the usage of said techniques and strategies in an appropriate setting? Yeah, I do that. They just didn't all come from the same country or school.

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer. Join us... or die

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't care how the **** you rationalize this bullshit to yourself you pontificating fuckwit.

You aren't training with progressive resistance, you aren't sparring, you aren't acquiring any meaningful skills... what you're doing is collecting techniques like they're fucking pokemons.

I don't care if you "know" a million techniques... a guy who's trained one technique properly will still beat you to a pulp.

You suck. Go train properly.

Style
    'Grapplin'
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by StirringMotion View Post
    As in practice a grouping of techniques and strategies for the betterment of the usage of said techniques and strategies in an appropriate setting? Yeah, I do that. They just didn't all come from the same country or school.
    So, you regularly train with a number of people with different physical characteristics and at a range of intensities then?

Style
    LHBF
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lu Tze View Post
    I don't care how the **** you rationalize this bullshit to yourself you pontificating fuckwit.

You aren't training with progressive resistance, you aren't sparring, you aren't acquiring any meaningful skills... what you're doing is collecting techniques like they're fucking pokemons.

I don't care if you "know" a million techniques... a guy who's trained one technique properly will still beat you to a pulp.

You suck. Go train properly.
    OOOOHHH. That's the problem. You're assuming that what I'm doing is just doing a bunch of techniques a few times a month and calling it good. And you assume that I'm taking techniques from a bajillion different styles because I'm stupid and want to be the very best. And you're assuming that when I said "many" I meant millions. I train maybe 12 in total, not accounting for variation based on situation or positioning. I mean, if you want to count a straight punch to the head as a separate technique from a straight to the chest, whatever, but I don't. And you also assume that by training I mean I just sit around talking about it. I have trained against an opponent that, wait for it, actually resists me! :D Cool, right? That's what I was talking about when I said I keep the ones that work well and with little effort. The ones that seemed too technical or too much for flash got thrown out. Anywho, this is just a misunderstanding, but I have a feeling you're set in your assumption. So, by all means, continue flaming me. I don't mind. :D

Style
    LHBF
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Juggernoob View Post
    So, you regularly train with a number of people with different physical characteristics and at a range of intensities then?
    Mmm, sadly, that's where availability comes into play, as my resources are limited. I have a feeling I can't throw out a number that will make you happy, so I won't try. I'll just say no. :)

Page 1 of 4 1234 Last