224530 Bullies, 3514 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 1 to 10 of 37
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. sunburnt is offline

    Featherweight

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    14

    Posted On:
    10/09/2011 3:49pm

    Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    Striking in BJJ sufficient?

    Hey guys,
    I have a noob question, I have searched on the web about it but I respect the bullshido opinion more.
    In a self defense perspective, is the basic striking trained in BJJ sufficient for a practitioner to hold their own? Say if theoretically in a situation you are unable to grapple?
    I realise this sounds like a stupid question to ask about a grappling art but I am just curious about the limits of pure BJJ.
    Thanks guys!
  2. judoka_uk is offline
    judoka_uk's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    England
    Posts
    4,618

    Posted On:
    10/09/2011 3:54pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
  3. The Juggernoob is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Ecuador
    Posts
    1,565

    Posted On:
    10/09/2011 3:54pm


     Style: 'Grapplin'

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sunburnt View Post
    Hey guys,
    I have a noob question, I have searched on the web about it but I respect the bullshido opinion more.
    In a self defense perspective, is the basic striking trained in BJJ sufficient for a practitioner to hold their own? Say if theoretically in a situation you are unable to grapple?
    I realise this sounds like a stupid question to ask about a grappling art but I am just curious about the limits of pure BJJ.
    Thanks guys!
    Who teaches you your striking?
  4. sunburnt is offline

    Featherweight

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    14

    Posted On:
    10/09/2011 3:58pm

    Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Noone has taught me any striking haha! I assumed there would be at least some fundamental punches or kicks taught? Or am I totally wrong?
  5. The Juggernoob is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Ecuador
    Posts
    1,565

    Posted On:
    10/09/2011 4:05pm


     Style: 'Grapplin'

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No striking. It's a grappling art. Some schools in brazil cover some striking, but its not part of BJJ in general.
  6. PointyShinyBurn is offline
    PointyShinyBurn's Avatar

    Gnarly King of Half-Guard

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    4,220

    Posted On:
    10/09/2011 4:11pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Some places will teach you some very basic striking. It's rare and never sufficient to be any good at it. Train MT or Boxing if you want to be able to hit people good.
  7. judoka_uk is offline
    judoka_uk's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    England
    Posts
    4,618

    Posted On:
    10/09/2011 4:14pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have heard older BJJ-ers talk about the 80s and 90s making a distinction between 'rolling' and 'sparring'. Sparring being essentially mma rules without gloves and rolling being usual BJJ rules.

    I don't think many BJJ clubs have the sparring vs rolling mentality anymore and unless the BJJ club has strong MMA element to it, you're unlikely to find people proficient in striking as much as grappling.

    However, even an in-expert striker, but an expert grappler can unleash devastating striking if they know how to obtain dominant position on the ground, which most BJJ-ers know how to do.
  8. The Juggernoob is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Ecuador
    Posts
    1,565

    Posted On:
    10/09/2011 4:18pm


     Style: 'Grapplin'

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    I have heard older BJJ-ers talk about the 80s and 90s making a distinction between 'rolling' and 'sparring'. Sparring being essentially mma rules without gloves and rolling being usual BJJ rules.

    I don't think many BJJ clubs have the sparring vs rolling mentality anymore and unless the BJJ club has strong MMA element to it, you're unlikely to find people proficient in striking as much as grappling.

    However, even an in-expert striker, but an expert grappler can unleash devastating striking if they know how to obtain dominant position on the ground, which most BJJ-ers know how to do.
    True dat. Dont take much striking skill to rain down the pain from a dominant position.
  9. PointyShinyBurn is offline
    PointyShinyBurn's Avatar

    Gnarly King of Half-Guard

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    4,220

    Posted On:
    10/09/2011 4:20pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    However, even an in-expert striker, but an expert grappler can unleash devastating striking if they know how to obtain dominant position on the ground, which most BJJ-ers know how to do.
    Being a good grappler is enough to make your ground striking unanswered, for the it to be at all 'devastating' you actually have to practise generating power from that position, which a lot of people neglect to do.
  10. judoka_uk is offline
    judoka_uk's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    England
    Posts
    4,618

    Posted On:
    10/09/2011 4:30pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PointyShinyBurn View Post
    Being a good grappler is enough to make your ground striking unanswered, for the it to be at all 'devastating' you actually have to practise generating power from that position, which a lot of people neglect to do.
    Against your average assailant striking from the mount on concrete or other surfaces is going to be sufficient to end the fight i.e be devastating.

    If you take down an expert Thai boxer or Boxer it wont be so effective, but in most encounters with random idiots its going to be more than enough end things decisively.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.