Posted On:
    10/09/2011 3:49pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Striking in BJJ sufficient?

Hey guys,
    I have a noob question, I have searched on the web about it but I respect the bullshido opinion more.
    In a self defense perspective, is the basic striking trained in BJJ sufficient for a practitioner to hold their own? Say if theoretically in a situation you are unable to grapple?
    I realise this sounds like a stupid question to ask about a grappling art but I am just curious about the limits of pure BJJ.
    Thanks guys!

Posted On:
    10/09/2011 3:54pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/09/2011 3:54pm

Style: 'Grapplin'

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sunburnt View Post
    Hey guys,
    I have a noob question, I have searched on the web about it but I respect the bullshido opinion more.
    In a self defense perspective, is the basic striking trained in BJJ sufficient for a practitioner to hold their own? Say if theoretically in a situation you are unable to grapple?
    I realise this sounds like a stupid question to ask about a grappling art but I am just curious about the limits of pure BJJ.
    Thanks guys!
    Who teaches you your striking?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/09/2011 3:58pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Noone has taught me any striking haha! I assumed there would be at least some fundamental punches or kicks taught? Or am I totally wrong?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/09/2011 4:05pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No striking. It's a grappling art. Some schools in brazil cover some striking, but its not part of BJJ in general.

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    10/09/2011 4:11pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Some places will teach you some very basic striking. It's rare and never sufficient to be any good at it. Train MT or Boxing if you want to be able to hit people good.

Posted On:
    10/09/2011 4:14pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have heard older BJJ-ers talk about the 80s and 90s making a distinction between 'rolling' and 'sparring'. Sparring being essentially mma rules without gloves and rolling being usual BJJ rules.

I don't think many BJJ clubs have the sparring vs rolling mentality anymore and unless the BJJ club has strong MMA element to it, you're unlikely to find people proficient in striking as much as grappling.

However, even an in-expert striker, but an expert grappler can unleash devastating striking if they know how to obtain dominant position on the ground, which most BJJ-ers know how to do.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/09/2011 4:18pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    I have heard older BJJ-ers talk about the 80s and 90s making a distinction between 'rolling' and 'sparring'. Sparring being essentially mma rules without gloves and rolling being usual BJJ rules.

I don't think many BJJ clubs have the sparring vs rolling mentality anymore and unless the BJJ club has strong MMA element to it, you're unlikely to find people proficient in striking as much as grappling.

However, even an in-expert striker, but an expert grappler can unleash devastating striking if they know how to obtain dominant position on the ground, which most BJJ-ers know how to do.
    True dat. Dont take much striking skill to rain down the pain from a dominant position.

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    10/09/2011 4:20pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    Being a good grappler is enough to make your ground striking unanswered, for the it to be at all 'devastating' you actually have to practise generating power from that position, which a lot of people neglect to do.

Posted On:
    10/09/2011 4:30pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PointyShinyBurn View Post
    Being a good grappler is enough to make your ground striking unanswered, for the it to be at all 'devastating' you actually have to practise generating power from that position, which a lot of people neglect to do.
    Against your average assailant striking from the mount on concrete or other surfaces is going to be sufficient to end the fight i.e be devastating.

If you take down an expert Thai boxer or Boxer it wont be so effective, but in most encounters with random idiots its going to be more than enough end things decisively.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast