Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/09/2011 12:43pm

Style: 'Grapplin'

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by thrutch View Post
    I pay monthly, yes. Not sure about anyone else in the school but I'd assume most would do the same.

No, the classes are in a couple of shared halls. I've seen a Shotokan crowd and a Muslim prayer group around the times when we're in there.

I think (and I may too be wrong) that the red and white blocked is for 8th dan and upwards in Shorinkan Shorin Ryu. Although it might be 6th.

As an aside, who decides whether something is "legitimate" or not?
    Usually the people who have tracable lineages , and certifications. Make up your own shitty karate because you're douchebag, and you're not legitimate. Simple enough.

Take your Sensei Frank Rhinds. A whole page of "history" with not a single verifiable fact on it. Which competetions did he compete in? Which ones did he come first in? Who has he represented england for?

Lol, loving how he cant even spell Kobudo properly, or grasp what it actually is.

Im not saying he's guilty of anything more than the usual krotty bollocks, im just highlighting how things can be legitimate.
    Last edited by The Juggernoob; 10/09/2011 12:51pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/09/2011 12:48pm

Style: Shorin Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Juggernoob View Post
    Usually the people who have tracable lineages , and certifications. Make up your own shitty karate because you're douchebag, and you're not legitimate. Simple enough.
    Fair enough. I'd guess the red and white blocked belt could claim some legitimacy then - the head of the school's a 93yo Okinawan bloke who trained under, and started the school with Choisin Chibana.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/09/2011 12:54pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fair enough. I'd guess the red and white blocked belt could claim some legitimacy then - the head of the school's a 93yo Okinawan bloke who trained under, and started the school with Choisin Chibana.
    But thats just the thing, he isnt the head of the school, he's the founder of the organisation. He has **** all to do with your school.

Posted On:
    10/09/2011 1:02pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Jugg leave it alone mate, its just generic dog shite krotty.

Not worth the effort of hounding.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/09/2011 1:07pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    But thats just the thing, he isnt the head of the school, he's the founder of the organisation.
    So, erm, I'm not sure what your point is.

Is he allowed to decide who can or cannot wear a red and white blocked belt, or is he not "legitimate" enough?

He has **** all to do with your school
    and yes, I'm quite happy to accept that he's probably never been to the idyllic suburb of Clifton, Nottingham.

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    10/09/2011 1:09pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think (and I may too be wrong) that the red and white blocked is for 8th dan and upwards in Shorinkan Shorin Ryu. Although it might be 6th.
    As a matter of interest do you have any idea how old that tradition is within this school of Karate ?
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

~Ella Wheeler

Posted On:
    10/09/2011 1:10pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I pay monthly, yes. Not sure about anyone else in the school but I'd assume most would do the same.

No, the classes are in a couple of shared halls. I've seen a Shotokan crowd and a Muslim prayer group around the times when we're in there.

As an aside, who decides whether something is "legitimate" or not?
    correct. Shorin Ryu uses the candy cane belt.
    "We often joke -- and we really wish it were a joke -- that you will only encounter two basic problems with your 'self-defense' training.
    1) That it doesn't work
    2) That it does work"
    -Animal MacYoung

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/09/2011 1:12pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So, erm, I'm not sure what your point is.

Is he allowed to decide who can or cannot wear a red and white blocked belt, or is he not "legitimate" enough?

and yes, I'm quite happy to accept that he's probably never been to the idyllic suburb of Clifton, Nottingham.
    The point im making is , you've provided him as an example of something that legitimises your school. Im saying he doesnt.

Now if your instructor could prove half the **** he claims, that would legitimise your club.

Posted On:
    10/09/2011 1:18pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The organization is a legitimate organization and Shorin Ryu lineage appears clearly established. While the standards vary from place to place, I have had the opportunity to train at a Shorin Ryu place here in Northern California and found it them to be, hands down, some of the most dangerous dudes around.

yes they spend a lot of time on pressure points and hocus pocus and kata, but they coupled that with hardcore, very physical, live training. They kicked the **** out of me. One belt test I left with a bruise that was literally a foot long and six inches in diameter on my left leg. It was awesome. I was totally defeated.

Standards vary from place to place but my experience of this place is that this is quite posssibly karate. Not krotty.
    "We often joke -- and we really wish it were a joke -- that you will only encounter two basic problems with your 'self-defense' training.
    1) That it doesn't work
    2) That it does work"
    -Animal MacYoung

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/09/2011 1:21pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock Ape View Post
    As a matter of interest do you have any idea how old that tradition is within this school of Karate ?
    I don't I'm afraid. I'd guess Nakazato's used that system since he started the school. Whether it's something that was passed on from Chibana or not I couldn't honestly tell you.

The point im making is , you've provided him as an example of something that legitimises your school. Im saying he doesnt.
    straw man tbf. I haven't once tried to "legitimise my school". I'm not really sure I should have to, should I?

Now if your instructor could prove half the **** he claims, that would legitimise your club.
    see above
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast