Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Style
    Aikido,Jujistu,Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Common Judo Injuries

I'm going to be starting Judo in this coming week. I've been practicing Aikido and jujitsu for awhile and I'm familiar with particular injuries. In Aikido, I took a few bad injuries to my right knee and to my left shoulder. They have since healed, however I am very cautious about them because they have not been the same since. After my injuries, I have made sure to get to class at least twenty minutes early to do my own stretching before class and I feel it's helped me a lot in injury prevention.

Out of curiosity, what kind of injuries are common in Judo? What should i focus on stretching before class? Any preventative measures I should take additionally?

Style
    Judo,TKD for funzies
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I too have just started Judo so here’s my newb advice. From what I’ve found searching the internet the most common injuries are of the shoulder, knee, and toes coming from poor throwing technique. They can happen in one incident or overtime if the same mistake is being made constantly. So to prevent them pay attention to the throw when it is being taught and when first performing the throw work slowly paying attention to hand and foot placement. Finally ALWAYS be ready to perform a breakfall. At my last lesson we were learning fake out combos but were told not to follow through, just work on foot work and hand motions. I ended up being accidentally thrown three times. Other than that keep on stretching before and after class especially if you have been practicing with people bigger than you it’ll help with the soreness.

Style
    BJJ, judo, rapier
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Before class, you shouldn’t do heavy stretching—you should warm up and perhaps do some light, dynamic stretching to limber up.

After class is the time to do serious stretching. If you do static stretching, after class is when you should do it.

It may not feel that way, but static stretching before a workout is actually associated with an increase, not a decrease, of risk of injury.

If you want more information on this, find some way to attract TheRuss’s attention.
    [ petterhaggholm.net | blog | essays ]
    [ self defence: general thoughts | bjj: “don’t go to the ground”? ]
    “The plural of anecdote is anecdotes, not data.”

Style
    BJJ, Taekwondo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dynamic Stretching FTW!

In my experiences with BJJ, I've found that tendinitis is also surprisingly common due to the constant gripping of the gi. I could only assume it carries over to Judo.

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Loss of skin from the tips of your goddamn fingers. Ow.

Style
    Judo, Aikido
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you have knee problems stay away from the drop seoi nages. Some dojos will teach you to drop to one or both knees to get the seoi nage but in the long run you'll just damage your knees more. My other big piece of advice is to kiai or exhale when thrown, it'll keep you from getting the wind knocked out of you.

Style
    MMA/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Learn to breakfall before you get thrown, so you dont kill your back.

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I came out of judo last night with "golfers" elbow and the skin under finger nails gone. On each finger theres a circle of skin gone, that probably because it was my first serious training wearing the suit and my parter wearing the suit, small but hurts like hell.

Style
    Kendo, Iaido, BJJ noob

Style
    'Grapplin'
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by marcusdbrutus View Post
    Loss of skin from the tips of your goddamn fingers. Ow.
    This. Not really an injury, but if you're doing king of the mat as part of your session, dont drink too much water beforehand and remember to breathe.

You will puke if you dont. I learnt that the hard way.
    Last edited by The Juggernoob; 10/11/2011 6:55am at .

Page 1 of 2 12 Last