Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/14/2011 8:02pm

Style: Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Noobs troll the chun

Hi There

I am a Chunner and agree with the majority sentiment in this thread. I am no Chun expert by any means but I have trained Chun in the UK, Singapore and HK and people do spar, but not in a conventional sense. I am talking about Chi Sau and it can get very physical. Because you are not using any protective gear you do have to exercise a lot of control. I have had a few badly controlled chops to the neck and throat before now (for example) and it is unpleasant to say the least. Having said that no worse than an over enthusiastic arm bar in a BJJ class. A lot of Chun schools, especially in HK where I am now, discourage any moves that can easily cause injury. So not much elbow stuff or kicking to the knees etc. I guess it relates to a fear of litigation or being presented with medical bills. Also classes in HK seem to be a lot less structured than they could be so it is the lazy option to omit the stuff that needs close supervision.

All the best

Berni

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/14/2011 8:08pm

Style: 'Grapplin'

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by berni29 View Post

I am talking about Chi Sau and it can get very physical. Because you are not using any protective gear you do have to exercise a lot of control. I have had a few badly controlled chops to the neck and throat before now (for example) and it is unpleasant to say the least. Having said that no worse than an over enthusiastic arm bar in a BJJ class.

All the best

Berni
    Ok, so now lets compare that to actually getting punched in muay thai and kickboxing for the past 6 years, actually getting thrown in Judo and actually having the tendons in my knee torn by an over excited polish bouncer in a BJJ class.

Go **** yourself.

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/14/2011 8:32pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by berni29 View Post
    Hi There

I am a Chunner and agree with the majority sentiment in this thread. I am no Chun expert by any means but I have trained Chun in the UK, Singapore and HK and people do spar, but not in a conventional sense. I am talking about Chi Sau and it can get very physical. Because you are not using any protective gear you do have to exercise a lot of control. I have had a few badly controlled chops to the neck and throat before now (for example) and it is unpleasant to say the least. Having said that no worse than an over enthusiastic arm bar in a BJJ class. A lot of Chun schools, especially in HK where I am now, discourage any moves that can easily cause injury. So not much elbow stuff or kicking to the knees etc. I guess it relates to a fear of litigation or being presented with medical bills. Also classes in HK seem to be a lot less structured than they could be so it is the lazy option to omit the stuff that needs close supervision.

All the best

Berni
    Chi Sau is not sparring. It leads to terrible bullshit like this:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/14/2011 11:10pm

Style: Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi Juggernoob,

Yes, thats the thing, it does not compare to getting hit in the head or thrown regularly. I have ended up on this forum because I am trying to find my way and work out what I need to be doing, or at least to know that what I am doing is worthwhile in the context of being effective in an unscripted situation.

My work does not let me see pic and vids in the links so I will have to check out the above when back at home.

Tks for the input guys.........

Berni

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/15/2011 2:56am

Style: BJJ, Boxing, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So according to the first video, in competition Wing Chun, you play pattycake while you throw knees to the body?

???

:)

Posted On:
    7/15/2011 3:40am

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No foot to the boys...he was beggin for it, in that second vid.

@ berni, welcome to Bullshido. It's nice to have you, consider an introduction in newbietown. Not required, but it's a loving place. Click on the spoiler at the bottom of my signature for helpful advice for Bullshido beginners.
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=64 <<<< newbietown.

As for your goals to improve your chun, if you're aiming to take it into any highly alive setting, wearing pads is a great idea. To practice something hard enough to actually hurt someone, without hurting training partners, requires padding, unless everything gets pulled, but in that case, how can anyone attain the muscle memory, to do it all out, on demand?

Also, losing the triangle stance is key, in my opinion. Most people don't stand like that, when really pressured, so why train like anyone would? Were they to, tackling is quite possibly imminent, and no elbow to the spine is likely to change that. That or the knee/foot/fist to the boys.

I got shin kicked in the temple (not d3adly...ha!) grappling Strikestanian (another poster/ammy mma fighter) fairly recently. We weren't even throwing hands, or striking at all....but I got a nice bubble-welt, for a few days. We kept going after a moment, and he continued to school-wtf-pwn me into a sub. Good Tymes.
    **** (injuries) happen(s)

@IIF, that 2nd vid failed so hard, the lights went off in my room. It looks fun, but wtf for martial? more like marital.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/15/2011 4:08am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Chi Sau is not sparring. It leads to terrible bullshit like this:

Arghhhhh, stop trying to hit each other and throw a real fecking punch!!

On the plus side though you get to meet hot chicks and almost touch them...
    Last edited by philmgriffin; 7/15/2011 4:17am at .

:)

Posted On:
    7/15/2011 4:17am

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/15/2011 4:30am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Jesus H Christ, what's wrong with you man? FFS just park somewhere else, you live in a terrible neighborhood! I'm just glad that all of the car thieves are so easily killed/knocked out with a mixture of manners and foom foom foom.

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/15/2011 8:34am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There's an entire thread on this guy. Hey was the one that got the bullshido video account pulled from youtube IIRC.
Page 1 of 24 1 234511 ... LastLast