Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/10/2011 12:06am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp View Post
    The proper way to do this is to request a name change. Regardless, I banned the taekido account. I'll chalk it up to inexperience on the site, but after this, creation of any additional accounts will result in all accounts being banned.
    Thanks mate! I appreciate that. I wasn't aware of the possibility of a name change sorry. I learnt my lesson not to name myself after an art as well!

Posted On:
    10/10/2011 5:06am

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just got a black eye in BJJ class thats worse than anything i got in Muay Thai.

Don't listen to these people, there are hidden jewjitsu strikes.

Spoiler:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

"Boxing is the art of hitting an opponent from the furthest distance away, exposing the least amount of your body while getting into position to punch with maximum leverage and not getting hit."
    Kenny Weldon

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    10/10/2011 7:32am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    Ja, sure the legal consequences could be severe, but in the topsy turvey world of 'real fighting' BJJ would work out well in that scenario.
    I was talking about the high risk of breaking your hand, not the legal implications.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/10/2011 9:40am

Style: dead lifting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sunburnt View Post
    Hey guys,
    I have a noob question, I have searched on the web about it but I respect the bullshido opinion more.
    In a self defense perspective, is the basic striking trained in BJJ sufficient for a practitioner to hold their own? Say if theoretically in a situation you are unable to grapple?
    I realise this sounds like a stupid question to ask about a grappling art but I am just curious about the limits of pure BJJ.
    Thanks guys!
    I have asked myself the same question, my training/experiance in striking is very limited compared to my grappling. I mainly study martial arts because I enjoy it, but due do my job I do go hands on with violent individuals fairly often. On one hand my grappling has always been sufficient. On the other hand with the popularity of MMA I am running into more people with formal training. Not many but there have been a few. If violence is not part of your job I think avoidence and BJJ will be sufficient for the rare times you will need to defend yourself.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/11/2011 11:26pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Training last night we actually did some striking, just a standard one-two punch like in boxing. We also learned how to chain it into a takedown so I guess we will do a little bit of striking. I think that is pretty much all I am concerned about, learning to throw a punch is something that should be pretty mandatory I think!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/11/2011 11:54pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey if you're looking for reading material I would pick up jiu-jitsu university by Saulo Ribeiro. My judo teacher lent it to me for a few weeks a while back and it was easy enough to read. Also there were tons of pictures to go with the descriptions which is great if you're more of a visual person like me. If I remember right it goes over both basic techniques and strategy to the advanced stuff so there should be something in there for ya.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/14/2011 3:21am

Style: BJJ and Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In the Gracie Barra curriculum you will learn the 1/2 combo and teep kick. Theyll probably go into the very bare bones of slipping punches to set up for takedowns. Youtube is the best way Ive found to get new techniques or variations from media sources, but dont go crazy on youtube and neglect your basics. I would honestly avoid youtube mastery for at least 6 months
    and then start catching the first week guys with your x guard sweeps.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234