Page 2 of 4 First 1234 Last
  1. #11
    PointyShinyBurn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    4,220
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    Against your average assailant striking from the mount on concrete or other surfaces is going to be sufficient to end the fight i.e be devastating.

    If you take down an expert Thai boxer or Boxer it wont be so effective, but in most encounters with random idiots its going to be more than enough end things decisively.
    I'd be pretty careful flailing your fists at someone's head if you don't know how to strike properly and there's concrete behind it.

  2. #12

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Ecuador
    Posts
    1,565
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PointyShinyBurn View Post
    I'd be pretty careful flailing your fists at someone's head if you don't know how to strike properly and there's concrete behind it.
    Forearm smash ftw.

  3. #13
    crappler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    1,747
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ..............no................
    "We often joke -- and we really wish it were a joke -- that you will only encounter two basic problems with your 'self-defense' training.
    1) That it doesn't work
    2) That it does work"
    -Animal MacYoung

  4. #14

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    14
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks guys, good information. It is a very good point that once the assailant is on the ground it is quite easy to strike with elbows etc, ground and pound style. I train Gracie Barra so I guess I shouldn't expect to learn any supplementary striking. I was just thinking that it would be nice to have well rounded skills, with a bit of striking training thrown in. Can I expect to learn some blocking techniques in BJJ against strikers or will it just concentrate on taking the attacker to the ground?

  5. #15

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Ecuador
    Posts
    1,565
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sunburnt View Post
    Thanks guys, good information. It is a very good point that once the assailant is on the ground it is quite easy to strike with elbows etc, ground and pound style. I train Gracie Barra so I guess I shouldn't expect to learn any supplementary striking. I was just thinking that it would be nice to have well rounded skills, with a bit of striking training thrown in. Can I expect to learn some blocking techniques in BJJ against strikers or will it just concentrate on taking the attacker to the ground?
    If you already train at Gracie Barra, why are you asking us what to expect?

  6. #16

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    14
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have only recently started there. I didn't even know what BJJ was before I found Bullshido! I haven't been shown any striking and stuff but I didn't want to assume I would NEVER be shown any, since I haven't been doing it for terribly long :-)

  7. #17
    judoka_uk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    England
    Posts
    4,611
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PointyShinyBurn View Post
    I'd be pretty careful flailing your fists at someone's head if you don't know how to strike properly and there's concrete behind it.
    Ja, sure the legal consequences could be severe, but in the topsy turvey world of 'real fighting' BJJ would work out well in that scenario.

    Bouncing somone's head off concrete whether it be via strikes or takedowns is no laughing matter and shouldn't be undertaken lightly.

  8. #18

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Ecuador
    Posts
    1,565
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    Ja, sure the legal consequences could be severe, but in the topsy turvey world of 'real fighting' BJJ would work out well in that scenario.

    Bouncing somone's head off concrete whether it be via strikes or takedowns is no laughing matter and shouldn't be undertaken lightly.
    An anecdote from a friendly nutter I used to know. "If there's a group of them, take the hardest looking **** to the ground, start bashing his head off the floor until his mates make the decision as to whether they want to give him brain damage or not".

  9. #19

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    14
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Are there any decent books or instructional videos (i.e. non-bullshido stuff) out there about BJJ? It seems to me that its a bit of a minefield out there trying to find decent stuff that cuts the crap and tells the truth.

  10. #20

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Ecuador
    Posts
    1,565
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sunburnt View Post
    Are there any decent books or instructional videos (i.e. non-bullshido stuff) out there about BJJ? It seems to me that its a bit of a minefield out there trying to find decent stuff that cuts the crap and tells the truth.
    No , BJJ is pretty sekrit and deadly, the ancient texts are very rare, and instructional videos can only be viewed under a solar eclipse. Very hard to pinpoint the real BJJ, so many imitators out there, impossible to tell who's who.

Page 2 of 4 First 1234 Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO