Sponsored Links Spacer Image

By the Hoary Hand of Hoggoth.....

Posted On:
    2/05/2012 11:09pm

Style: JKD & Mok'bara

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Csaba View Post
    If it is self-defense you are looking for then I would advise you carry around a weapon with you (a knife,gas-spray etc.).defending yourself is much easier with a weapon you can end a fight easier and faster....but if you really want to practice wing tsun I'd say don't, most are crap as other have said(I practice it myself....there aren't many that allow you to spar, or are realistic to say the least) if it really just pure relf-defense you are looking for then I'd say practice a martial art that teaches you to use a weapon that you can conceal and carry with your self(which means no medieval longswords, huge spears. and rifles etc.)
    This is one of the dumbest posts I have read outside of YMAS/Trollshido

Carrying a weapon opens up a plethora of legal problems and ramifications above and beyond the inherent dearth of skills that the "just carry a weapon" crowd possess (or rather DON'T possess)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/06/2012 12:22am

Style: BJJ, Boxing, Indian Clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    TS, Wing Chun is bullshit and everyone here can tell you so. If these schools don't spar don't bother.
    Go to a boxing, MMA, or judo/BJJ place. I guarantee that after 6 months in an MMA/Boxing/BJJ/judo gym, you'd beat the chun sifus, their students, and any potential mugger into oblivion

If you want something practical, pick something that is proven to work every couple weeks in front of millions of people instead of what you're told that works but looks like silly slap fighting any time you see a video of it on YouTube.

By the Hoary Hand of Hoggoth.....

Posted On:
    2/06/2012 2:09am

Style: JKD & Mok'bara

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Or look me up - I teach in Calgary Monday and Friday evenings

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/06/2012 9:24am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Wing Chun

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruiser View Post
    If these schools don't spar don't bother.
    This is really the best answer. You can't learn how to fight without fighting.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/07/2012 6:18pm

Style: Fire and Water Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If I were going to a new area and looking for a school my first instinct would be to find the school that local military and law enforcement people frequenent. If a group of people have a job that requires them to be prepared for violence on a daily basis trust their lives to what is taught there you are probably on the right track.

Keep in mind this doesn't count desk bound cops who have a belly that hangs over their TKD black belt :)

And yes as many have said if they don't spar frequently you are not learning to fight.

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/07/2012 6:36pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricw View Post
    If I were going to a new area and looking for a school my first instinct would be to find the school that local military and law enforcement people frequenent. If a group of people have a job that requires them to be prepared for violence on a daily basis trust their lives to what is taught there you are probably on the right track.

Keep in mind this doesn't count desk bound cops who have a belly that hangs over their TKD black belt :)

And yes as many have said if they don't spar frequently you are not learning to fight.
    Disagree. I know of schools that cater to this demographic, they are just as hit or miss as what us "civies" train.

Many are still close minded about boxing, Bjj, MT and other arts that are fine. We have quite a few that espouse the virtue and greatness of Aikido.

Posted On:
    2/08/2012 12:32pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In answer to the thread-title question:

For your sake, OP, I hope to Hel it isn't.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/29/2012 10:46am

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi i noticed you're in calgary too! so how did it go, did you go to that wing chun class? i have seen it myself, at least you can say the lineage is legit.

Quote Originally Posted by Acosta View Post
    I'm very interested in learing Wing Chun, and I've looked at three schools in my area. I live in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. The closest is 5 minute drive, and the next two are 30 min drive (1 hour busing).

I went into the first school to check it out. There were two sifu's, and they offered me a free day. They teach in a rented room in a community centre.

They have one wooden dummy, and sandbag, and no mats. The sifus were very attentive to me despite me having not paid. I only practiced forms, the basic punch, and block, and punch. I"m not sure how it translates as they were talking chinese.

I don't believe it's a McDojo, but I'm not sure about the school. The sifus let me practice with other people, seniors and juniors. Most of the students are teenagers, but there are plenty of adult learners.

They seem to know what they're talking about in terms of relating the Wing Chun concepts (economy of motion, and strength) to a street Fight. There is some sparring, but no Full contact (which is a bit of a red flag). Classes are $140 for 12 classes.

THis is the website:
    http://www.wing-chun.ca/

These are the other two schools.
    http://vingtsun.
    ca/index.html
    http://www.wingchun-canada.com/
    What do you guys think?

Posted On:
    6/29/2012 11:32am

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by shokenman View Post
    i have seen it myself, at least you can say the lineage is legit.
    Oh, well as long as the lineage is legit ...

Posted On:
    1/05/2013 9:18pm

Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I love working on wing chun and have recently made my own mook jong.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123